RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Linkage setup Speed?

Old 08-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Edge 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Linkage setup Speed?

Simple question: sorta
Can the mechanical setup effect the speed of your control surfaces?

I don't mean binding, or linkage friction, just the mechanical setup. I have my plane setup for the best possible mechanical advantage, and highest servo resolution. ATV 140%, linkages adjusted to match suggested throw. GREAT mechanical advantage on all surfaces except throttle. By setting the ATV to 140% I have the highest resolution, but the servo has to move further...correct. Would this not make it slower?
Adjusting the clevis at the servo arm shouldn't make any difference right. Even if you have more linkage travel by moving it out, it still is the same speed as it was when the clevis was closer to the center, because the servo arm is solid and the outer edge of the servo arm takes the same time to move as the rest.... correct? All of the servo arm arrives at it's final destination at the same time.

WAIT..........But isn't the outer end moving faster? I'm confused please help.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:56 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Linkage setup Speed?

of course it has a GREAT affect on it. power and speed are 100% inversely proportional, so the better mechanical advantage you have (more power), the lower the speed will be.

in general I set up my planes with the greatest mechanical advantage, run 6v power and speed won't be a problem. (lacking speed won't bring down a plane, flutter from control surfaces will...)
Old 08-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Edge 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Linkage setup Speed?

thats what I thought....I think

I'm running 6V and after making my setup more precise using numerous pattern and IMAC articles I actually noticed a slight reduction in speed (just visual guestamation)