RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

new but old radio & nicads

Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
mikeeo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default new but old radio & nicads

Hello All, I purchased an Airtronics Vandguard 6 ch radio off Ebay its an older model (dated 7/1991) but its brand new in the box. I was wondering about the Nicads. They've never been charged, are they still good? I have an accu-cycle/charger If I charge then cycle and check the time is that the only way to tell?

I plugged in my batteries in the Tx & RX and tested all servos work great. I can tell the system has never ever been used not once its brand spanking new. Just been sitting in a box for 10+ years.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
ceandra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: new but old radio & nicads

Probably fine. However, you ought to cycle them first.

In teh TX, this is easy. Charge overnight (at least 16 hours). Then, assuming you live away from any flying sites, you can turn on the TX and check the meter every 15 minutes.

The RX you would need to put on a load.

Best to use a cycler on both batteries to get an accurate reading without over-discharging. I would do 3-5 complete cycles to get a good reading.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The batteries are fourteen years old. I would NOT suggest using them. You can replace both batteries for $50.00 or so. Cheap insurance IMO.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:57 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mglavin

The batteries are fourteen years old. I would NOT suggest using them. You can replace both batteries for $50.00 or so. Cheap insurance IMO.
Complete agreement. Even if they cycle ok a few times, who knows when one of the cells might break down and stop working? The vibration from flying might be all it takes to push them over the edge. It's just not worth risking hundreds of $ worth of airplane (or possible injury) to save $50 in batteries.