Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Changing channel (from 56 to ?) on Futaba 9C Super.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Changing channel (from 56 to ?) on Futaba 9C Super.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Hog Head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing channel (from 56 to ?) on Futaba 9C Super.

I just got my Fathers Day Gift (a little late but worth the wait), a Futaba 9C Super. Can I change the frequency in the RF module with a new crystal or do I need to buy another module for a different frequency? I plan on getting the new synthesized module but would like just change crystals for now if possible.

Thanks, Gene
Old 08-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Ross Kean

Default RE: Changing channel on Futaba 9C Super.

You need another module.

Ross
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Hog Head

I guess I will be ordering that synthesized module sooner than expected. Probably cheaper in the long run any way.

Thanks, Gene
ORIGINAL: Ross Kean

You need another module.

Ross
Old 08-05-2005, 07:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Wow this really scares me when I hear this question.
FYI The reason that Futaba went to the trouble of making modules is so that users could legally and safely change the channel on their transmitters. Everything that needs to be tuned is in the module so its legal from an FCC standpoint.

Sell the module in the classified section and get a new one or a synth. I never had a problem unloading a new one in short order.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:21 PM
padoni
My Feedback: (2)

Caution here!!!! When you get your new sync. module, remember that fooling with the module(that is when you learning to use it) you are in danger of interfearing with another pilots flite. This sounds very basic but I have seen it happen. Other than that it very easy to use. Happy flying.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Hog Head

Don't let my question scare you. My first radio was a 6XAS and of course it does not have a module. So, never having a radio with a module, I was just asking if you changed from say channel 56 to another channel by simply changing a crystal in the module or if I had to buy another module. Of course after seeing that a new module is $54.99 at TH, I think I will be buying the Synth module for only $89.99 and it will cover all of the channels that I use.
ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

Wow this really scares me when I hear this question.
FYI The reason that Futaba went to the trouble of making modules is so that users could legally and safely change the channel on their transmitters. Everything that needs to be tuned is in the module so its legal from an FCC standpoint.

Sell the module in the classified section and get a new one or a synth. I never had a problem unloading a new one in short order.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Hog Head

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely wouldn't want to shoot down someone's plane.

Gene
ORIGINAL: padoni

Caution here!!!! When you get your new sync. module, remember that fooling with the module(that is when you learning to use it) you are in danger of interfearing with another pilots flite. This sounds very basic but I have seen it happen. Other than that it very easy to use. Happy flying.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:04 PM
BarracudaHockey

What scares me more is there are people that will just go ahead and try it without asking.

I've heard the synth modules called "Dial - A - Crash" but like anything else, a little common sense goes a long way.

It sounds like you have some, I hope it didn't come across otherwise.

Happy flying!
Andy
Old 08-05-2005, 02:15 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between my Hitec Prism 7, Eclipse 7, and now my Futaba 9C, I have been using TX synthesizers for 5 years. You do have to pay attention to what your doing. I have, on more than one occasion, forgotten to switch my channels. Fortunately, I have not cause any problems with other's airplanes. It is extremely rare for me to make those mistakes these days -- checking/changing model memories and channels are second nature.

NOTE: I tag all my model memories with the channel number -- the last 2 characters. When I pick up my TX I first check the channel indicators and grab the frequency flag for the channel. I switch on the TX and check/change model memory for the airplane I'm going to fly. Only after I have changed the model memory and subsequently shut off the TX will I then change the channel and grab the new frequency flag.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Changing channel (from 56 to ?) on Futaba 9C Super.

You have to unplug the module to change the frequency so you will only be able to shoot down the pilot on the frequency that you are going to.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:00 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing channel (from 56 to ?) on Futaba 9C Super.

ORIGINAL: Geistware

You have to unplug the module to change the frequency so you will only be able to shoot down the pilot on the frequency that you are going to.

Actually that is only true for the Hitec Spectrum and only if you don't drill a couple of peek holes like others that I have seen.

This is what the Futaba 9C Synthesizer looks like (actually this picture is not correct, there is also a window slide switch that allows you to cover the switches with clear plastic window):

Old 08-31-2005, 12:10 AM
archiebald

Forgive me if I am incorrect but wasn't the original question confusingly stated?

I read it as if he wanted to change the CHANNEL from 56 to something else - if so then it is only necessary to change crystal, not the module. Futaba modules are available in a Lo and Hi band version - you only need to change module if you are going to a channel that is in the other band.

Of course if he really meant CHANGE FREQUENCY then that is a different matter.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:57 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Yes you can change the crystal in the module to another channel. Its cheaper than buying an entire new module. I think you can buy a crystal for like 10 bucks

Some paranoid people here will try to tell you that you cannot change crystals, but that is not true. There is lots of disagreement on the rules about this, but in the end, read them yourself and you will see that nothing prohibits you from changing a crystal. Go for it, just dont advertise it here that you did, because they will hang you from the nearest tree [sm=surprised.gif]
Old 08-31-2005, 01:04 AM
archiebald

JettPilot,
What "rules"?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 AM
Hog Head

What I meant was; Can I change the channel from 56 to say 48. I had never had a radio with a module, only crystals. I have learned that you can't. Futaba says I would need to buy another module for a different channel unless I bought the Synthesized module.

Gene
ORIGINAL: archiebald

Forgive me if I am incorrect but wasn't the original question confusingly stated?

I read it as if he wanted to change the CHANNEL from 56 to something else - if so then it is only necessary to change crystal, not the module. Futaba modules are available in a Lo and Hi band version - you only need to change module if you are going to a channel that is in the other band.

Of course if he really meant CHANGE FREQUENCY then that is a different matter.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Hog Head

Futaba told me I couldn't change the crystal. Now if they are just trying to sell me more modules or a synthesized module I don't know. My first radio was a 6XAS and I got the Super 9CAP for Fathers Day.

Gene
ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Yes you can change the crystal in the module to another channel. Its cheaper than buying an entire new module. I think you can buy a crystal for like 10 bucks

Some paranoid people here will try to tell you that you cannot change crystals, but that is not true. There is lots of disagreement on the rules about this, but in the end, read them yourself and you will see that nothing prohibits you from changing a crystal. Go for it, just dont advertise it here that you did, because they will hang you from the nearest tree [sm=surprised.gif]
Old 08-31-2005, 03:39 AM
archiebald

As far as I can tell, from the horses mouth, it can be done technically but not legally (at least in the USA)

This is from the Futaba FAQ pages

How do I change the frequency of my transmitter?

For a module unit: to change the frequency you simply remove the module and replace it with a module on the new channel. You can even change 'bands' (IE 72MHz to 75MHz). All radio frequency circuitry is in the module so there is no need to 'retune' after a module change. (However, the receiver cannot be similarly changed to change bands. If you go to a new band you MUST buy a new receiver on that band. Please see the note below regarding crystal changes, which is valid for ANY receiver where you are changing within one frequency band.) DO NOT attempt to change transmitter frequency by changing the crystal within the module. You must use a module which is properly tuned to the frequency desired.

For a unit with crystals: We CANNOT recommend changing crystals to a different frequency. Changing the crystal on your transmitter is illegal unless you have the proper license. The FCC has established guidelines for the modeler's safety and for the safety of spectators. For safety and FCC reasons we must request that both TX and RX be sent to the service center to ensure proper crystal change and retuning to the new frequency. Crystal based radios cannot be converted to another band without parts replacement, and may not be able to be converted at all. Certain radios can be converted, for example, from 72 to 75MHz. Please contact the service center for any other conversions.

The applicable Federal Regulation is as follows:

TITLE 47—TELECOMMUNICATION COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95—PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES

Subpart E—Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when
manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter
enclosure.

(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency
determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency
determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
considered modules and must not be accessible to the user.
From this site http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/service-faq.html

So the Synthesized module looks even more attractive.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:52 AM
Hog Head

ORIGINAL: archiebald

So the Synthesized module looks even more attractive.
Definitely! I currently use three channels and at $55 for each module at TH, $90 isn't so bad. What you quoted from Futaba is the same thing that they told me.

Gene
Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 AM
BarracudaHockey

The simple solution, unless you have a freqency conflict at the field your trying to avoid, is to get all your reciever crystals on the same channel as your 9C. I have 8 models, all with the same channel recievers.

If you want flexibilty get a synth module, its safe and legal.

Old 08-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Hog Head

Thats the plan once I get the extra $90. I'm not getting any time to fly right now so I am just building.

Gene
ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

The simple solution, unless you have a freqency conflict at the field your trying to avoid, is to get all your reciever crystals on the same channel as your 9C. I have 8 models, all with the same channel recievers.

If you want flexibilty get a synth module, its safe and legal.