Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6V Receiver Bat Charge

Old 07-09-2005, 05:52 PM
top123
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6V Receiver Bat Charge

Will the standard Futaba charger charge a 6V 110ma receiver battery to 6V?

Top 123
Old 07-09-2005, 05:58 PM
exeter_acres

Default RE: 6V Receiver Bat Charge

I think the answer is yes, but it takes several days.......

just get a good field charger, IMveryHO
Old 07-09-2005, 06:03 PM
idmep

No, the standard Futaba receiver charger is only rated for the 4.8 V battery. You can charge forever and will not get a full charge. You can order an 6.0 V overnight charger from Towers Hobbies. I have one and it is only about $12.00. You can use it for Nicad or Nimh cells.

Good luck

IDM

Old 07-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I beg to differ with idmep, you will get a full charge, just takes a long time. Check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com and peruse the article on wall warts, just scroll down the left hand side of the home page and click on the one about wall warts. Lots of other good info at that site too on all types of batteries and battery care.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:17 PM
top123

Thanks for the input and the site on chargers and battery. Conculsion is that a Futaba charger will charge a 6V receiver battery but will take a while.

Top 123
Old 07-10-2005, 01:41 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth I charge my 6v batteries with a Futaba wall wart and have for about twelve years.

Bill
Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 PM
avinut

Charge rate is based on the current capacity of the cells, not the voltage. A normal charge rate is 1/10 of the Ma rating for 16 Hrs. Your wall wart charges at a 50 MA rate so anything rated at over 500 Ma will require more time, but will still attain a full charge. Measure it.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

I had a bunch of wall-warts around, so I cut the transmitter plug off the charger, installed a receiver battery end, and use that to charge my 1100 mAh 4 and 5 cell packs. You get 75 ma out of it, and 16 hr charge will bring my batteries back to full after cycling.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man this is an argument that won't die. YES you can use the Futaba wall wort to charge 6 volt receiver batteries. I use mine to charge both an 1100 mah AND a 1700 mah battery. It does take longer but who cares if time is not an issue. It takes both batteries up to FULL capacity and seems to charge them better than the fast charge. I actually prefer it over the fast charge and just make sure I have enough time to charge them. The 1700 mah will be on charge for about 20 hours when it's very low. Usually I don't come close to using all the capacity and only need an over night charge. I always check the battery at the field under load and it lasts all day long never going below 6.25 volts.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The guys using the wall warts get a second advantage over not having to buy a new charger: their batterys will last longer as the slower charge is much less stressfull on the battery and increases their life span.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well,this is all good to know, i assume that my jr wall wart will chg my new 1100ma 6v also, used it the other day and flew 8- 10 min flights and still checked out at 6.4v's. my sweetie will be glad to know i dont have to spend more money[sm=greedy.gif]
Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

my jr wall wart will chg my new 1100ma 6v also, used it the other day and flew 8- 10 min flights and still checked out at 6.4v's.
Was this with the 4.8 volt lead? How many mA is your wall-wart putting out? I've always cut the end off the transmitter charge lead and put on a receiver plug.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
BillS

I've always cut the end off the transmitter charge lead and put on a receiver plug.
Very interesting. Does the TX plug put out twice the ma when connected to an RX (4.8) battery?

I have lots of wall warts and not enough receptacles on the power strip used for 2 hour per day charge. Might be a way to reduce the cable clutter and make the shop look like it knows what it is doing. The TX charging circuits are no longer necessary since transmitters now hold many airplanes. Eventually I will have only one Futaba and one JR TX in service until technology changes.

Every little simplification is important.

Bill
Old 07-13-2005, 08:55 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Nogyro

Was this with the 4.8 volt lead? How many mA is your wall-wart putting out? I've always cut the end off the transmitter charge lead and put on a receiver plug.

yea nogyro, just the charger that came with the flight pack, puts out 50 ma at 5.8 volts, just takes longer like earlier posts say, i just let it charge about 24 hours and its ok to go! i also check it after every flight after a few flights and keep track of reserve!!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: BillS

Very interesting. Does the TX plug put out twice the ma when connected to an RX (4.8) battery?
I'm getting 75mA out of the transmitter side and use it to charge 1100 mah 4 cell and 5 cell packs. 16 hrs will give me a full charge. Check out http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/ for lots of good info on this subject. I also had lots of extra wall warts laying around so I thought I would give it a try. That was 4 years ago and I'm still using the same wall-warts with timers. I've got two timers set up, one for charging and one that is set to run one hr/day. After I charge the plane, it gets plugged into the 1 hr/day timer. I've had them on that for a month or two and the batts are still topped off.

If you're running out of plugs on the power strip, you can make your own. The first one I made I just took a double receptacle box and added 2 receptacle with one power cord. Then I came up with the idea of making a small box out of 1 x 2's. It's the exact diameter of a receptacle and they are screwed right into the wood frame, no plastic boxes under the receptacle plates. You can see both these in the pic that's attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86253.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	297001  
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 AM
BillS

The battery clinic information from Red had been read at least twice in the last few years. It is amazingly clear. Something apparently did not click with respect to wall warts. Maybe modification to a wart was considered taboo. I feel rather foolish about the oversight.

Thanks. The chargers plugged in can be reduced by at least five. Additionally since most batteries being charged are above 1100ma the TX output is also more appropriate but for a couple of hours per day it is insignificant.

Bill
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Nogyro
If you're running out of plugs on the power strip, you can make your own. The first one I made I just took a double receptacle box and added 2 receptacle with one power cord. Then I came up with the idea of making a small box out of 1 x 2's. It's the exact diameter of a receptacle and they are screwed right into the wood frame, no plastic boxes under the receptacle plates. You can see both these in the pic that's attached.
There's a reason electrical boxes are made from materials that are relatively non-flamable. Your local fire marshall would probably have a heart attack if he saw your home made power strip. For safety sake I hope nobody else uses your idea. Multiple receptical boxes are readily available and are a much better choice than wood.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

There's a reason electrical boxes are made from materials that are relatively non-flamable. Your local fire marshall would probably have a heart attack if he saw your home made power strip. For safety sake I hope nobody else uses your idea. Multiple receptical boxes are readily available and are a much better choice than wood.
Never really gave it much thought on being more flamable than plastic. I personly don't see much difference between the two. Receptical boxes used to be made out of metal. Real nice for a short on those kind....
Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 AM
exeter_acres

but the metal wouldn't burn