RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9Z Antenna Replacement - DIY??

Old 08-03-2005, 03:39 PM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 9Z Antenna Replacement - DIY??

I know Futaba says to send it in for service in this case, but has anyone ever replaced their antenna on a 9Z. It must have been a 9Z, because it is completely different than any other antenna replacement in a Futaba radio. Some level of disassembly is required. Unfortunatly, I have a IMAC event this weekend and I do not have time to send it in. I have a new antenna ready to install. I'm just getting cold feet.

Help me fell better........
Old 08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba 9Z Antenna Replacement - DIY??

To change the antenna on the 9Z you need an allenwrench and a pair of pliers.

Open battery compartment and remove battery.
At the top of the compartment is a hole with a allen bolt in it. This bolt screws into the bottom of the antenna. Hold the TX with the antenna pointing upward and using the wrench loosen the bolt. You may have to use pliers on the thickest segment of the antenna to pervent it from turning. Holding the loose bolt unscrew the antenna.
Keep upward pressure on the bolt and pull out the old antenna. Insert new antenna and tighten bolt.
If you let the bolt fall out of the hole some internal components will fall into the guts of the Tx.

Fritz
Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Kregg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim & Fritz,
Perhaps you can help me another step. I followed your instructions and have the new antenna in place (sort of).

When removing the old antenna, I used pliers to hold the antenna stationary while loosening the bolt in the batt compartment. It was tighter than I expected and I dented/crushed the old antenna a bit. That is fine since it was trash any ways. Holding the bolt in the same position I inserted the new antenna. I finger tightened the new antenna and held the bolt with a wrench. It has gone on until I could not hold the antenna without it spinning in my grasp. I did not want to damage the new antenna so I stopped there. It felt tight.

Last evening I went to fly. Range with the antenna all the way down and moved in a circle around the aircraft about 75 feet out. Range check without the engine running was just fine. Range check with the DA running and I got throttle glitches in the both 3/4 forward positions. It was intermittent. When a signal was lost, I could touch the new antenna and the signal would come back.

Back to the pits and the radio antenna screw. I feel a slight wiggle with the antenna up and down and I'm pretty sure the bolt is not set all the way into the antenna. I can not squeeze the antenna any more without crushing it. If I could hold it tighter, I might be able to tighten up the bolt more.

Option 1: Go find one of those rubber jar lid grippers and see if I can tighten her more.
Option 2: Open up the box. NOT!
Option 3: Send it back to Futaba with my tail between my legs for trying something they do not recommend and miss my IMAC event on the 20th. Arghhh!! I can not even practice!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 AM
gnichola

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kregg, what kind of "wrench" are you using? Are you using a hex driver? If not, get one that fits, I forget the size of the thing now, and since I sold the radio I won't be able to figure it out.

I pushed the antenna all the way down, got the short end of my angled allan driver in the head of the bolt, and then pushed on the allan driver to raise the antenna so that there was enough to grab on to. With a normal angled allan driver you should have about an inch and a half of antennae sticking up on top of the tx. Grab it with your fingers and a piece of rubber or something like that and you should be able to get it tight enough.

Later, Guy
Old 08-17-2005, 05:32 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All that bolt does is hold a plastic "washer" to the bottom of the antenna. The washer hits a stop at the top of the TX which prevents the antenna from coming out of the top of the TX when extended. It has nothing to do with signal path. The antenna is energized by some springy clip things in the swivel ball at the top of the antenna. Antenna will rangecheck just fine with our without the bolt and washer. It is possible you sprung the springy clip things. They get loose over time. Do you feel a "click" when you extend the antenna? The base should lock into place when you extend the antenna. Does the antenna wobble in the ball when extended?
Old 08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Kregg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your comments John. I sent it back to Futaba on Monday. I will let you know what they say.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:26 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kregg
Last evening I went to fly. Range with the antenna all the way down and moved in a circle around the aircraft about 75 feet out.
I thought you range tested the 9Z with one segment up. In the manual it say never to turn on and leave the ant. collapsed or you can cook some of the components, and this is why you test 1 segment out. You could have already done some damage.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
rcheliflyer9

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Fritz. I had a spare antenna, and I was about to send the 9Z back to Champaign when I read your post. I did exactly what you said, and in 5 minutes, I was good to go.

Thanks so much for putting this help on RC Universe.

Roger