RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio range increase?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Banche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Radio range increase?

What would it take to increase the range on my radio. I have a 25 mile wireless video camera and I would love to be able to fly all over the area with a radio that could transmit for 25 miles. I know you probably couldn't do it from just the transmitte, what would you need, just more volts running to the antenna or what?

I would love it if you could give me a place to buy the stuff on the internet!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Radio range increase?

First our hobby radios are line of sight. If you can't see it you probably can't control it.

Second what your proposing falls under UAV's and you'd be falling under FAA rules.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will also get in trouble with the FCC if you increase the power of your transmitter.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:41 PM
michpittsman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're not a Fed trying to suck somebody in with this incredibly simple-minded scam you should be hearing a knock on your door right...about...now.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:32 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

25 mile line of site video?? how big of a lead acid battery does that take?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

comon guys, he didn't ask about the rules and regulations, but how can it be done.

Roger
Old 08-10-2005, 10:38 PM
michpittsman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry. It would take a specially designed and built radio that puts out MANY watts of power with a 100ft antenna, a high-level license from the FCC, and more red tape than you ever want to see....Jim
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually the radio you have is already a 25 mile radio as long as you keep the airplane above the horizon (still line of sight). My RF antenna nomograph (RF Antenna Propagation Path Handbook, figure 6.1, Vertical plane coverage diagram for an aircraft target with and without multipath) shows at 25 miles you'd have to have the airplane at approximately 16,000 ft flat earth. Mountains between you and the airplane would increase the altitude requirement (dependant on distance from you).
Course now you're violating FAA airspace, which I believe is a Federal Offense.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aerografixs

comon guys, he didn't ask about the rules and regulations, but how can it be done.

Roger
Using that same logic I am curious about how I can break into my neighbor's house and steal his big screen TV. Any ideas on how it can be done???
Old 08-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Banche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

come on guys. Who ever though I would be looking at my plane. The plane is a 30%er with a DA 50. I have li-ions and can put a huge tank in there and could probably fly for over 2 hours at close to a 100mph.

In the plane there is a video camera with a transmitter and a battery pack. The transmitter puts out wnough power to transmit up to 25miles and the reciever on the ground has audio and video jacks that plug into the TV or Computer. So I could fly my plane from the TV screen.

Now How cool is that, being able to fly all around the country side for 25miles. But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far???????????????????????????

I would like it if someone told me how to do it. I imagine you would need an amature radio license or somthing like that but I am sure that is procurable. Oh and for those who ask, the vid transmitter doesnt transmitt on 72MHz. I am not sure what it transmitts on.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:38 PM
MajorTomski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool Yes, legal no, irresponsible yes! As someone said you are asking how to make a UAV. Lots of data on here as to how to, but are you really ready to pay the huge fine and court costs when your airplane crashes 26 miles away from you when you loose the tv image? And you MUST comply with the see and avoid requirements of FAR Part 91.

Try flying your plane with a safety pilot and within eyesight at all times.

T

Why yes I DO work for the FAA why do you ask?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually the radio you have is already a 25 mile radio as long as you keep the airplane above the horizon (still line of sight).
it has 25 mile line of site capability, but that still doesn't mean it has enough signal strength to actually control the plane. Without going through the work of calculating the rf budget, a quick guess would put it at the bare minimum if not less anyway.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 PM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First off,

There is no legal a/v transmiter that can transmit 25 miles without yagi or other high gain, directional antenna designed for the frequency of the system. This powerful of a system would require at least a ham license.

Second,

If you don't know the frequency it is broadcasting on you run the risk of having the fcc knocking on your door or driving to your field and confescating your radio, plane and car. Also not knowing the frequency also makes it so you have no idea what the range would be. I wunder if you have any idea what you are playing with. High power microwaves will give you brain cancer, fast!

Third,

Have you tried to fly with the camera in the plane and checked the quality of the signal at 1/2 mile?

Are you trolling or what? Where did you get this system?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 PM
blackeangle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Using that same logic I am curious about how I can break into my neighbor's house and steal his big screen TV. Any ideas on how it can be done???
Simple, just breakin their door while they are sleeping( most of time is between 12:00 AM - 5:00 AM), then get in the room and steal the big screen TV.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:18 PM
blackeangle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the plane there is a video camera with a transmitter and a battery pack. The transmitter puts out wnough power to transmit up to 25miles and the reciever on the ground has audio and video jacks that plug into the TV or Computer. So I could fly my plane from the TV screen.
If your camera can do that, then so can your radio transmitter. So, you should ask the person who did your video transmitter.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:38 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Come on guys, Banche is obviously a kid who doesn't know what he is talking about, give him a break. And no, no amateur license will allow you to fly a high powered UAV. If you really want to fly UAV's maybe talk to the Army recruiter at your high school, they have it all figured out and would be happy to teach you how it's done.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:13 AM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Basin Bum,

You are right. He should contact the Army, might not even have to join. I heard they are willing to pay qualified civilian r/c pilots go to the middle east to fly UAV. You must sign a two year contract and if you live that long you would have a good amount of money to spend when you get back.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Technically, he would have a RPV, not a UAV. UAV's (unpiloted aerial vehicle) have a software upload thet directs their computer-controlled flight without ANY human input, where a RPV (remotely piloted vehicle) is just what it says, somebody flying the thing from a distance, using on-board video to see where he's going. Either way, it's way beyond what AMA says we can do with our little "toy airplanes"
Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just get about 20 guys on the same frequency strung out all over the place and fly it along until the next guy can pick it up
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is no legal a/v transmiter that can transmit 25 miles without a yagi or other high gain, directional antenna designed for the frequency of the system.

Where did you get your system? You don't even know what frequency it transmits on? Do you know the power output? Do you know the length of the stock antennas?

come on guys. Who ever though I would be looking at my plane. The plane is a 30%er with a DA 50. I have li-ions and can put a huge tank in there and could probably fly for over 2 hours at close to a 100mph.

Now How cool is that, being able to fly all around the country side for 25miles. But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far? But How do I transmit that far???????????????????????????

I would like it if someone told me how to do it. I imagine you would need an amature radio license or somthing like that but I am sure that is procurable. Oh and for those who ask, the vid transmitter doesnt transmitt on 72MHz. I am not sure what it transmitts on.
I am sorry to say you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay, I just stumbled onto this post... and it got me thinking. If my 2 meter handheld can transmit 20 miles to a repeater mounted 300 feet up on a tower with just five watts, I can't see why a 72 MHz transmitter with, lets say, 10 watts connected to a properly tuned dipole couldn't accomplish this. I can't think of a better way to shoot down all the planes in the county on that particular channel at once.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:30 PM
SpitfireMKI
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[sm=lol.gif] I think someone knew the right button to push !
Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What you will need is a satellite relay system. Back in the early 70's I worked on an RPV proposal that used the Oskar 1 ameture radio satellite as a relay. The secret is high gain antenna. We used 10 watts on the up link. The satellite had a downlink transmitter power of 1 watt. As it turned out 1 watt was not quite enough. I don't know if the ametures have a satellite available now. If you have enough money you could buy a channel on one of the commercial satellites I think if you had a second class radio telephone license that would be all that you need outside of gobs of money.
You would also need an RF module for the transmitter to emit on the frequency required for the satellite channel and a pre amplifier and frequency converter on your receiver to get back to your frequency for your receiver
Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just thought of another way it could be done. Get an Iridium satellite telephone and an account on Iridium. The telephone will have the transmitter and receiver preamp you would need. I think Iridium is still in business. They went bankrupt but I heard Boeing is operating the system. Iridium has a maximum baud rate of 2.4K but that is enough for a PPM system. That would be the cheapest way for you to do this.
I don't think you would need an FAA permit. Maynard Hill flew across the ocean at an altitude of thousands of feet. He also has set many altitude and endurance records that involved flying out of sight. If you are serious about this you should contact him. He is a modeler and I am sure he would be glad to help you if he is able
Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DirtyBird:

Wasn't OSCAR 1 (Orbital Satellite Carrying Amateur Radio) a one way transmitter in a satellite made by us hams and put into space in the early 1960's? It didn't make it to the mid-60's since the batteries discharged within a year or so.

I heard it's minute 1 watt signal saying "HI", that's .... .. in Morse Code every 90 minutes or so on my 2 meter receiver way back then.

I'm WA2ROC licensed in 1959 and I thought this thread was meant to be a joke too.

So just how does one send data to a non-functional transmitting only satellite and have it send data back to you?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service