Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C program changing by itself!

Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C program changing by itself!

I have been using a Futaba 9C radio for about 2 years now and love it with one exception. It changes program settings. I fly giant scale and often set up one elevator servo on channel 2 and mix channel 7 or 8 into it to operate the other elevator servo. The problem is that I will go to the field and turn on my radio and have one servo wayyyyyyy off. I have to go into the subtrims and bring it back in line. It seems that it usually happens after I set up a new plane in the radio, almost like some of the new settings bleed over into the settings on other planes. Has anyone else has this problem? It's driving me nuts! Other than that, you could not ask for a more awesome radio! Rusty
Old 10-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Futaba 9C program changing by itself!

Do you use your cell phone when the TX is on?
While many people will say this is impossible this has happen to me several times.
It stopped when I stopped using the phone with my TX on.
No scientific data to support this, just my personal experience.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:15 AM
Edge 540

I had a throttle that has some wierd endpoints....83 to 140. One day I turned it on, and it was 83 to 100. I dunno! Good thing to do a pre flight, you never know. I might have accidentally changed it, but I really don't think I ever did.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:09 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting - I saw the same thing just th eother day. I had a mix go from on to inhibited and I know 100% for sure I never touched it, and the setup was done last year and works great; had no reason to touch it. I just turned on the Tx and was checking controls on my Pizazz on which I use twin elevator servos for ailevator function. Hmm.. the left elevator isn't moving..

Of course it is standard practice to check all basic control functions before flying, but I think I will check ALL mixing functions once every few flights whether I've used them or not.

MJD
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
sparkling_fist

by "using" your phone do you mean making a call or just having it on?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

MJD, Are you using a 9C radio? Now that I think about it, I have had the same thing happen with my Super 7.

Geistware, I had stopped using my cell phone around my radio when I had problems with my Super 7 but have used it recently while setting up another plane in my 9C. Sounds like a likely culprit to me. I have no other explanation.

Rusty
Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Just having it on.
How I noticed this was mine would change. THe first time was when I went to take off and could not get my engine speed up. Found out that the throttle was not set to open all the way. I now keep a back up program in my Compac.

What made me think of the phone is that when I am in my car, my radio gets static before the phone rings. It also gets static when it changes towers or power settings (bars change). I don't think it is the TX or RX signals but the intermediate signals that the phone uses that causes the problem. I now put my phone on the bench and away from my TX when it is on and I have not had a problem in over 18 months. Before this, I had 3 unexplained changes in 12 months. This covers the 2.5 year span I have owned my 9C.

ORIGINAL: sparkling_fist
by "using" your phone do you mean making a call or just having it on?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:33 PM
ceandra

This is interesting. I don't use a cell phone. I had an unprogrammed change in "spoilerons" on a fun fly plane, where one aileron lost its program. This made for a rough landing. Has not happened again. This was an electric, and happened at home when demoing for a friend. Perhaps they ahd a cell. This was 1.5 years ago, no problems since.

I do know from my work that cell phones occasionally transmit when turned on but not "off the hook". They are letting the towers know who and where they are, so they can reiceve incoming calls. We have some control electronics (8051 derivative) that will "glitch" in close proximity to cell phones (3 feet or so).

Interesting theory. This only happened the one time, and my buddy was standing right by me. Bet he had a cell phone!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:04 PM
t_wright
My Feedback: (2)

I had the exact same problem. It turned out to be the trim levers on the side of the Tx. I went in and disabled them and my problem went away. Hope your problem is this simple too. I know I pulled my hair out trying to figure out the cause.