RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6v battery voltage

Old 07-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Edge 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 6v battery voltage

I know the title sounds dumb.
I have a goldberg extra with a futaba 3003 and 4 3010's running off a 5 cell 1700mah receiver pack. Today I got the first flights in and after range checking, some programming, and 4 normal length flights I checked the battery voltage. It registered 6.71 volts.
The battery is a sanyo nicad, and I was wondering at what voltage should the battery be recharged. This is my first experience with 6v receiver packs and I don't have an onboard battery monitor for it yet.
thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 06:00 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 6v battery voltage

I would never let a pack go below 1.2 per cell (unless of course I am discharging or cycling)
so 6v would be my absolute lowest

but I usually take 2 or 3 planes to the field and pop my plane on the charger for a quick top up between flights.....

fly one, charge another, rotate....etc
Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When it gets just below 6 volts is when I recharge. The battery can hold at 6 volts for a while. So I'd say 5.9 volts.

ORIGINAL: Ultra Stick

I know the title sounds dumb.
I have a goldberg extra with a futaba 3003 and 4 3010's running off a 5 cell 1700mah receiver pack. Today I got the first flights in and after range checking, some programming, and 4 normal length flights I checked the battery voltage. It registered 6.71 volts.
The battery is a sanyo nicad, and I was wondering at what voltage should the battery be recharged. This is my first experience with 6v receiver packs and I don't have an onboard battery monitor for it yet.
thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Edge 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok,
I'm pretty happy with the time I got on it. All that running time and it was still at 6.7.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Red7fifty
My Feedback: (73)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ultra Stick,
My advice, cycle the battery, with a proper charge, either a good peak detection, or better yet, good overnight charge at the proper current, which in your case would be a 170 mAh charge rate overnight. I run the same spec packs in my 33%, so I will share with you my experience. Cycle it, and read your mAh, and write it down. This is your reference for a full pack. Then, fly a few flights, record how many flights, cycle the rest of the pack down, and record that number, what's left. Subtract the two numbers, and divide by the number of flights, and you get an average mAh consumption per flight. If you divide a full charge by the average per flight, you will get a ball park idea how many flights you should be able to get. Now, once you figure that out, take voltage readings before and after every flight, and note the changes. You don't want to use up all your juice, you need to leave a reserve. I like to leave at least 30%. Bigger planes put a bigger load on the battery, especially during moves like snaprolls, which load everything. If your low on juice, you could pull more amps out of the pack then is left, and that is a major bad situation, (crash that could've been avoided). As for the onboard voltage monitor, I wouldn't bother. It only reads static. You need a good ESV that can put a load on the battery. 250 mAh load is typical of smaller planes, but larger planes, running lots of servos, and digitals, flying 3D, ect will load your system much more. I like to load test at least 500 mAh to 1 amp.