Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Reversing a Servo

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Rick Wilkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing a Servo

Can someone tell me if there is some kind of reversing y harness that I can buy and what it may be called. I am hooking up flaps and I need one servo to be reversed. I can't hook up one on the other side because of how they have to connect to the flaps.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reversing a Servo

They sell reversing Y harness. Check your LHS or Tower Hobbies.

The cheap way is to physically reverse the servo. If you have both servo arms facing the same direction and both servos with the output shafts facing the same way (either both output shafts facing forward or aft ) they will both move in the same direction and you can use a regular Y harness.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:13 AM
RC-Captain

something is missing here, are you also using ailerons with the flaps ? If so get your self a programmable radio.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Rick,
I have never heard of someone using a revierins "Y" for flaps but if that is what you need just get one futaba and one hitech servo. They turn in opposite directions.
ORIGINAL: Rick Wilkinson

Can someone tell me if there is some kind of reversing y harness that I can buy and what it may be called. I am hooking up flaps and I need one servo to be reversed. I can't hook up one on the other side because of how they have to connect to the flaps.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 09:46 AM
2slow2matter

Nothing is missing. This is a common problem with quad servo setups. Ailerons work just fine on a regular Y because they are designed to move in opposite directions. Flaps, however, need to move in the same direction. This involves placing the servo horn and flap horn on the opposite side of each servo. Unfortunately, a lot of ARF producers don't account for this, and there is only one place to put the horn on the flap itself, and (of course) the servo trays are already in place. I encountered this very problem when putting together my H9 UltraStick .60. I solved it by bending the push rod so that I could put the servo horn on the opposite side, and forego buying a reversing Y.

Bend the Pushrod wire on one of the flaps so that you can attach the wire to the other side of one of the servos, and they will move in the same direction.

Example:
With a regular Y, two aileron servos, both with the spline closest to the aileron, will need to have their push rods connected to the outside, or inside, of the servo in order for the ailerons to move opposite. With a regular Y, two flap servos with the splines closest to the flaps will have to have one pushrod attached to the outside of one servo, and the other pushrod needs to be attached to the inside of the other servo for the servos to work in unison as needed for flaps.

See the pictures below for a better understanding of all of my mumbling....

PS,
Sorry about the bad graphics, I just came up with them real quick with what I had to work with...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50131.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	328150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96494.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	328151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz70158.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	328152  
Old 09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
bruce88123

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...er&FVPROFIL=++

This may help
Old 09-23-2005, 02:46 PM
RC-Captain

Nothing is missing. This is a common problem with quad servo setups. Ailerons work just fine on a regular Y because they are designed to move in opposite directions. Flaps, however, need to move in the same direction. This involves placing the servo horn and flap horn on the opposite side of each servo. Unfortunately, a lot of ARF producers don't account for this, and there is only one place to put the horn on the flap itself, and (of course) the servo trays are already in place. I encountered this very problem when putting together my H9 UltraStick .60. I solved it by bending the push rod so that I could put the servo horn on the opposite side, and forego buying a reversing Y.

Bend the Pushrod wire on one of the flaps so that you can attach the wire to the other side of one of the servos, and they will move in the same direction.

Example:
With a regular Y, two aileron servos, both with the spline closest to the aileron, will need to have their push rods connected to the outside, or inside, of the servo in order for the ailerons to move opposite. With a regular Y, two flap servos with the splines closest to the flaps will have to have one pushrod attached to the outside of one servo, and the other pushrod needs to be attached to the inside of the other servo for the servos to work in unison as needed for flaps.

PS,
Sorry about the bad graphics, I just came up with them real quick with what I had to work with...
I am going to play devil's advocate and ask you how or what channel are you using to drop or lift the flaps ?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a 9C radio, plug them into different ports in the Rx and let the computer do its job.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:23 PM
flyinrog

2 servo setup for aileron and flaps is channel 1 and 6 on my Futaba 6hs...Rog
Old 09-24-2005, 01:48 AM
2slow2matter

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Example:

PS,
I am going to play devil's advocate and ask you how or what channel are you using to drop or lift the flaps ?
ummmm,
the flap channel (6).
However, with my six channel 6102, I have to use two channels for ailerons to get spoilerons (1 and 6), and therefore have to combine my flaps on channel 5 (gear) to get them to drop into flaps together--this is how I get the crow feature to work with a six channel radio.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:00 AM
RC-Captain

therefore have to combine my flaps on channel 5 (gear) to get them to drop into flaps together--this is how I get the crow feature to work with a six channel radio.
Is channel five on your six channel radio a dial ? if it is I myself would never use anything but a switch. Also this would only work for Rick Wilkinson if he is using 2 servos for ailerons and 2 servos for flaps. Other than that he has to get a programmable radio.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:17 PM
2slow2matter

There are no dials on the 6102. why would it only work with four servos? One could still use a three servo setup easily by putting the ailerons on separate channels (for mixing purposes) and the flap servo on the gear channel. In a situation like my top flite gold texan, where the plans called for two flap servos, and one aileron servo driving both ailerons via bell crank system, the aileron servo gets hooked up to the aileron channel, and the flaps go to the flap channel, with the pushrods coming out opposite ends of the servo as suggested in my above post.

Why all the interrogation??
Old 09-24-2005, 06:35 PM
RC-Captain

I',m sorry but I'm not interrogating you , what you are saying just doesn't make any sense . Something has to activate the flaps and that is what I was trying to figure out.

But since you are getting annoyed , I am done with the post GL

RCF esq.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 PM
2slow2matter

I'm sorry it doesn't make any sense to you, but it works. In fact, it is exactly how the JR manual describes hooking up a four servo wing that doesn't have retractable gear. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't make it wrong. If I hadn't JUST DONE IT MYSELF, then I wouldn't have been trying to offer so much information.

Good day.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:44 PM
2slow2matter

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

I',m sorry but I'm not interrogating you , what you are saying just doesn't make any sense . Something has to activate the flaps and that is what I was trying to figure out.

But since you are getting annoyed , I am done with the post GL

RCF esq.

Something DOES activate the flaps--the GEAR CHANNEL. If that's too hard to understand, then I'm sorry.
Good day.