Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Who wants a Stylus "10" from Airtronics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 02:59 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who wants a Stylus "10" from Airtronics?

I am looking for feedback to point to Airtronics that the world of Airtronics users is desperate for the radio to be upgraded to be competitive with the market place competition. Users who I have talked to with the Stylus love the radio, features, programming, and the physical qualities of the radio with one exception:

WE WANT MORE CHANNELS! (preferably, all proportional and all with full resolution)

If you are a user, make yourself heard on this forum or call Bobby Tom at Airtronics. Airtronics america seems to know that the market wants 10 channel (or more) Stylus, but the folks in Japan just don't seem to get it(where it's built).

Any thoughts?

Jeff Lovitt
Davis, CA
[email protected]
Old 10-18-2002, 05:30 PM
Tree Top Flyer

Jeff,

Airtronics has been very quiet about a new Stylus. It has been asked several times on the Airtronics list and I have not seen an answer from anyone with the authority to say for real.

A quick look around would seem to indicate that 8 channels is not enough for many types of models. Jets in particular. A friend of mine was interested in the Stylus until he started listing the functions for his new jet.

1 throttle
2 left aileron
3 elevator
4 rudder
5 gear
6 engine mixture
7 right aileron
8 flaps
9 brakes
10 2nd gear channel
11 2nd elevator channel

I would think scale could use more channels too.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my Stylus and so is my son. But, some day we might have a need the extra channels.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stylus

10 would be great, 12 would be super. On my most recent jet, I ran out of channels and even had to do the 4 wire servo reverse thing to get the job done (2 flap servos on a Y). Nothing left for separating nose gear from rudder like I normally do, speed brake, gyro gain, smoke control, or other mixes such as Crow that I'd like to try. Actually, I coulda got one back by going single channel on the turbine.

They also need to "fix" the flap and spoiler programing so us average programmers can get a simple switched 3 position control.

Best part about the Airtronics stuff is that I've never seen any of the problems others have with long leads, antenna positioning, 5 cell packs, need for regulators, etc.

Definitely interested, else I'm going to ultimately have to go to JR like the rest of the jet crowd.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:44 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stylus 10

I've asked Jack Albrecht point blank more than once about a Stylus 10 and he says there's no 10 channel in the works. Argghhhhh!
I think Airtronics is going on the assumption that since the Infinity 10 was such a dissappointment sales wise that the market won't support another 10 channel radio, and I keep telling them that the Infinity 10 sold poorly because of the radical case design, not because it was a 10 channel. Look at the 600 and 660 sales record for verification!
Old 10-20-2002, 05:49 PM
jlovitt

Default Infinity Cases

Having flown a 660 a for 3-4 seasons before getting my Stylus, the case definitely grew on me. Those were good radios that seemed to sell okay-- but not great. The 1000 was hindered also by the fact that it was not distributed to dealers.. If you wanted one, you had to go direct to Airtronics and I think at the time, it was overpriced for the market.

What I don't understand is that Airtronics replaced the Infinity six with the RD series of radios which to me look and feel like garbage-- they are cheap toylike radios in comparson to the Infinity.

The stylus on the other hand is every bit the competitor to the Futaba and JR radios from the outside. The capability on the inside should not be that hard to do since the 10 channel receiver already exists from the 1000 and so does the RF module etc.

I would personally love to see them go beyond 10 channels and blow the market away with 12-- they will sell. I just listed out the channels for a warbird project that I have on the board and if I could do things the way I want, with no channel constraints, I could use 12 channels between aux functions, and 2 servo type mixing...

I just hope they figure it out in time...

Jeff Lovitt
Davis, CA
Old 10-21-2002, 02:19 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default 10 Ch Airtronics Radio's

I asked Brian at Airtronics 2 years ago about a 10 ch Stylus ... he said he was talking to the head honcho's in Japan about it ...

PS

I have an Infinity 1000A ten channel with two Tx modules and the 10 ch PCM receiver (2 crystals to match the Two modules), metal transport case, DSC cord and tacho (for up to 5 blade props). It will drive all FM receivers (it has FM Invert). Amazing radio but I don't need 10 channels. It's in perfect condition.

Anyone interested? Post back here.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:18 AM
jlovitt

Default interested

I might be interested in one. Questions:

are the frequencies on 72 mhz? (American standard frequencies?)

Do you know if the stylus 8 channel pcm recievers will work with this radio?

I don't know what these are selling for-- how much do you want?

Jeff
Old 10-21-2002, 02:57 PM
Rex
My Feedback: (18)

I wish they would reintroduce the Infinity 1000, or at least an eight channel. I had a 660 and loved the case - easy to clean, no fake chrome, no three inch switches to snag and break. I think it was way ahead of it's time and didn't catch on then.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:50 PM
jlovitt

I also had a 660 and though initially I thought it a little weird, the case really grew on me.. Your point about keeping it clean is now remembered-- I had forgotten that was much easier than the radios most manufacturers are selling...

Jeff
Old 10-21-2002, 09:15 PM
fiery

Default Infinity's

I still use my 660 I bought in 1996. I can't bring myself to part with it. I love it! I have 4 of the 6 channel PCM receivers that work with it.

I only ever broke the drop down window on it. Brian at Airtronics sold me a new one, with new clear plexi glass, total cost about $5 as I recall.

It still looks new. Works as new. Never missed a beat. On it's third battery pack now - a 1500 ma one I got from Cermark. It works great.

It bandwidth tested at a mass test at our club last year as the "tightest" signal of any Tx! The JR boys didn't like that ...

Every time I hold a newer Tx I think how far ahead Airtronics were with this radio. Too far ahead really. And people like plasti- chrome and long switches unfortunately.

fiery
Old 10-22-2002, 03:07 PM
jlovitt

I'm still trying to figure out if the Stylus 8 ch pcm receiver uses the same 1024 modulation as the Infinity 1000 reciever. I have a call into Airtronics to find out also. If I do commit to purchasing one of these, I would like to be able to find more of the 10 channel receivers...

Do you have any digital pics of the radio and the extras?

Jeff
Old 10-22-2002, 05:23 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default new 8ch TX

Originally posted by Rex
I wish they would reintroduce the Infinity 1000, or at least an eight channel.
They've announced an RD8000. Guess how many channels it has.

As for PCM rx compatibility between the Infinity and Stylus I swear I remember a not in the manual which stated that the receivers were not compatible. I'll dig out my manual later and check.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Rex
My Feedback: (18)

An RD8000, no way. I can't stand the cheap molded plastic handle on the RD6000. Even the old Quasar looked expensive beside the RD series. The Infinity was elegant, I too wish it were a bit narrower, it was quite a reach to the inner corners when burying the sticks.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:45 AM
Joe B.
My Feedback: (1)

I dont like the looks of any of the RD series to be honest and I dont like the old LCD displays. I like the dot-matrix style graphic displays all the way around with graphs, pictures, etc. I have a Radiant 6P and *thought* about going to the stylus but was conserned with it's 'age' and wanted to wait for a newer model. Well, the RD8000 came out and I dont like the looks the way it looks, sorry, it's too much plastic, not enough metal and I just dont like the look of it. I also PREFER my screen at the bottom of my TX despite others saying it's eaiser to see while flying up above. Hello, I dont take my eyes off my plane because I'd probably loose sight of it so I dont want a screen poking out of the top. Not that I'm against Futaba, but I've always liked the "underdog" airtronics and until my last issue they have been 100% trouble free (TX problem). Unfortunately, I'm vain and the 9C looks good and the layout is intuitive (others at my field have them). And at $260 for TX only is looking to be too much transmitter to compete with anyones sub $500 transmitter so I'm probably jumping ship

- Joe
Old 10-29-2002, 01:54 PM
aksmithrc

I recently purchased a little-used Stylus with two receivers. I realy like the Stylus, but like some others who have responded here, I have (and still use) an IN660 which I purchased in 1994....I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

I, too, am interested in 10 channels in the Stylus and would be interested in that upgrade if it were made available.

Another point to me would be the 10 model memory like the new RD 8000 will have so as not to have to use the model memory expansion card.

By the way, if any of you guys have a model memory expansion card you don't want anymore let me know. I am also interested in the aero card.

On the subject of the 92985 PCM RX which was compatible with the IN 1000, it is not compatible with the Stylus.

[email protected]
Old 10-31-2002, 04:53 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

There's a fellow selling Stylus program and memory cards in the Swapshop. He's pretty proud of them, tho.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:37 AM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default Infinity 10

Fiery:
I am very interested in your 10 ch Infinity. I love the radio. Email me regarding the price you want to [email protected]
I sent a letter to Bobby Tom last week requsting a 10 ch. I also asked for a mixing program for gear doors. It should be able to program both the P-51 style and the P-47 style.

Jeff: Did you get the Tony back together yet?
Brian