RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX6

Old 11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Spektrum DX6

What's everyones opinion on the new Spektrum DX6 park flyer radio? Will this catch on with the park flyers or is there really a need for a spread spectrum system? It's been in use by the surface R/Cers recently and now it's crossing over to park flyers. This leads me to believe that it is not for long range use, but more for close-in flying. I presently equip all of my foamy planes with micro gear in the standard 72MHz. The frequency control at my field has not allowed any "accidents" that I am aware of. I don't see the need to go out and purchase a whole new system just for electrics like foamys and micro helis. I do see the spread spectrum as a way to keep rogue flyers that fly within proximity of a R/C field from causing interference to those at the sanctioned field. Thoughts please?

Jesse
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
tcFreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Spektrum DX6

Autoamtic frequency selection is definately a benefit of this type of system.

The main benefit of spreading is immunity to glitches. 2.4GHz provides further isolation from conducted and radiated electro-magnetic noise from on-board motors, bearings and ESCs.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:50 AM
pda4you

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can tell you what I love about it - I can go to the field and turn on without going to the frequency board!

Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where is the bigger thread for this radio???

I am on the list to get one from my LHS.

I will be testing it for our group.

Any other advance info on this??
Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
pda4you

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any other advance info on this??
Yep take a peak here at my review on the system:

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4936

I am impressed!

Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 05:50 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was wanting to buy it and put it on my UCANDO .46 with 4 standard and 1 micro servo, with a SAITO .82 I don't get the model over 300 yards from me ever, so I don't see why it will hurt since it is a 6 channal reciever that comes with radio..
Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
bipeaddict

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't flown with mine yet. But I did notice something very strange today. I turned on the transmitter to test an installation and the music stopped. Yes, I have an XM satellite radio receiver and boom box in my workshop. Turned off the transmitter and the music came back. Tried the "on and off" thing several times Yepp, it was the Spektrum DX6.

Does XM radio know that this thing causes problems?

Old 01-07-2006, 05:30 PM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How would XM know? Have you contacted them? If not, you definitely should. You should probably also contact the manufacturer of the transmitter. RC hobbies are tiny compared to most others so this issue probably hasn't come up before.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Bosshossv8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am flying mine regularly in our Golf Dome with other SS DX6's and it is flawless.

Jongurley........why do you insist on not heeding the manu's warning's on only park flyers for this system??? Everyone would like to use it on bigger planes...but you CAN NOT.

Why???? First because they say so. In big letters. Second, the RECvr can;t handle the AMPS that your standard servos when stalled draw.

But, go ahead, install it in something it wasn't meant to be in , hurt someone or yourself, and sue. On what grounds....I don't know.

Of course you could wait for a proper receiver for it, coming soon, but the temptation is too great, ain't it???

I want it for my giant scale stuff, but I will wait for the proper equipment , and Manu approval.

I will continue using it in my parkies , wish it had EXPO and Snap Roll functions..butI can get it if I want to ....by using the trainer button and my 9303 .

Sorry, JonG don;t mean to sound like I am going off on you,..but what you want to do is boneheaded and a disaster waiting to happen....one over-amped servo is all it would take.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Jean13704

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I Second, the RECvr can;t handle the AMPS that your standard servos when stalled draw.

Wrong. According to the JR rep when asked about this in the JR Support Forum.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Bosshossv8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Really, I missed it. It just seems that the traces would not handle 6 amps for very long. WOW, well then I stand corrected. THat was really the ONLY reason I thought I would n;t try what JonG was pining for.

One cranked over HS-645 at stall and ailerons pumping .....hmm.....

I found NO issues with range at all. Goes everywhere I fly PCM or PPM radios. WOW.

I would believe there was some underlying liability issues as to why they designated it for park flyer use only. But now they seem to back track???

Which thread is that on??...I got reading to do.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Jean13704

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which thread is that on??...

I asked this question on the JR Support Forum about a month ago, before making the decision to purchase the DX6. And unless my memory is completely gone, always a possiblility but I do'nt think so, it was answered by Danny. Today, however, I can NOT find it in the JR forum. Maybe its me, or just maybe JR its backtracking. I do'nt know. However, I am posting the question again on the JR Support forum, so we can both see what JR's position is on this matter.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3754682

Edit: added link.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

detailed field test - see post 16-25, 31-33, 66, 82, 96-101, 118, 142, 171, 178, 180,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&page=2&pp=15

More information - Spektrum
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Better/DX6.html
DX6 FAQ
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ID=1535&Page=3
Indepth - Part 1
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1535
Indepth - Part 2
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ID=1535&Page=2
Product Reviews
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=623
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4936
Old 01-10-2006, 04:07 PM
carlrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone tried this in a 40 size electric (or gas for that matter) to know if it truly just doesn't work if you put it in a big plane. I'm not seeing the logic based on the size of the plane itself. It supposed to be good for 2000 feet and I'd never get near that with my 40 size. Maybe 1000'.
Has it been tried? Did it fail?
I plan to order one today unless I hear otherwise.

Carl
Old 01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Jean13704

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is confirmation from Danny (JR rep) that standard servos are OK with the Spektrum system.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3754682/tm.htm

Old 01-10-2006, 04:45 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actual use reports are at the link in my post, a couple up the line.

Technically they are not recommending in glow planes. No justification provided based on the power source.

They are saying parkflyers and small unpowered gliders.

They say it is a size thing. Someone must assume that all glow plans are big and fly far far away.

They refuse to give an actual range rating. Based on the user experience thread above I am using 2500 as a working range but there is no offical confirmation or denial, but it seems that 3000 feet works pretty reliably so 2500 is probably safe enough.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:58 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The biggest reason I won't buy it is...................................
1- I'm not going to buy new receivers for 10 foamies at $59.00 each
2- If it is really good for micro heli's why does it only have a 3 point pitch curve???????? Thats not enough!

If it had more point pitch curves or I was just starting out it mite be great, but lets face it I flew at the JR indoor meet in Columbus, Ohio and never had to wait for my frquency pin. maybe i'm lucky but frequency control has never been a problem with were I fly.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: edge_pilot

2- If it is really good for micro heli's why does it only have a 3 point pitch curve???????? Thats not enough!
I don't have one (yet), but three good flying friends are using them in TREX helis. They all report that they are not in the least limited by the radio. I have seen all three fly and there is little that they cannot do with their TREX that they can't do with their 50's and 90's. Forward/backward piro flips, inverted, tic-tocs, wall of death, etc. It is impressive. I would not give the 3-point curve a second thought. It does not seem to limit the set up for at least the TREX. FYI - 2 of these are set up using the CCPM swashplate!! The Spektrum handles it with ease.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Bosshossv8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is getting a workout in the dome Friday nite, more and more people showing up with it.

The Heli guys had a couple , it is catching on. The servo current draw was the only issue I saw as holding it back from glow mid-size use. The antenna placement also, being that the antenna wires would have to be in the plane, unless you put it in the belly, with the wires poking through the M,kote. Just the wires being inside the plane may be an issue , I dont know.

I am sure someone stuck it in an Avistar already, maybe not want to admit it...........

I would try it if I had a private space to try it in... but not the public field here.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:37 PM
j_keiter
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1.03 mile or 5430ft line of site range worked flawlessly on my friends Spektrum RD6. I was talking to him on the cell phone the whole time. By comparison my Polks Tracker III with a GWS receiver had no functionality on ch58 nor did another plane on ch50 with the Tracker III. I'm totally blown away. I cannot wait for them to make an 8ch or bigger with digital trims and allow gas planes. If they could do it for $300 with receiver and one servo I'm sold. If anyone else owns an RD6 I suggest you find an area with a good line of site range and have a freind help you do a range check to see just how far you can get. I used my GPS for distance measurment. There was a huge mound of dirt where I was and I did lose signal when I went behind it. The dirt pile was about 40ft high and around 200ft thick.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Dave ESPI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I'll wait for the HELI-specific model with more mixing control ( not that I know how to use all of it, but it is good to know it is there once realising WHY it is needed).
Old 07-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Jacare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,
Theres anyone had a problems with DX6?
I was away for a week and I left My DX6 with a full charge battery, when come back I just try to tur on the TX and nothing,,I found it was the no charge on battery,,but its not after the battery full charger I connect it and try to tur on again,,and nothing....
Any has some problems like that?
Thanks...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
carlrich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine has been the perfect radio. No problems so far. I charge each day after flying. I fly only on Saturdays and Tx sits one week before used again. Sometimes I forget and it sits with little charge for one week and I charge up on Friday.

Carl
Old 07-17-2006, 04:12 PM
xStatiCa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Only limitation with the DX6 that I have heard about is that the idle-up mode is hard coded to 100% for the high throttle point so if you need a throttle of 80/80/80 in governer mode(assuming you use governor mode) you have to set the throtle curve to 100/100/100 and adjust the TRV ADJ to 80% so that your max throttle would end up being 80 at full stick to give the 100/100/100 the desired speed setting.

I don't use governor mode though and need the 100% throttle at high stick to get as much power as I can from the mx400 pro default 2580kv motor.

Anyone know why that limitation was put in? Seems like such a silly limitation.

A very happy DX6 owner. The major selling factor for me was that I did not have to worry about one of my neighbor's kids/adults getting an RC car for a birthday and then one day cause my helicopter to crash leaving me scratching my head wondering what happened. I fly right out back of my house over a huge pond and don't want to go fishing for it .