Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna Placement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Antenna Placement

Hello,

I have read many posts on this but did not get my answer. I know that carbon fiber tubes may cause problems with reception range. Does this apply to a fiberglass fuselage? I have a 40 size airplane but would like to route the antenna wire through the fiberglass fuselage. I always run the wire out the top of airplane to the vertical stab and let the rest hang out. On this airplane, it interferes with the elevator and rudder.

I would like to run it through the fuselage and let the rest out from the bottom end. Would there be any range problems?

Mike
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Antenna Placement

Fiberglass is transparent to RF waves.
You will not have a problem.
Make sure any paint is not metalic based.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike

What you want to do is just fine. It is my personal preference to do the same and many have fiberglas fuse's. Sometimes with some sport planes I'am just lazy and run the antenna out the bottom (if a low wing just behind the trailing edges) and rubber banded to the tailwheel or a pin. One thing I never suggest is using a cutoff servo arms as is so often suggested to attach the rubber band to. This is murder on kinking antennas. Its increditably easy to just wrap a double or single clove hitch with the rubber band around the antenna and bingo you got a clean adjustable slip knot to snug up your antenna.

Another thing I never do is to run antenna's up to the vertical stab. Any perceived advantage in doing this imaginary in the real world for our purposes but there is a real downside. That simply is handling rash. No matter how carefull you are that poor antenna is always getting: snagged, caught, tripped over and otherwise tormented.

John
Old 10-24-2005, 12:40 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the suggestions and advice. I always use a rubber band also; it's softer on the wire. I will run the wire through the fuse and out the end. It's a 40 size Mitsu Zero with a wide fuse.

Thank you again.

Mike