Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Frequency channel communication problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Praetor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequency channel communication problems

hi all. ive got a big problem. a flying club is looking at a site across from my house, within 500ft. if they get it, which is certainly a possibility, then im going to have problems communicating to them the frequency im on. i have a caliber 30 w/7-ch 72mhz PCM/PPM transmitter. id like to solve this problem without leaving the house. are there any spread spectrum helicopter systems? i know there arent any now, but are any planned for release? what about other options? i was thinking frequency jammer, but im not sure if their legal for civilians as they could interfere with alot more than RC models. and it might cause my own model to crash.

help.

thx
Old 10-26-2005, 08:41 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Frequency channel communication problems

Why not talk to the prospective club leaders and mediate a solution with them?
Become a member and/or a director and work with them toward a solution . maybe they will offer you a no charge membership if they understand that
they are now in your transmitting area, if you agree to operate your equiptment within their frequency management system . Or maybe they can block out
your frequency from use at that field ...
Old 10-27-2005, 07:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Or join the club and go hang out. I'd spend as much time socializing or more as actually flying.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:16 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Most likely they are an AMA club. AMA rules require that a club that's relocating negotiate frequency sharing with existing fields that are within a certain distance. If you're not going to join them, you should be able to negotiate exclusive use of your channel. Of course you might also be able to negotiate free membership as long as you live at that house. Having a member so close to the field would be a bonus for any club. Work with them and you should be able to end up with a win win solution for everyone.

Send a letter to the club president and copy the person at the AMA who is in charge of helping with field acquisition. Don't demand anything, just let them know (in writing) what channel you are using and ask that they work with you to come up with a solution that works for everyone. This will establish you as the existing user of that frequency in that area. Leave the solutions out of the letter. After talking you may actually come up with a better solution.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend setting aside a couple of channels for yourself and ask the club to outlaw these channels.
If they do it then you should be all well and good.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:16 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Go spread spectrum. www.spektrum.com
Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Praetor

thx all for re's.

Spektrum doesnt make a helicopter system. their most recent is a 6-channel system for small electrics.

outlaw channels: yeah, i thought of that today too. wish id thought of it earlier
Old 11-14-2005, 03:44 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

You might want to read more about the Spektrum Radio. It is a computer radio and it DOES support helicopters. It may not have as much functionality as a 9C but it should work fine for many simpler heli setups.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Praetor

theres the whole antenna thing too. ive heard that there has to be an antenna on each side of the aircraft for some reason (on full size planes/helis; not park fliers)
Old 11-14-2005, 11:25 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: Praetor

theres the whole antenna thing too. ive heard that there has to be an antenna on each side of the aircraft for some reason (on full size planes/helis; not park fliers)
not sure if that is true or not, but if so the antenna's are only about 2.5 inches long each...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Praetor

really? the rx antenna? i knew the the tx antenna was small.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:33 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: Praetor

really? the rx antenna? i knew the the tx antenna was small.
check out the pdf on spektrum's website. the rx antenna looks about the same as the tx, except instead of a stubby it is just wire. maybe 5 inches long or so.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Media/PDF/...e.brochure.pdf

at 2.4 ghz a full wave antenna is only 4.6 inches, any longer will hurt efficiency, not help it.