Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are Metal Gear Servos Suitable for Gassers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are Metal Gear Servos Suitable for Gassers?

Are metal gear servos suitable for large gassers? I was recently talking to several people who said that metal gear servos in large gas engine planes will wear quickly because of the vibration and that it was better to use servos with nylon gears. I have used Futaba 3305s in my 1/4 scale warbirds with 75 and 100cc engines and have not had any problems and the servos don't appear to have any "slop" in them, but since this discussion, wanted to put a question up on this forum. It seems that a lot of the high torque servos have metal gears and it seems strange that they would not be suitable for large gas planes.

Thanks,

-Ed
Old 11-16-2005, 12:25 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Metal Gear Servos Suitable for Gassers?

some manufactors r replacing the gears for free. some lighter planes shake more than others some props need to be balanced. Before metal gears came out everyone ran nylon geared servos
Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metal gears can stand up to the abuse through normal flying but nylon wears a lot better than metal. If you plan has small controls surfaces then I would recommend nylon. If you have large surfaces and the plane will be taking a lot of flying abuse, then I would recommend metal. MANY manufactures put one nylon gear spur in the metal gear train to reduce the amount of wear. I would recommend that you go with a servo that meets your application. Metal or Nylon, all the name brand servos are of excellent quality.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:51 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one bad experience with a CAP232 120 and a non-MG servo. Never again. I will always use metal gear on anything above 60 size.