RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A lot to catch up on... HiTec servo questions.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A lot to catch up on... HiTec servo questions.

And I call myself staying abreast of things. I just read a thread where the programming of servos was being discussed. Programming servos??? What have I missed? Is this strictly a Hitec thing, or does it refer to multiple servos on one control surface?

Anyway, there are several questions buried in here, so please bear with me.

I'm in the process of choosing a new quarter-scale aerobat, and I'll need everything for it. I haven't bought any servos since I purchased a bunch of Futaba 9252s several years ago (the 3151s that came with a 7C radio purchase don't count- they went into a 40-size sporter).

Anyway, I have been eminently pleased with the 9252s. I had a discussion with the owner of a popular ARF line today, and he advised, in rather strong terms, that he recommended ONLY metal-geared servos for his models. The reason he gave is because, according to him, nylon-geared servos have some "give" in the gear train due to the natural elasticity of the nylon material. This introduces a bit of play or slop. Sounds plausible to me, although I haven't noticed any slop in the dozen or so 9252s I'm running. But maybe I don't know what to look for...

So, I have two main questions. First; given an 11/12 pound airplane that will NOT be thrashed in the popular 3D style, but instead will be flown like a real airplane- does it REALLY need metal-geared servos?

Second; just how good is the mid-range Hitec digital? I don't recall the number, but it sells for $50-$55, has over 100 oz./in of torque, and is rather slow at .22 sec or so. What I'm really trying to find out is, does the Futaba 9252 ($80) deliver $30 worth of better performance? I know the airplane guys generally love them, but Hitec servos have not enjoyed much popularity in the helicopter community. I have always been leery of the brand.

Thanks for reading this convoluted post, and any insight provided.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:23 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: A lot to catch up on... HiTec servo questions.

from my experience, metal gear servos tend to have more slop and develop it quicker also. metal on metal with vibrations from the motor wears much more then nylon on nylon, that small amount of give is what saves the geartrain from vibration induced wear.

I fly a 15 pound stinger 1.20 with standard servos or ones slightly above standard grade, no probs...
Old 08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smoking crater is correct, metal geared servos wear much faster than plastic (nylon) geared servos. The metal are stronger but quite quickly develope more slop and wear than the nylon geared ones.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:42 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

<<...metal gear servos wear much faster...>>

Precisely what we found with the helis. Okay, that one answered.

What about the HiTec servos?