RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question on Futaba Conquest and SkySport

Old 08-20-2005, 01:52 PM
SAFZERO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Question on Futaba Conquest and SkySport

I am looking at the 4 channel Futaba Conquest and Skysport for a trainer plane. I want to set one channel for the throttle, but the stick can't be spring-loaded, obviously, I wan't it to stick and stay in one spot. Do both of these radios have this type of stick?

Raffi
Old 08-20-2005, 02:31 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Question on Futaba Conquest and SkySport

Any 4 channel radio made for airplane use has the throttle on the left stick with a ratchet and not a spring.

That is any standard, what we call mode 2 radio which is most radios sold in the US.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:27 PM
SAFZERO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure!

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:31 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you wish put the throttle on right side with these simple four or six channel radios. It a relatively simple procedure. Remove the battery pack and remove six case screws then open the back cover. On the throttle gimble there is a serrated quadrant with a small spring plated that rides in the serations Just undo one screw and remove the spring plate. Now looking at the right hand stick you will see it is identical to the otherside with the serrated quadant but no spring plate. Just install the spring plate from the other gimble here.

Looking at both gimbles now work both the elevator stick and the throttle stick up and down you will see a tension spring on the elevator side and none on the throttles side. Next to this tension spring is a tension adjustor screw just loosen this adjustor on the elevator side and the spring is easily removed this reinstalled on the old throttle side not forgetting to readjust the tension screw to your taste.

What this does is to effectively convert the radio to mode one with the throttle on the right side. What is not changed is the original position of the respective trim levers, they will be in their original position. This is known as cross trims and its actually easier to use for airplanes as it easier to reach the elevator. Some very expensive radios can actually program in crossed trims deliberately.

John
Old 08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SAFZERO

I am looking at the 4 channel Futaba Conquest and Skysport for a trainer plane. I want to set one channel for the throttle, but the stick can't be spring-loaded, obviously, I wan't it to stick and stay in one spot. Do both of these radios have this type of stick?

Raffi
Get help from an experienced flyer, or join a club. It would be advisable to fly a mode which is widely used in your area. Most flyers in the US use mode 2 where the throttle/rudder are on the left stick, and aileron/elevator on the right stick. So, buy a mode 2 transmitter. The throttle stick on all radios can be changed by the user to be ratcheted or smooth, and without springs.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:25 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You didn't ask this, but I thought I might suggest you look into a computer radio. Futaba has a 4 channel one now, the 4 EXA, I think, and is not much more than the Skysport.

Tower has the Skysport for $130 and the 4 EXA for $150. I know things cost money, but IMHO, the $20 will be forgotten after a while and you will appreciate some of the luxuries that computer radios afford.