Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR R610M receiver - good or bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 07:59 PM
yclui
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR R610M receiver - good or bad ?

Hello,

I am planning to order the JR 610M receiver for my new sailplanes and wonder if anyone can share his related experience with me, good or bad.

Thanks,

Y C Lui
Old 11-07-2002, 05:00 PM
KevinSheen

Mine works great. It is in a DLG, flown the last couple months.

Kevin
Old 11-07-2002, 05:19 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default was Splat-Master. Better now.

If you're ordering a *brand-new* one from Horizon you should be fine.

If you're buying one from a third-party source or used... look for "der blaue punkt" or beware. <-- some of you old-time electronics buffs will get this.

When the 610M first came out its wire antenna was too short and the rx was very subject to interference and reduced range. Someone in the sailplane fraternity named it the "splat-master" - and the title was well-deserved. Only the ill-concieved FMA "Tetra" rx performed worse.

JR announced a free recall on these. The rework was simple - they put a longer antenna on them. Presto - problem solved.

I have one of the reworked 610Ms in my Wizard-E sailplane. I've flown this thing to ridiculous heights and have had no problems.

FYI - the reworked receivers all have blue QC dots on them, and the FMA Tetras don't exist anymore.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Bill Mixon

Default 610 M

I have 3 of them and they work fine.

I have one in a fun fly plane, no problems

One in a Xteminator P DLG with the antenna run through the carbon tube (Yea, Yea I know) and it works good as well. When ever I get a chance I'm going to wrap it around the boom as most people do.

And I have another (first one I bought) with the short antenna in a Astro 010 powered delta wing plane. If flown far away from me maybe 800 ft out or so I will get a glitch every once and a while.

I remember the recall regarding the short antenna version, however at the time I had it in an IFO electric plane, had not had any trouble out of it, and liked the short antenna.

Visioneer_one,
Is that really the only differece between the two RX's? If so I might just put another antenna on it.

Also, I just have to ask what does
"der blaue punkt"
Mean?

Bill
Old 11-08-2002, 09:05 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: 610 M

Originally posted by Bill Mixon
Visioneer_one,
Is that really the only differece between the two RX's? If so I might just put another antenna on it.

Also, I just have to ask what does "der blaue punkt" Mean?

Bill
The new wire is longer and thinner than the standard JR antennas. It also has a strain relief next to the PCB. IIRC the Horizon techs tweaked the receiver slightly and checked to make sure that it was tuned properly before returning it. The recall is probably still in effect, and free - if your receivers don't have blue dots on them you might as well send them in.

As for the hidden meaning - way back in the 1920's product inspectors at the German radio manufacturer Ideal began painting a small blue dot on earphones that met their standards.

That mark became so identified with quality that late in the 1930's the company changed its name to reflect their trademark "blaue punkt" - which literally means "blue dot."

The company is still around today.

Ever heard of Blaupunkt?
Old 11-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Bill Mixon

Default 610

Yes, I have heard of Blaupunkt and that is the main reason I asked. I know someone that had a Blaupunkt car audio system.

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-09-2003, 12:01 PM
robg

I have a "Blue Dot" marked JR R610M reciever and I'm unable to get it to respond to my Hitec Eclipse 7 radio. Using a known good reciever for comparision, I interchanged a (much heaver) Hitec RCD3500 reciever using the crystal from the JR unit, and everythings functions normally. I tried both negative and positive frequency shift with the JR unit. It appears to be defective. I'll try a JR radio at the hobby shop and see if this is an isolated case.

Don't you just hate it when these things happen!

robg
Old 03-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Bill Mixon

I'm not sure about this, but I thought that you couldn't use a JR receiver with a Hitec transmitter regardless of the crystal.

Anyone know for sure.

Bill
Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 AM
robg

Well, the Eclipse xmiter was set to positive shift (JR and Airtronic receivers use positive shift). The fly in the ointment was the fact I was sold a non-JR specific crystal!

I'll report back on the outcome when the correct crystal on order arrives by midweek.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:19 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

I don't reccomend swapping out crystal brands regardless of shift. The freq on the outside of the crystal case "72.52--CH37", etc. is much different than what the crystal actually occillates at. What the receiver needs in the way of occillation depends on the design of he receiver, which varies from brand to brand. The crystals may be close enough work on the bench, but not range as good as the proper brand crystal.

If your aircraft/glider will not be effected by the small increase in weight, you would be much better off with the R700 over the R610.

The R610 is the only JR aircraft receiver without ABC&W. This means it has less interference blocking technology than the R700. The price difference is not that bad. You can reduce weight an size by removing the black case and heat-srinking it instead. The R700 performs much better than the R610.

The R610 is for applications where wieght is critical.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Bill Mixon

The R610 is the only JR aircraft receiver without ABC&W.
Huh..?

My 610's have ABC&W printed on the label. Are there some made without it?

Bill
Old 03-11-2003, 11:56 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

The R610 has some of the ABC&W, but not all of it (at least that is what I think). I could be wrong about this, and if I am wrong, I will not edit my post and deny I said it.

All R610's have the ABC&W label. They all have the IC-controlled gain circuit that is ABC&W. The R610 does not have three tuning coils and some other things that R700's and other JR receivers do. Although these coils do improve performance, maybe they are not technically part of ABC&W.

Interestingly enough, there are JR receivers that seem to have ABC&W (like the R955), but do not show it on the label.

The R610 is GREAT for feather weight indoor flyers and backyard flyers. However, in many applications the R700 is needed instead.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:55 AM
robg

This is all getting curiouser and curioser....Hmmmm.

What really irks me is that although JR affixed a label to the outside of the packing box stating "Reciever crystal required", nowhere does it say inside anywhere that a single conversion crystal is specified.

And you guessed it, that crystal arriving any day now is dual conversion. Arrgggg!

Well, I was hoping I as getting a reciever that was as "robust" as other larger 6-channel recievers in regards to protection from signal detection degradation. I'll quote buzzwords from JR's blurb sheet supplied with the unit:

...specifically designed for [handlaunch gliders, park,slow, and small gas up to 30-size].
...features JR's patented ABC&W [technology]...
...exceeds AMA standards for 2im and 3im...
...top of class in micro reciever perfomance.

The disquieting thing is that there are reports of glitching problems with this JR reciever online elsewhere that was brought to the attention of the JR service reps.

E-Flight (the manufacturer of the ElectroJet) recommends the JR electronics in thier manual. I purchased the Electrojet, so I based my purchase solely on that. The servo foam recess cut-outs were specifically molded for the the (2) JR 241 sub micro servos.

RobG
Old 03-12-2003, 04:58 AM
robg

I pose the question to ya'll....would you feel comfortable putting this reciever into a Raptor heli, high performance glider, or some other relatively expensive/labor intensive aircraft?

RobG
Old 03-12-2003, 05:36 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

RobG, I'd Spend a couple more bucks on a better RX ... if weight is important, BERG's are the way to go - rock solid for a PPM RX.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Bill Mixon

robg

As I posted above, I'm using 3 of them and love them. I trust these 610's as much as any of the other JR or Futaba non PCM receivers that I have. Never tried it in any helicopters other than an electric micro heli, which it did fine in.
I would not have put one in my $300+ discus glider if I didn't trust it.
Also, used one in a .32 powered competition fun fly without any problems.

I would put it in an Electrojet without any concern.

Sorry to hear that you got the red case crystal. I guess JR/Horizon expects everyone to know about the different crystals. I wish they would state that info somewhere on the literature, intructions, and explain what the deal is.

Thanks for the clarification MO_Radio_Tech.

Bill
Old 03-12-2003, 11:31 PM
DavidO

RobG,
All R/C manufacturers are producing smaller receivers with improved performance over their previous larger receivers. I use an R610 in a large electric glider which is a fairly hostile environment. Range and performance have proved equal to the R600, R700 and R549 in the same model.
JR was the first R/C manufacture to use front-end feedback in FM receivers and called it ABC&W . It has proved reliable and now is in its "New ABC&W" mark II version.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:21 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Asking if a receiver is good enough to fly an expensive helicopter is not a fair question. If all receivers had the same perfomance, everybody would only sell one model of receiver!!! JR and other manufacturers carry different levels of performance. An R610 is not an R649 is not an R945. For an expensive Helicopter, I would only use PCM.

The R610 is not as good as the R700, otherwise the R700 would be the same, but with one more connection than the R610. Actually, the R700 has quite a bit more inside. I think is is better. For most gliders, micro planes and slow flyers, the R610 is just fine. Most folks have no problems.

It is too bad RobG was sold the wrong crystal. That is a hassel!!

Most JR receivers are single conversion and use the grey crystals. The R940 and R945 use the Dual conversion Red crystals.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:27 AM
robg

Well there certainly an abundance of knowledgable people out there. I'm not one to bash any manufacturers product without being absolutley certain there is a problem. I'm just a concerned fledgling enthusiasists groping his way in the dark. :>]

I've already learned a great deal. Thanks ya'all

RobG