RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Engine micro servo mounted on firewall?

Old 11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
dragos_cscc
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine micro servo mounted on firewall?

Need some feedback, would engine oil or vibration compromise its operation? Anybody running this setup?

Thanks

D
Old 11-21-2005, 06:56 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Engine micro servo mounted on firewall?

would engine oil or vibration compromise its operation?
Not automatically.

Servos are fairly sturdy things. It's not a given that the firewall is going to expose the servo to any more or less vibration than other places in the a/c. Truth is, you need to balance your prop and build in a secure engine mount and reduce vibration successfully for the good of the a/c and if done properly, the firewall isn't going to be bad for vibration anymore than anywhere else would be.

And they're not advertised as fuelproof, but they're pretty good about being pretty much buttoned up. And there are waterproof ones available. All of them have exterior materials that're usually very resistant to fuel. So take a look at your other models. Are the insides of their cowlings fuel soaked? marked with fuel spots? what? Make your decision about how much fuel the servo will see from that.

I've never needed to put a servo that far up front, but wouldn't worry a bit about it on my models. And if I ever needed to, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And if you're still worried about it, put a simple bulkhead around it. Or put just a couple of "walls" "around" it. I've been filling my cowl areas with "pressure bulkhead" for years to route the cooling air past the engines and that offers good opportunity for shielding. That is, if you really think shielding the servo is needed.

I'd say the only drawback to it would actually be in reaching your rx with the servo connection. Seems that'd be the biggest problem with the idea.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Edge 540

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the fuselage is stiff, the tail might actually see more vibration than a firewall. Longer lever arm....it might be amplified. If it is vibrating back and forth x amount, the tail (say 5 feet away) is getting even more. Not sure if this is true, but it seems probable to me.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:10 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have not had a problem so far with 2 strokes. In some cases the servos have come out dripping with oil but have still worked.

If it is a 4st the in cowl temps are likely to cause problems. Servo will drift then stop working.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:34 AM
dirtybird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dragos_cscc

Need some feedback, would engine oil or vibration compromise its operation? Anybody running this setup?

Thanks

D
It won't do it any good. It also is hot in there. Why not put it back in a less hostile environment?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:38 AM
dragos_cscc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I'm just trying to make some room for a camera in there somewhere. Want the camera over the CG so when its removed I wont have to add weight for ballance. Moving the throttle servo up front and the elevator/rudder servos on the tail kinda made sense. And yes it will be a 4stroke 1.20 up front.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If in doubt, gety a servo made for RC cars and boats.
They are sealed better than aircraft servos.