Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Futaba
59.01%
JR
40.99%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Futaba or JR?

Old 06-04-2005, 06:45 PM
BARCC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba or JR?

Ok, I have been flying Futaba all my life, and Mike McConville and I talk alot about RC. He told me JR is better hands down, and what I'm looking for is unbiased feedback, not personal preference, I know Mike works for Horizon, but then why did Quique switch to JR, and said it felt better, and more solid? I'm thinking about switching, but, really hasnt Futaba been around longer? And, hasnt Futaba won more contests? Some people from my field, said JR stuff is cheap and breaks, like their receivers, and radios besides the 10X, because the plastic is junk, and 10X has magnesium case. If I switch, Im thinkin about either the 10X, or the 9303, but the 10X, you program it with "codes" and that's confuding, and on RCuniverse, some people retired their 10X, and use the 9303 now. If I stay with Futaba, I have a 6EXA right now, and want more, and I will get the 9CAPS if I get some feedback. Thanks!! , oh yeah, don't mention Chevy or Ford or Dodge in this thread!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97425.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	280366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31338.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	280367  
Old 06-04-2005, 07:30 PM
BARCC
Banned

Default RE: Futaba or JR?

ok, you know, its not just a poll, you can reply too, Thanks!!
Old 06-05-2005, 02:13 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BARCC

Ok, I have been flying Futaba all my life, and Mike McConville and I talk alot about RC. He told me JR is better hands down, and what I'm looking for is unbiased feedback, not personal preference, I know Mike works for Horizon, but then why did Quique switch to JR, and said it felt better, and more solid? I'm thinking about switching, but, really hasnt Futaba been around longer? And, hasnt Futaba won more contests? Some people from my field, said JR stuff is cheap and breaks, like their receivers, and radios besides the 10X, because the plastic is junk, and 10X has magnesium case. If I switch, Im thinkin about either the 10X, or the 9303, but the 10X, you program it with "codes" and that's confuding, and on RCuniverse, some people retired their 10X, and use the 9303 now. If I stay with Futaba, I have a 6EXA right now, and want more, and I will get the 9CAPS if I get some feedback. Thanks!! , oh yeah, don't mention Chevy or Ford or Dodge in this thread!!

I use JR mostly because my LHS is the Australia distributor for JR gear. About 90% of the radios at my club are JR. The next most popular is Hitec. I think that is because of their lower cost. I honestly cannot think of anyone at my club who uses Futaba. AS for Futaba winning more contests, this means nothing as its the pilot that wins not the radio.
JR stuff is cheap and breaks???? I bet who ever said that only uses Futaba and has never had JR. I used to have a X-3810 but sold it to upgrade to a PCM 9-X. I am very happy with both radios and have never had a problem with any JR gear (of which I have a lot).
Having said that I don't own any Futaba gear but I am sure they are a quality radio and these days what ever radio brand you bought I'm sure you'll be happy.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

My very first radio was a JR F400. I am now flying Futaba, not sure why ended up switching. I have actually tried them all on for size but still flying Futaba. The thing I dislike about Futaba is their constant desire to change items forcing you to buy something new, for example their trainer system. Different models require diferent cables etc. Perhaps they need to do this in order to make a profit given their margins may be low in order to offset the quality ? Nonetheless, service captured me, I had a GV-1 that needed serviced and their crew looked after me very well. Not sure what I recommend but Futaba works well for me!

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2005, 06:11 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

"oh yeah, don't mention Chevy or Ford"

SO..... you don't want the truth ??? []

[:-]
Old 06-05-2005, 06:53 AM
Mac_Man_UK

On the 10X, there is a menu list which you can scroll through on a page by page basis. Its not that difficult to use and after a while you learn the most common codes.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:16 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

<<Why did Que Que switch?>>

Another one who believes the propaganda. Que Que(sp?) switched because Horizon agreed to put him on the payroll without requiring that he move to Illinois to work out of the corporate offices; which is what The Empire was demanding he do as part of the Futaba employment deal to put him on full time. He needed a full time job badly to maintain his work visa and legal alien status; otherwise, back to South America, etc.

The guy is good and could fly anything. But if you think he switched to JR simply because he suddenly decided that brand was "better" than Futaba, you're dreaming.

After starting out with Futaba gear, I flew JR stuff for almost ten years; first an X388S and then a PCM 10SXII. Good, solid equipment that gave me much enjoyment and satisfaction. Then, for reasons too involved to get into here, I went back to Futaba. Same deal; good gear that gives good value for the money.

One of the side debates to this perennial question is the 9Z/10X debate. The 10SX II is nearly the same as the 10X, and I have been using a 9Z for three years now. As far as I'm concerned, there is no real comparison. The 9Z is simply a more flexible radio with more features.

Some folks like to talk about ergonomics, or "feel". The 9Z is a bit heavier, and that took some getting used to. But the 9Z's neck strap attachment point is over the radio's CG, unlike the PCM 10 radios. On my 10SX, I had to fabricate an extension to hook to so the radio would hang level. As far as stick feel, the 9Z's stcks are adjustable to a small degree; allowing you to position them canted outward about five degrees. To me, that made a world of difference in "feel", since I fly with my fingers instead of my thumbs.

Once you "remember" the codes, the 10X system is very user-friendly and quick. But then, I find the three-screen menu of the 9Z no big thing either. Its all about familiarity.

As far as service, both outfits have their good days and bad. Some like to crow that Horizon's service is so much better. Nonsense. They have their good days; I've experienced them. But one of the reasons I switched back to Futaba was because Horizon service hosed my 10SXII when I sent it in for a lithium battery change.

Check JR out; handle the transmitter you're interested in, compare features, etc. But don't base your decision on what people who have a vested interest in one brand or another tell you.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:33 AM
BARCC
Banned

I told you, I didnt want biased feedback and personal preference, and reply to the guy, that said back to me about what I said: "he said JR stuff is cheap and breaks" well!! he does fly JR, and he uses all of their stuff, now he uses Futaba digitals, oh BTW, I think Futaba has been around longer, they have more experience.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

<<Why did Que Que switch?>>

Another one who believes the propaganda. Que Que(sp?) switched because Horizon agreed to put him on the payroll without requiring that he move to Illinois to work out of the corporate offices; which is what The Empire was demanding he do as part of the Futaba employment deal to put him on full time. He needed a full time job badly to maintain his work visa and legal alien status; otherwise, back to South America, etc.

The guy is good and could fly anything. But if you think he switched to JR simply because he suddenly decided that brand was "better" than Futaba, you're dreaming.

But don't base your decision on what people who have a vested interest in one brand or another tell you.
Thats interesting about the work visa..never really thought about that...

I think Mike M is a great guy and very talented but what do you expect him to say? Go buy Futaba gear and shop at Tower Hobbies?

Old 06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
LSP972

You don't want biased feedback? Get real, dude. Anyone who bothers to post an opinion to YOUR REQUEST FOR OPINIONS is going to be biased one way or another.

Jeez...
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 AM
GRANT ED

I told you, I didnt want biased feedback and personal preference, and reply to the guy, that said back to me about what I said: "he said JR stuff is cheap and breaks" well!! he does fly JR, and he uses all of their stuff, now he uses Futaba digitals, oh BTW, I think Futaba has been around longer, they have more experience.
Well sorry for giving my opinion and personal preference in a poll!!!! [:@]
What exactly do you call unbiased feedback? You asked for feedback and I told you I only use JR and am very happy with it. What do you expect?
It seams to me you already like Futaba and are looking for confirmation. If that is the case then stick with Futaba and be happy with it.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Opinions and feedback are biased always. If you are looking for some unbiased final word on JR vs Futaba, you will never get it. Both are fine companies. Both make good entry level to high end equipment. Each has thier strong points and weak points. Funny thing is, what someone might point out as a weak point I actually find as a stong point instead. Most of us use the brand of radio we started with and/or the brand that is most visible at our local club. It really has little to do with "better."

JR seems better at marketing compared to Futaba. I too heard the Quique story as posted above several years ago. I don't know if it is true, but it really doesn't matter if it is true or not. Quique was an awesome pilot before he was on JR's payroll, and he is still an awesome pilot on JR's payroll. As with anyone on payroll in marketing (be it Quique for JR or Frank for Futaba, etc.), you cannot take "thier supposed word" as truth... it is marketing. Don't fall into the "they are RC pilots" trap. It is still marketing if they are being paid. They are justing doing what they are paid to do.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
BARCC
Banned

Mike McConville and I have been talking alot, and hes told me, that it truly is the best (JR) "Feel the Difference!!"
Old 06-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Josey Wales

Mike McConville and I have been talking alot, and hes told me, that it truly is the best (JR) "Feel the Difference!!"

Great..so you are going to switch..good luck
Old 06-06-2005, 04:12 PM
BARCC
Banned

i dunno, most of my famous friends (Mark Radcliff, Mike McConville) they fly JR, and mark lives about 10 minutes away from me, what an honor!! LOL
Old 06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
webeflyin

auto or manual transmission? Gas or diesel?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
BARCC
Banned

ORIGINAL: webeflyin

auto or manual transmission? Gas or diesel?
that was very unnecessary
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
carrellh

Ok, I have been flying Futaba all my life, and Mike McConville and I talk alot about RC. He told me JR is better hands down, and what I'm looking for is unbiased feedback, not personal preference
You're listening to the personal, and corporate, preferences of a sponsored pilot; then asking others not to voice a personal preference.

The only objective measure I can think of:
Maybe one has a feature or fucntion you want/need and the other doesn't. I chose Futaba over JR based on a single feature. I use stick mode 3 due to a physical handicap. You can buy JR in mode 1 or mode 2 only. It "might" be possible to special order a mode 3 JR. Futaba computer transmitters can be changed between modes 1, 2, 3, or 4 by the end user. If I ever want to sell my transmitter, or give it away, I can switch it back to mode 2 (for free) and it's usable by 99% of US pilots.

Aside from something like that, it truly does come down to personal preference. Maybe it's "ease of programming," which is extremely subjective, that you care about. Ergonomic preference, like "Feel the difference," is subjective. Without warranty repair statistics from both companies (good luck getting any real data from either), "quality" is nothing more than perception.

For some reason the jet guys in North Texas seem to use JR over Futaba. This is based on limited observation and talking to jet pilots.
Our former club president is a pattern competitor. He says Futaba outnumbers JR by a hefty margin at the events he attends, and he goes as far as New York to compete.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
BARCC
Banned

i dunno, everybody is blocking me everywhere!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 PM
LSP972

Blocking you how? So far, you have chastised those who responded to your request for an opinion, then waxed euphoric about all your "famous flying buddies"; none of whom could be expected to say anything BUT "JR is better"...

Does the phrase "An answer in search of a question..." have any significance for you?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Josey Wales

Blocking you how?
Steve, He is referring to the EF 87" Yak thread..a few guys have blocked his posts because of what you just described..
Old 06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
BARCC
Banned

yea
Old 06-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

The BEST is the brand that will give you equipment and pay you to fly it - now, which one is that?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:59 AM
LSP972

Thanks, Joe.

He made my ignore list too...
Old 06-07-2005, 07:16 AM
BARCC
Banned

Thanks, Joe.

He made my ignore list too...
jackass

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.