Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR / Futaba TX ??? (Not again)

Old 08-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Flightspoiler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR / Futaba TX ??? (Not again)

Sorry if I'm "beating a dead horse" by asking my question.
At present I have an older Futaba Skysport 6a TX, and would to upgrade to a computerized radio.
I've spent many hours reading posts, polls, etc only confusing myself with data overload.
I've decided to purchase either the JR6102 PCM or the Futaba 7Cap PCM TX. (leaning towards the JR model)
My intent here is not to entertain any thought of starting another JR / Futaba debate.
Having said all this, as an intermediate flier I would like a radio that offers:

A) Programming simplicity
B) JR / Fubata compatabilty (Eg JR TX flying my Futaba RX airplane, neg / postive shift???)
C) Best value for my money well spent.

Thanks for your time,

Cheers Al
Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
patterndreamer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: JR / Futaba TX ??? (Not again)

A) from my experience the 7cap is easier to program beause of the dial programming.
B) JR generally doesn't have pos/neg shift while the futaba does, so depends if you have a futaba system already, well...
C) I think both radios are a great value and it just depends on what you own currently.

Hope this helped,

patternd
Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

patterndreamer

in reply to your last post my futaba 7c does Not have the positive or negative shift selectibality. I don't know anything about Jr becasue I never seen them except for in magazines but the only radio that has the shift selectibility are some hitechs as far as I know. I'm not sure but maybe some Airtronics have this also.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
patterndreamer

sorry about that rccrazed man's right. No shift select on eiter, so one pso, and ones negative. Do you have any exisiting radio gear that futaba or anything?

patternd
Old 08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Flightspoiler

I have just 1 aircraft with a Futaba radio. Just wondering if a JR system would fly my Futaba rx, with this shift concern.
How does this "pos / neg shift" affect the operating system of a radio? In other words What does it do???
Cheers Al
Old 08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
carrellh

In the US market, on 72 mhz, JR transmitters will NOT communicate with Futaba receivers. Don't understand the 'shift stuff' (don't care enough to learn) but I know it doesn't work between these two brands. So, if you buy a JR transmitter you'll need a JR receiver and crystal for your existing plane.

OR, just use the Futaba with the existing plane and JR with any new ones.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
patterndreamer

yeah but i imagine he wants to use the new radio with the existing plane. So go futaba.

patternd
Old 08-01-2005, 07:08 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JR/ Airtronics have pos shift and are compatable. Futaba and Hitec have negative shift and are compatable. Airtronics can be switchrd to fly JR or Futaba, on their computerized radios.
If you will be dealing with a LHS, you may want to see what brand they tend to support for future purchases. If by mail that is not a concern.
Buying a new radio is like buying a new car. No brand is actually "better", they are just differant, so you need to get the one with features that suit you. The key is research, and a lot of it.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Flightspoiler

Although it appears both JR and Futaba offer similiar features, at the end of the day it really comes down to which one "feels right" for the buyer.
I think Patterd is correct as to suggest in sticking with Futaba TX atleast in my case.
Thanks all for your much appreciated input.
Al
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Flightspoiler

Although it appears both JR and Futaba offer similiar features, at the end of the day it really comes down to which one "feels right" for the buyer.
I think Patterd is correct as to suggest in sticking with Futaba TX atleast in my case.
Thanks all for your much appreciated input.
Al
If you've got your heart set on JR, go ahead and make the switch. Once you've got the JR, sell your existing Tx and Rx. However, there's also much to be said for just sticking with Futaba so you have your existing Tx as a spare in case your new one needs to be serviced.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only in North America is Futaba on negative shift for 72MHz. The rest of the world is on positive shift. Futaba ham freqs are also on positive shift. I fly JR and have a Futaba ham receiver I got from someone else and my transmitter flies it just fine.

As for ease of programming, it's probably pay your money and take your choice. Futabas used to be a bear to program. They have revised the programming several times, but now seem to have it right.

JR has been consistant in their computer radios program since the first. I'm on my 5th JR computer radio and from the Galaxy to now, things haven't changed much and it has been rather easy from day 1. I have used buttons and a touch screen on the 10 channel and have tried the wheel on Futabas and the thumb wheel on the JR 9303. I still like the push buttons on the 8103, but I can see where different people would like different methods.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Flightspoiler, I was stuck with those same two choices not too long ago. I really liked the JR, but i had a plane that had Futaba gear in it (my Nexstar). Tower had a deal going on that made the 7CAP a sweeter deal, so I got it and haven't looked back. I have absolutley no compaints with the 7C and now that I think about, I'm pretty happy I picked it. The menus are pretty straight forward, and one or two night of playing with them and you can zip right through them....And now I think Horizon Hobby has put the wrong price on [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRP6667**]this[/link] because it use to be $299. Anyhow.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Flightspoiler

Thanks again everyone for your assistance in making my decision that much easier.
A few days ago I did order the 7CAP after a bit more research, ( talking to the guys at the field, holding both radio's, reading spec data). I am going the same route as "Saftey Hawk" as it sounds we both we're in the same predicament.
Only problem is my radio is back ordered because I wanted CH40.
Cheers Al