RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

LHS or Tower Hobbies

Old 08-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Greg Y

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LHS or Tower Hobbies

Hello

I am new to the hobby and would like to know if I should order from the LHS or Tower Hobbies. Both of the LHSs I have been to have been very busy and a little more than indifferent about answering my questions. For the record, I did not show up with a lot of questions.

Neither of the LHS stock the brand of transmitter I would like to buy, which is Hitec. They will order the Hitec for me if I want it. I realize this probably means that Futaba is the dominant brand in my area, but the features of the Optic 6 really look good.

How are your experiences with Tower Hobbies?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LHS or Tower Hobbies

Tower hobbies is great to deal with and usually very quick shipping. I would go to the LHS and see if they can get it for you because if you don't support them they won't be around long. Unfortunately for me my LHS is doing some very bad business practices, i.e. not ordering requested items right away, overpricing things, not carrying basic stock, etc. So alot of the times if I go to the LHS to get a few items and they have all but one item I will buy it from them, but if they have only one of the items (which is more the case) I will just place the whole order with tower.

Patrick.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Texastbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg, if you haven't already, I would try to find a club nearby and talk to the fellows about where they buy their equipment in that area. Where I live, we have two hobby shops close to each other. One (a small shop) is run by a modeler and he tries very hard to keep the shop stocked with what we need. The other is run by a business man that is only thinking of a profit. Where do you think most flyers go first? Also consider that an instructor can help you out a lot in choosing the right equipment to start out with, as well as teaching how to fly it.
Good luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
BaronSchwab

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tower Hobbies is good and I sugest you to use them if you do not want to use your LHS. I also agree that you should talk to some guys at the LFC (local flying club) and see what they have to say.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It depends on what you want. I find that there are some people who want to buy from the LHS because they like to look before they buy and they like the help that the LHS can offer (if you've got a good one).

Others do a lot online.

I'm happy with Tower. They can't provide for all your hobby needs, but they are a good company to do business with.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm 150 miles from nowhere. I used to live on the big city--so plenty of hobby shops local. But, I too had problems with getting them to order items in a timely fashion.

IMO--if your a new guy to the hobby, and you approach the LHS with typical newbie questions--they should be jumping through hoops to help you out and aswer all your questions.

From the response you got at the LHS--I'd buy from Tower.

I do most of my shopping right here at RCU, Tower Hobbies and Ebay. With the cost of fuel today--I'm happy to kick in $10 for shipping. I couldn't make the 300 mile round-trip for less than $65--and it turns out to be an all-day trip. I'd rather shop online for an hour and then run back out to the shop for the rest of the day.

If you become a Super Saver Club Member at Tower ($30 per year)--they will include free shipping on all orders over $150. You'll easily make up your membership fee with all the free shipping. If you don't--Tower will refund or credit the membership fee back to you. Ya can't go wrong. Lots of times, if I don't need $150 worth of stuff--I'll call my buddies up and get a list of things for them. Then we just combine the order and get the free shipping.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet
If you become a Super Saver Club Member at Tower ($30 per year)--they will include free shipping on all orders over $150. You'll easily make up your membership fee with all the free shipping. If you don't--Tower will refund or credit the membership fee back to you. Ya can't go wrong. Lots of times, if I don't need $150 worth of stuff--I'll call my buddies up and get a list of things for them. Then we just combine the order and get the free shipping.
I hate to be a sales person for Tower, but I've found the club membership to be very worthwhile. In addition to the free shipping, they send out members only coupon books. Quite often there will be a freebie in the coupon books. Last year I got a free servo, a couple free tool sets, and some other stuff. On my last order I got a free Easy Tote kit. Not sure what I'll do with it, but heck, it was free. If one thinks they will do 3 or 4 $150 orders from Tower (pretty easy for a beginner), it's worth considering. Of course there are other vendors who offer free shipping on orders over $100, $125, etc, so there are alternatives.