Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
chris_in_montreal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Hi all, I have a question.....

If i'm flying my aircraft and somebody else turns on the receiver of their aircraft (but not the Tx) which is on the same channel as i am flying, would both aircraft suffer interference??
Old 11-14-2005, 05:30 PM
bhanley

Default RE: Question

Not sure what you mean by interference here but what would happen is that your airplane would be unaffected and the other plane (with its receiver just turned on) would receive whatever your Tx is sending out and respond to it. Exactly how it responded would vary by the radio makes involved, the Tx programming , etc.....
Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:34 PM
chris_in_montreal

Thanks, by interference i meant the usual uncontrollable jittering of servos like when two Tx's are switched on on the same channel which results in an uncontrollable aircraft.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Mac_Man_UK

The simple answer is no. The RF emissions from a receiver is so small as to be negligible. When I do a sensitivity test on a receiver, I co-locate a known good receiver next to it ( on occasions directly on top ), the interaction between the 2 receivers is non-existant.

[8D]
Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Depending on your setup two things will happen to the second plane. You plane would have zero effect in the air from the RX begin turned on. If you are using Futaba or Hitec and the plane on the ground is Futaba or Hitec then there is a chance that something could be damaged by driving servos against control surface limits or having two servos fight themselves. If your setup is Futaba or Hitec and the plane on the ground is JR or Airtronics, then movement is possible but there is a good chance the plane will just sit there and not move.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
chris_in_montreal

Thanks for the replies,

The reason for asking was I had an incident recently where I was flying my GP Venus with Futaba equipment (6EXA FM Tx and R127DF Rx). While flying I momentarily had no control of the aircraft for maybe two or three seconds, it did not behave erratically but also did not respond to my control inputs. Luckily I was straight and level but during this brief period of "no control" the engine also quit. The result was that i found myself with control of the aircraft again but deadstick and some way out from my normal flying zone and while attempting to bring the plane back to the landing strip clipped a tree []

Anyway, coinciding with the time i lost control another member had switched on his mini electric helicopter he had proudly been showing off which was on the same channel as mine without checking the frequency board. Needless to say this thing went wild before it was turned off again. Now obviously i wasn't a direct observer of this but from asking other members he had not turned on his Tx, just the Rx of the chopper (but why anyone would do this especially with a chopper i don't know...).

Luckily my plane was not damaged very badly although it needs some structural repair to the wings. At the time i hadn't thought anything of this but it was bugging me and being a newbie didn't know if this situation could have any effect on the control of my plane.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 AM
RCFlyer

A receiver doesn't transmit any signal. All it does is set there
waiting untill it receives a command from the transmitter then
will decode the signal, and send the command to the right servo.

It could be possible that a stray signal hit your receiver at the same time
your transmitter was causing the chopper receiver to go crazy.

That is why a flyer should always turn the transmitter on first so it wont drive
the servos hard. Like Geistware stated about possible servo damage.
(But first making sure that no one else is on that channel).

Strange things can happen!

Clarence