Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
JR
46.15%
Futaba
53.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

jr or futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:33 PM
GoldenPoint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jr or futaba?

which do you think makes better radios for airplane use price,quality,comfort,programing everything
Old 09-24-2005, 03:07 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: jr or futaba?

What's better a Ford or a Chevy? Same difference. Most people just use the brand they were trained with. My club flys mostly Futaba so thats what I bought. They are both fine radios. If you have a chance go to a hobby shop a hold both - there are subtle differences. Maybe you'll find one you like over the other, if so pick it. You've just found the better brand for you.

Just my two cents,
John
Old 09-24-2005, 04:16 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Pepsi or Coke? Cats or Dogs? Ford or Chevy? With the lights on, or with the lights off? The question you ask is much like this. Personally I buy Futaba just because that is what I have always bought. You will probally find many that buy JR for the exact same reason.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:35 PM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: GoldenPoint

which do you think makes better radios for airplane use price,quality,comfort,programing everything

Yep... they do
Old 09-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Mettler1

No difference!! Buy what feels good. End of story.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:03 PM
deli_conker

With the lights on, or with the lights off?
Lights on for sure.

I just bought my first "real" radio a couple of weeks ago which happened to be a Futaba. I have no idea how it compares to anything but 'unbrand' transmitters. I will say that I didn't look into JR as much because every model is just a number and I can't easily identify what it is by that alone. My 7CHP on ther other hand is readily known as a 7 channel computerized helicopter radio.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:16 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

well I am not a Jr man as I have all futaba with some hitec equipment. I do know that numbers tell you all of that for example a 9303 is 9 channels 30 model memery and 3 wing types. hence the name (9) channels (30) model memery (3) wing tpyes as in Airplane, Heli , and Sailplane. 632 would be six channels 3 model memery and 2 wing types Airplane and heli. Actually it's simple to figure out.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Now that Digital Spread Spectrum technology is finally trickling down into RC (at least surface systems, for now), hopefully the days of Futaba/JR incompatibilities are numbered. Nirvana will be the day when we can finally base our buying decisions strictly on features & quality - NOT forced brand loyalty brought on by manufacturers' deliberate incompatibility.

That said, for now I am a Futaba guy, mostly because of their general design philosophy of:

1. Firmware support for all 4 major TX modes (1 through 4)
2. Comprehensive switch and channel assignability
3. Unwavering 50MHz support (Hitec keeps snubbing their noses at Ham Band, so I keep snubbing my nose at Hitec/PizzaBox)
4. Willingness to innovate (14MZ took some serious flak, but heck... at least Futaba has the guts to do it)

BTW, personally, I find JR's slogan: "Feel the Difference" just about as bad as Saab's "Own one, and you'll understand". I'm sorry, but I am not going to base my TX selection on something as intangible as "feeling the difference", any more than I care to cough up $40,000 for a Saab just to see if I really do understand.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:03 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you maintain one of each the "Feel the Difference" phrase is a misnomer. Futaba programming seems to be more compensative. I like JR connectors and switches better. The latest Futaba direction seems misguided. I’ll be using current equipment until the frequency conflict is resolved (spread spectrum or other).

Bill
Old 09-27-2005, 01:55 PM
sparkling_fist

why does futabu remind me of yamaha
Old 09-27-2005, 02:55 PM
JNorton

I have no idea but since I own a Futaba 6XAS and a Yamaha Road Star I'm a happy camper.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 PM
rvdveldt

Hmmm,

This will be a nice conversation in any R/C club, I guess. If I look in any of the transmitters that we use, I basically see the same electronic components and spec's. Everyone has their radio economically priced (and manufactured). I think it does not matter which make you choose from both.

If you look in the internet, the background of the JR company is a toyfactory, and the background of the Futaba corporation is a robotics/remotely operated vehicles. Therefore I'm personally favouring Futaba. BUT, I didn't know all that when I bought my first Futaba R/C set, just liked the looks of it [&:] Now I just stick to Futaba, because it would be very expensive if I would change to another make.
[*]JR PCM = 512 steps, Futaba = 1024 steps[*]JR SPCM = 1024 steps, Futaba's G3 = 2048 steps, but veeeeeeeeeeeeeery expensive.[*] Analogue = infinite steps, hahahaha. I know I know...

Happy flying
Old 10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
J-To-Low

owning a JR 10x and a Futaba 14MZ

they are both the same but the 14mz has an MP3 player (who could live without that?) and you can do the same thing 16 different ways with the mz

Buy what they use at your local field so you can get help from someone if you need it.

J