Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec hs 225 mg lock up again

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:10 AM
AP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec hs 225 mg lock up again

I have 2 hs 225 mgs in my AW 90 size Edge 540T elevators. The are run thru fut pcm rec and fut servo reverser, at the field one day during pre-flight one of the elevators began twitching and locked in full up. Luckily I noticed this on the ground. I pulled out both 225s and sent them
into hitec with another servo that locked up (hs 605). They sent me new servos for the 225s and said one had a bad potentiometer or whatever. A new 635 was sent replacing the 605. they said 605 had a bad motor? So I put in new hs 225 mg and everything was fine for the last month and half.

Any way today after a 4 point role elevator locked into full down resulting into total loss of kit. When I walked up to carnage I still had full control over ail,thro,rudd, and one side of elevator.
the other side elevator was locked in full down, and would not budge. I always have a good set up, proper linkages, no bindings ect. 305 previous flights on the Edge and now fuse in two pieces. I never had any problems except recently with these hitecs and now I am thinking on never buying Hitec again. Especially next plane is 50CC Ultimate and I have been trying to decide which servos for that. (wont be Hitec digitals). Sure they sent me new servos in under 2 weeks. Too bad I wont get a new airplane back for the servo failure or days off my life!!!!

Frustrated with Hitec
Old 08-07-2005, 09:01 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec hs 225 mg lock up again

Open the failed 225 servo case and inspect the gear train, specifically look at the M/P output gear. My guess is you damaged this gear; it’s the weak link in the gear-train. While these servos are small and powerful they are unable to withstand the abuse of large surfaces, extreme deflection and or aerodynamic flight loads.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:28 PM
AP

This is a 8 lb plane, and these are the servos Aeroworks recommends for the elevators.
No damage done to these servos. I Take extreme care handling all aircraft!! Why would I take servo apart when Hitec says dont, and send in as is to trouble shoot problem. I have had lock up due to bad servos that is why they sent me a new set, Saying bad potentiometers. Never a issue with the gear train... Of course that is what the maint dept at Hitech said, If you want to believe the manufacture. Now it has happened again. Would Aeroworks recommend a hi torque mini bb mg servo on a plane they sell, if it could not handle areodynamic loads. ??????

Not the 1st problem with Hitech, as read on many of other posts from small to there new digitals. As I said before, I have had three seperate lock ups that Hitech has said bad potentiometers and never said I broke gears. Unless Hitech starts buying my airplanes I will not put another one of their servo's in my planes especially 1500.00$ and up. If all my planes were free I would run Hitech forever.

If you hit yourself with a hammer and it hurts try not to do it again

Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 PM
mglavin

You can open the servo and look at the gear-train without risk of invalidating the warranty. The M/P output gear is the only gear which is metal and plastic. It’s a known problem on this servo when exposed to excessive loads and or hangar rash.

It’s always possible the potentiometer has failed, but I suggest it’s unlikely again. Unless the servo is being exposed to unreasonable harmonics and or vibration. However anything is possible.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
AP

I dont want to do maint on these servos because I am so torqued my Edge is gone. I got 305 flights until the final elev lock into the deck. I was really using the servos to there limit I am sure. But after Aeroworks recommends these servos for the best 3d for this plane I thought I could not go wrong. The first time one of the servos locked up on the ground I was glad to catch it. Also very glad to have Hitech send me new ones free of charge, and my shipping check back.
But the second time this happened I got scared to look forward.

I have 27% ultimate mostly done and awaiting radio gear. I have been researching for several months now, on most reliable servo for that and now I am looking for a new 90 size plane and radio gear for that, This is a hard decision. Do you run Hitech in all of your big planes?
Have you experienced lock up with any Hitech servo?

thankx for your input minus a plane
Old 08-07-2005, 03:15 PM
mglavin

I'd open the servo just see if the gear-train failed, I'm curious.

I run Hitec Digitals in four 40% Carden’s, Josh’s 39% Aeroworks Extra and a TOC 40% Yak and one of course in the PP 34% Extra too.

FWIW; I have yet to have a Hitec servo do the lock thing...

I'd recommend the 5600 series digitals if your on a budget or the 5900's for best performance and precision..
Old 08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
AP

How about I send them to you and you can use your exp with hitech to pull up my prior history and see if same thing happened to the last ones I sent in. Give me a pm with an address were you might be able to see these first hand. Straight from the fuse to shipping box with pix of setup.

I have been reading about some 5600 and 5900 having problems with return points, centering.
Does this mean constant adjustment of servo trims or reverser before flight to maintain equal elevator or surface alignment? AP
Old 08-07-2005, 07:18 PM
mglavin

I don’t have any problems with the 5900's centering at all... I have very little experience with the 5600's, those I did use im my WM Extra centered very well I thought for high power sport metal-geared digital cored motor servos. There are literally tens of thousands of these servos in use probably more. If they were as bad as some would lead you to believe I don't think they would be the best selling digitals servos offered by any OEM...

You don't need nor want a reverser with these servos. If you need a reverse servo simply have it programmed accordingly. Or use a p-mix in the TX.

I'll PM you.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 AM
KrashMaster

ORIGINAL: AP

I dont want to do maint on these servos because I am so torqued my Edge is gone. I got 305 flights until the final elev lock into the deck. I was really using the servos to there limit I am sure. But after Aeroworks recommends these servos for the best 3d for this plane I thought I could not go wrong. The first time one of the servos locked up on the ground I was glad to catch it. Also very glad to have Hitech send me new ones free of charge, and my shipping check back.
But the second time this happened I got scared to look forward.

I have 27% ultimate mostly done and awaiting radio gear. I have been researching for several months now, on most reliable servo for that and now I am looking for a new 90 size plane and radio gear for that, This is a hard decision. Do you run Hitech in all of your big planes?
Have you experienced lock up with any Hitech servo?

thankx for your input minus a plane

I just had a HS56 Lock my Chopper aileron Left to full. Of course I whent through all the tests and simply CONCLUDED the Micro chip board in servo whent crap. I tested the motor and the POT with an ohm meter and motor with 5v dc and it spun up both directions [reversed the pol]. Pot showed a smooth transition from left to right, , Proccess of elimination THE CIRCUT BOARD = TOAST[:'(][:-][:'(][:-][>:][&o]
Old 04-26-2006, 09:41 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have two 225MG on my 1/3 scale Fly Baby bipe elevator. I have been flying it about 3 years. Before that I used the servos (same two) on the elevator of a 86" Lazy Ace. The only time I have had problems is when I stepped on the elevator. I broke that weak plastic gear. The nice small size fit nicely in an elevator.
AP I would take a good look at that servo reverser if I were you. They are a known source of trouble.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
3DAP

I sent in the 225s with pics of crash and set up and hitec replaced my edge with 4 5645 digital servos for my 27% ultimate.
They realized that servos had a problem and bucked up. Search my thread about this subject. I have a new location and screen name, 3DAP of WA. I could not log in with the old name AP for some reason. any way I was impressed that Hitec sent me 200.00 plus dollars in gear to make it right. AP \ 3dAP
Old 05-08-2006, 09:34 PM
XJet
Banned

I just wish they'd ditch the "mighty mini" title for these servos. Be honest, call them "mighty fragile" :-)