RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Questions regarding Futaba Servos

Old 11-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Questions regarding Futaba Servos

When it comes to upgrading to higher servos (my preference being Futaba), when do you decide to upgrade from the lower end 3004's to something higher?

What defines the differences in qualities. For example, what would be decent servos to put in a U Can Do 3D 60 size? I'm just a little in the dark in regards to how much of an investment or type of aircraft when it comes to upgrading to better servos.

I'm not the type to be cheap if something more is needed to get the job done.

Lastly, what are some of the low, mid, and high servos that Futaba makes?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:01 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Questions regarding Futaba Servos

it is not about quality as the 3004's are a good servo...it comes to needs of torque and speed.....

the 3004's might actually work, but you would at least need to run them on 6V
I like running higher torque servos... something like 5645's (from Hitec....I actually like their servos more) on 60-90 size aircraft...
no chance of blowback, helps in the prevention of flutter (assuming linkages are done correctly, etc.)

so for me... I look at torque and speed numbers....
something in the 80 to 100 oz range would probably be fine...but more is always better (IMHO)
Old 11-28-2005, 11:10 PM
redfox435cat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your talking about a bare basic servo. anything is an upgrade.
the next logical upgrade is a digital servo.

that model does alot of double servos so absolutly needed the hiest power servo isn't a critcal situation but it never hurts

go for the 3151 digital BB servo. they'er great servos
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 AM
carrellh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The S3305 is recommended for the rudder of the UCanDo-60. Metal gears and 99 ounces of torque at 4.8 volts. GP recommends 'standard ball bearing' servos everywhere else and the S3004 is a standard BB servo.

You could use the S3001 in place of the S3004s for a fairly small price difference. The S3001 is called a 'precision servo' and I've seen a description of the differences between it and the S3004 but cannot remember much about it. The speed and torque are very similar.

Stronger and/or faster servos will not do anything bad to the plane but they hurt the wallet.

You can always go coreless $$$$, or digital $$$$, or coreless digital $$$$$$$$$$

I guess the only way to know if you "need" coreless digitals would be to install regular servos that meet the airframe's requirements and fly. Then install the coreless digitals that meet the requirements and fly. If you cannot tell any difference you do not need the high dollar servos. If you can tell a difference, and you like the way the high dollar stuff works, you have to decide if the price difference is worth it to you.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carrell,

That was an absolute perfect textbook answer, thanks a lot! Good points made all around.

-Brad
Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Carrell makes some good points. I personally believe that bigger is better to a certain point, but the decision to go digital is a bit more complicated.

Digitals are great if you want the precision they provide, and they are a tiny bit faster than the higher end analogs, BUT they require more power, a lot of the Futaba digitals are restricted to 4.8 volt operation leaving you without the extra kick a 6 volt system can provide, and digital servos can be more temperamental to match in dual setups like large scale with multiple servos per wing.

I went with the above mentioned S3305 MG servos on my Funtana 90 and they work great. They may be more than you need for your 60 size airplane, but are you going to just fly that size airplane for the rest of your life? Bigger servos can go into more applications down the road...