Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which Radio? 9C or xp9303

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 PM
joe84780
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Radio? 9C or xp9303

I'm in the market for a new radio and need some opinions.

I've been a life long Futaba user and I'm looking at 9C Super, but I'm also eyeing a JR XP9303. Is the JR worth the extra money?
What features does the JR offer that The Futaba doesn't? I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:00 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Which Radio? 9C or xp9303

I'm an Airtronics and JR pilot and have the 9303. I like it a lot, but wonder if you are switching over to JR? What about the servos and receivers you have - will they be compatable with a JR transmitter? If so, I'd go the the JR, but then again, I prejudiced

Jerry
Old 08-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Mettler1

Both radios are very reliable so there is no reason to change unless the JR has a feature you can't live without. I have a 9CAP and am very happy with it. All my flight packs are Futaba compatable. Haven't had a glitch in the last five years. If I were just getting into RC I would pick one brand or the other and stick with it. For me there is no reason to change now. RC radio gear is excellent and you only need to buy a radio for the features you need.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:23 PM
carrellh

I'd download the manuals from
http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/index.html
and
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...odID=JRP9240**

Compare features and see if one has something you cannot live without and the other doesn't have it. That could end the quest.

If both do everything you want, go to the hobby shop and hold both for a while, the way you'd hold them while flying. Extend the antenna. Feel how they're balanced. Get a feel for the switches, knobs, and sliders you'll actually use. Whichever one fits YOU better is the one to get, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

Your only compatibility issue if you go 9303 will be receivers. Futaba receivers are not compatible with JR transmitters. Some Hitec receivers, and possibly other brands, are selectible between Futaba and JR. You'll need to trim the "J" tab off of your Futaba servo connectors but the wiring is the same as JR so the servos themselves will work fine.

If you do the 'feel' test at the hobby shop you should buy from them versus mail ordering. My brother spent a lot of time with the guys at the hobby shop doing research and feel testing. Even though they were $30 or $40 higher than mail order he bought from them because they provided a valuable service he needed at the time.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

My hobby shop matched mail order price for my 9C.

They buy them from the same place (Great Planes) and get a dealer discount so they can match prices if they want to.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:40 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

They are both good radios. I bought the JR. I like the programming.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:09 AM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

Both are good radio's. I too was a lifelong Futaba user with a 9c. I recently sold the 9c and changed over to the 9303. I like the 9303 much more than the 9c. Not better just easier to use in my opinion. I am glad I made the switch.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:21 PM
joe84780

Well Bryan,

The large screen and ease of programming is a definite selling point for me. I'm not worried about having to switch receivers because the 2 I'm using right now are both shift selectable. My major concern about the JR is the price compared to the 9c. I can pick up a 9c Super TX with synth module for $329.00, The xp9303 tx with synth is going to run me $539.00. That's a huge price difference! Unless of course someone out there knows where to get the JR cheaper? I just can't fathom spending $200.00 more for a similary capable TX.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Iceman30

I have the 9C..long time Futaba user..but no fav's..have always liked my friends JR...he just got the 9303...compairning them at the field we both felt the 9c was a little, just a little easer to program...I like the big screen on the JR..The 9C makes it crazy easy to assign switch commands...If you also feel..as someone stated earlier..if you have flown for a few years the JR feels weird and vise versa..for a JR guy the sticks are in a dif. place...I have the synth version..chief aircraft has synth version transmitter with synth module, 9 channel synth rx for 475..with free shipping I do beleive..don't quote me on the shipping
Old 08-21-2005, 07:52 AM
PlaneKrazee

The gimbals on my JR 9303 feel a little funny compared to my other JR radios.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:10 AM
joe84780

Thanks for all of your opinions everyone.

I just purchased the 9C with synth module from allerc.com
I was going to purchase from Servo City, but read some posts on here from people who had experienced some mistakes with their orders.

Happy Flying!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 PM
e-sailpilot86

Good choice. It's much better to stick with the same brand than to try to switch it. One guy flew nothing but JR, and decided to take the plunge and got a 9Z WC2... He got rid of it a month later. It was a great radio, but he couldn't get used to the programming, the feel... the menus were completely foreign to him, so he went with the 9303, and honestly, that was a very good choice for him. You'll be happy with the 9C! If you haven't had a computer radio before (like a 6XAS), the feel will be much better, and a little different. First thing you'll want to do is probably unscrew the back, and lighten the feel of the stick spring feedback. I was going to suggest something else, but I'm a little late, oh well! (Airtronics Stylus...) Reason was, is has shift select, so you could use practically any brand you want. One thing you wouldn't like is the programming cards... 9C it is. Definately well worth the money, I don't know if I could have justified a 9303 without being on JR shift. This winter, I plan on going one step up to a 9Z.

My uncle has an entry level JR, and it's nice feeling, but it's just different compared to the Futaba.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Heritage rider
My Feedback: (2)

e-sail,
Can you tell me the features that cause you to choose the 9Z over the 9C please? I have the 7C. It was a mistake to not get the 9C. I am looking carefully at the two and can read the differences but wanted to know from a 9C user why I might go all the way to a 9Z. Don't want to make the same error again. No 14z for me due to $. Thanks
Old 09-09-2005, 07:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I've seen several people selling off 9z's to purchase 9C's.

I don't know for sure why because I never owned one, so far for 6 helis, 2 planks and a full house glider, I have yet to run into a situation where the 9C couldn't do what I needed. If you get the 9C get the Super version, they took alot of feedback from the original 9C when they made the update.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Heritage rider
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 AM
allr
My Feedback: (49)

I , also, have been looking at the Futaba 9C and Jr 9303. I have been a long time user of JR. I have found that the JR are easier to program and mixing channels is easier. The Futaba seems to always have pre-mix programs that never seems to match what I a trying to do. The reason at looking at the 9C is a joint project with a friend that uses Futaba and the cost. Currently he is using the 7C.

The negatived part of the 9C is that they are selling it as a 9 channel radio. Well, that is only partly correct or at least a certain point of view. The 9th channel only works in the PCM mode and is not proportional. So I am not sure as to what is good is.

So really I do ot see how one can compare the futaba 9C with the Jr 9303.