RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

lOW BAND HIGH BAND

Old 07-21-2005, 05:16 PM
dqman40rock
My Feedback: (89)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default lOW BAND HIGH BAND

Can anyone tell me if it is okay to put a channel 56 crystal in a Futaba reciever that was channel 20? I know you should not put a high crystal in a transmitter that had a low band but what about this?
Thanks
Darren
Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: lOW BAND HIGH BAND

you are very mixed up. there is no such thing as high or low band in transmitters. what you think you know applies to recievers and it is correct.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 PM
dqman40rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well then I am confused because I called tower regarding my futaba transmitter and they told me if I changed the crystal in the transmitter to a low I would have to send it in to have it adjusted for low.
So I am still confused. But please enlighten me. I have been flying smaller aircraft for a while and none of this mattered to me. Now that I have much more wieght in the air I am trying to be more careful.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 07:55 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

High/low band refers to the tuning of recievers and only Futaba recievers. They have since stopped the practice and the newer recievers are again center tuned as I will describe below.

Recievers are tuned to the middle of the 72 mhz band. Then you put a crystal in and that sets the exact freqency. Futaba broke the band in 2, high (channel 36 and up) and low (35 and down) and center tuned thier recievers to the middle of those bands.

So the answer to your question is yes, you should have your reciever re-tuned if you switch bands. Some people just throw a crystal in and go but the question you need to ask, is the 15 dollars it costs you to get your reciever tuned correctly worth more or less than the cost of replacing whatever your putting it in.

Also the act of tuning occasionaly shows faults that would have other wise gone undetected and caused a crash that would have gotten blamed on a "radio glitch" or "interference".

Trasmitters are either tuned to the channel whose crystal they have or the RF modules are tuned exactly to that channel hence the hi/low band designation really doesn't apply.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 PM
dqman40rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So then,
If I put a JR in my plane I dont have to worry about high or low? Thanks for the info.
Also I have heard it from both sides regarding PCM and PPM. I would like to hear your side. I have Christen Eagle 29%. Its ready to go but if I want to fly I will have to wait for my PCM to arrive in the mail which will come but who knows when. I was considering using my PPM for now and making sure my reciever is back away from my ZDZ gas motor. And making sure my antenna is not touching any metal. I have flown this way on another gas plane I have and had no problems. But this is a very nice plane and if its a risky thing to do I will wait.
What do you think?
Thanks
Darren
Old 07-23-2005, 08:16 AM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

unfortunately the ch 56 xtal will not work in jr reciever
Old 07-23-2005, 08:33 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't fly any gas but if I did I would lean towards PCM just because the damn things are so electricaly noisy.

I have found that when I rushed things because I was impatient is when I get bitten. With a georgous bipe like that, its probably worth the wait.

And you are correct JR does not have any hi/lo band issues but you need to make sure your using JR crystals.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:00 PM
dqman40rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice. Hard as it is, waiting is always a good thing in this hobby and often time a something you have to do since you cant just go down to the grocery store and pick up some servos and a reciever for your plane. And with the big planes the hobby shops dont even cater to us at least here in WA.
I thought the cut off for high low was 35 and down, 36 and up with Futaba. I have a channel 35 futaba reciever so it is something I will check into to make sure.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:45 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats what I said (thanks to the Edit key)

Your right 11-35 is low and 36-60 is high. Its right on the edge of tuning for either band. The safe bet is to have it tuned by Hobby Services or Radio South.