RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

7c or 9c for first computer radio

Old 08-25-2005, 01:16 AM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 7c or 9c for first computer radio

I have been flying my trainer around all summer and want to step up to a computer radio so that I have dual rates and exp. Tower has a really good deal on the 7c right now ($25 off + $15 rebate) so I can get one with digital servos for $220. The 9c super with the same servos is $355 ($399 - $25 off - $20 rebate).

So the question is the 9c worth $135 more? As far as I understand the only major draw back to the 7c is you can't have dual aileron servos mixed together.

For now I'll just be using it for my trainer, and probably a four star pretty soon, after that I would like to get into more aerobatic stuff like a twist. So I can't see any reason why I would need a 9c, but then again I don't want to be replacing the radio in a year.

Thanks,
schu
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 7c or 9c for first computer radio

Get the 9C.
You have more mixes available and if you want to let someone fly your plane with the trainer function, all the mixes will work with the student box. The 9C is an all around better Transmitter
Old 08-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Dsegal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

> As far as I understand the only major draw back to the 7c is you can't have dual aileron servos mixed together. <

You certainly can program for two aileron servos in the 7C. What you can't do is program for dual elevator servos. If you do not plan to fly planes that need dual elevator servos save some money and go for the 7C. It is a great transmitter. And years from now you can buy a more complex transmitter if you need it.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also, I could be wrong but I don't believe the 7c has the user removable frequency module (which includes the option of the "Synthesized" module)---As does the 9c---Worth considering in MHO---
Ed
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 AM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You might also want to consider the Hitec Optic 6. You can get the transmitter with synthesized module and a receiver for less than $200. Perhaps you could also apply the Tower discount here too?

The Optic is probably the most popular computer radio on the market at this time and will grow with you for years to come.

Mike.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Barry_DVRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the 7C and wish I'd got the 9C. The 7C will not run a four servo wing to best advantage.

Barry
Old 08-25-2005, 12:08 PM
akschu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Right, I ment elevators, but typed ailerons....

I don't think the "Synthesized" module is really important to me, I live way out in the middle of nowhere and fly by myself.

As far as the Optic, I looked into it but I don't think it's as good as a deal. I would pay $185 for the optic with 4 HS-325HB servos. So for the $45 difference I would get digital servos and one more mix. I figure the servos are worth the $10 each, but may be wrong.

Mike,
I noticed on the hitec site that the matrix shows the 7c not supporting Aileron Differential, but on the futaba site it says it does, who is right?

schu
Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I'd side with the Futaba site.

The 9C also has graphs to show real time changes in control throw, expo et all.

If you can afford the extra get the 9C it will be cheaper than upgrading later.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
figment

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was planning on buying the 9c next month, but with this savings I may have to do it now. But, where do you see the rebate on the 9c? I only see the rebate for their 7 channel radios and there bottom of the line radios on the Futaba website.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
akschu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 9c super has the rebate but the other one doesnt. I want a 9c, but that is a lot of money. $220 for the 7c with digital servos is a lot of radio for the money.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love my 9c.... very easy to use
Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
figment

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can you post a link to the rebate info where you find the 9C Super listed? I have not been able to find it.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 08-25-2005, 01:49 PM
akschu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/futaba/futk75.html
Old 08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
figment

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you! Looks like I am going to be placing my order sooner than expected Sweet!

Patrick
Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 PM
akschu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea, I think I'm going to order too, even though my channel is out of stock...

schu
Old 08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
eaglelope

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have both. My son uses the 7C and I use the 9C. The 7C is a nice radio but the mixes are much less flexible than the 9C. Some channels (like flaps) are locked to specific knobs or switches. There are more switches, knobs and sliders on the 9C and just about everything can be assigned wherever you'd like it.

I was short on cash at the time but wish I had bought a second 9C instead of the 7C. Unless you're a precision flyer I wouldn't worry too much about the digital servos but I would recommend investing in a better TX no matter what your skill level or interest.

Mark
Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Mettler1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Schu,I've had my 9C for over 5 yrs and I still do not have the need for another Tx. Spred the extra money for the 9C over 5 yrs or more and it doesn't seem so much for the Tx you really want or probably ever need. If at all possible get the 9C. Five years down the road you'll be glad you did!!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:44 PM
figment

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was really struggling with the decision to buy now rather than next month after having just received a package from Tower yesterday with the engine and upgrade parts for my 4*60 build. But, I had dropped my 6XAS at the field last weekend and wanted to have a spare transmitter for that very reason (i.e. having to send it in for service and not fly while it is gone). Plus, my son wants to fly, so the 6XAS will be his primary and my backup.

Anyhow, went out to the field to fly after work today and found out that my 6XAS right stick is sticking around the center. I range checked it and everything was okay, so I flew it. It was fine, but it was not smooth around the center. Was not nearly as fun flying while having to push the stick to center... and trying to find center with no tactile feedback.

So, I ordered tonight

Thanks for the heads up on the deal,
Patrick
Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 PM
akschu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I went ahead and ordered the 9c, it's on backorder because they didn't have my channel, I hope it comes in soon, but have his feeling I'll be waiting a long time for it and summer is almost over.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How have you had yours for 5 years when they have only be out for about 4 and a half?
ORIGINAL: Mettler1

Schu,I've had my 9C for over 5 yrs and I still do not have the need for another Tx. Spred the extra money for the 9C over 5 yrs or more and it doesn't seem so much for the Tx you really want or probably ever need. If at all possible get the 9C. Five years down the road you'll be glad you did!!
Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get a JR radio. A radio is something you will keep for many years. It will outlast airplanes, motors, even you [X(] JR radios are far superrior to futaba or Hitec You can look at them at www.horizonhobby.com
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought a 7c about a year ago and while I like it and I'm not at the limits of the radio yet there are some days when I do wish I'd gone ahead and went with the 9c primarily for the ability to change frequencies and for the additional flexibility on switch assignment.

Oh and the JR/Futaba thing is just about like the Ford/Chevy thing. I've got buddies that fly JR and love it. I fly Futaba and love it. As far as I can tell, for the normal flyer neither brand is overtly superior, they just have different features that appeal to peopel differently.

Duke
Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM
submikester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been looking at this exact scenario myself. I simply can't spend the $$$ on the 9c (Super). I'd love to have the flexibility in it but if the 7C will meet my needs then that's the deal for me. Servo city has the TX only for a really nice price. I have a 6EXA right now and about 4 FM RXs for it. All I need is a new TX and I feel I'd be set.

The most major items I feel I need from my next TX is more mixing capability but likely not more than 3 per model. Most of my models are fixed gear and I'm leaning toward some pattern flying. The most major thing I feel the 6EXA lacks is expo and dual rates on the rudder. So that is the one thing that I MUST have in the next TX. The 7C has this but it's missing the modular channel ability that the 9c and the Hitec Optic 6 have - I had considered the Optic 6 as well...

The 7C also has model naming ability that the 6EXA doesn't have but I think the 6EXAS (new) has. It's irritating to go by numbers; I went through a phase where I was building a few arfs and I know I put two models in the same memory slot twice because I forgot since there was no naming ability. The Optic 6 names models as well...it might be the way to go.

Here's a cool comparison chart on Hitec's web site, it lists features of the Optic 6 and the other comparable manufacturer's radios including the 7C:

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/Optic...on%20chart.htm
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 PM
submikester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another item of note is that the 7C does support passing mixes and dual rates to the trainer box.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dukester
Oh and the JR/Futaba thing is just about like the Ford/Chevy thing...
LOL! So Hitec is like Honda in that argument?

ORIGINAL: figment
I had dropped my 6XAS at the field last weekend and wanted to have a spare transmitter for that very reason (i.e. having to send it in for service and not fly while it is gone
Good decision. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I have used other people's 7C(I don't have one), and have my 9C. I prefer the 9C, just for the simple fact that it's so flexible. any switch can be assigned to do just about anything, and the interface is fairly user friendly. I also like the modules, even though I haven't used that feature - yet.
BTW, I'm also a fan of the 6X, I have two of them that I still use.... figured it was time to move on, still in the process of swapping planes over to the campac memory module thingie.(another nice feature)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service