RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

help with receiver: GWS Naro vs. Pico

Old 11-20-2005, 08:42 PM
The Rook

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default help with receiver: GWS Naro vs. Pico

Hey all,
Could someone please explain to me the difference between the GWS Naro and Pico receivers? Is one better than the other?
Thanks,
J
Old 11-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: help with receiver: GWS Naro vs. Pico

Here are two links:

http://www.backyardflying.com/secure...6355207.2.html
http://www.backyardflying.com/secure...6355200.2.html

Range is the big one. From what I read, the Picos are better suited for indoor flying. The reduction of range helps with glitching indoors because the Rx doesn't have to deal as much with all the weaker reflected signals.

Where I fly outdoors, all use Naro's without problem. It depends on where you fly. Some people have all kinds of problems with glitching using these and others not. It may depend on the way you set up the plane too. I've had to route antennaes out the wing to get rid of glitching.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:24 AM
no_rotary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This interests me, as I am about to buy an R6NII naro Rx. Okay, the R4-P (I think it is) glitched outdoors on occasion in a Lai Shing Cub with Castle Creations T-18 ESC and a generic outrunner.

What I DID NOTICE was the glitch was always in THE SAME SPOT over the field and at THE SAME ALTITUDE. I could REPEAT the elevator glitch consistently by flying over that point. Have any of you guys tried or noticed this? Makes you wanna go out there with a metal detector and see what's under the soil!

The solution: pass the wires thru toroid coils at the output of the ESC, and ALSO the input lead of the Rx.

BYE BYE, glitches! [8D] That is with an R4-P btw. I detailed the install with photos in the eBook I hawk on eBay:

http://geocities.com/aero_ebook

FYI: according to tech support at BP Hobbies, the Naro series is supposed to be updated with some embedded noise rejecting filter circuitry, but according to what you guys are writing, doesn't seem the case. Get the antenna OUT of the plane as soon as possible, not at the rear thru the fuse. This too will minimize noise/glitching.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
no_rotary

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also: I did try swapping the elevator servo... it was NOT a servo issue but a glitch seen on the elevator channel. The toroids resolved it, but you need to use the right ones.