Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

how do I clean my transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 04:03 AM
PickeringRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I clean my transmitter?

Hi guys
Got a JR 3810, and it needs a good clean, its loosing it shinyness, what can I use to get this back

Many thanks
Martin
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: how do I clean my transmitter?

For years I have used a new paint brush about 3/4 inch, sprayed it with silicon furniture spray (pledge) then wiped excess off the brush and proceed to wipe down the Tx with the brush. Polish the Tx with a fine clean cloth and its like new, quick and easy. Do not apply to the antenna, wipe this down with alcohol only.

John
Old 11-27-2005, 10:47 AM
PickeringRC

thanls john, do you let it dry or do it wet on the brush?

EDIT : oh and, what kind of fine cloth, can i use paper towel, or duster like material or what? : EDIT
Many thanks
Martin
Old 11-27-2005, 12:20 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Martin the idea is to get the brush damp without dripping. Usually one or two short sprays onto the brush will do the entire Tx. I will usually start wiping the brush on the back side so any excessive fluid cannot run into switchs or seams. By the time you are doing the front there will be plenty of polish left and you can work into some of those useless moulded in case cavities and decorations. Old T shirt material will polish the best. Paper towels just don't quite do the job.

Now for the best part (I use the Lemon variety because it smells good[8D]) The furniture polish will make your film covered airplanes look fantastic for those times ya want your airplane to look special. Agine polish with old T shirt materal. For some reason 'Old flyin T shirts' will polish to a higher sheen than 'Old rock concert T shirts.

John
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 AM
RCFlyer

Martian what ever you use DON'T use any cleaner that degreases
(like CRC Electra-Motive electric parts cleaner),
because it will completely destory the plastic parts of the radio.

I belive there is a fourm about it on RCU. It's been a long time since I've read it.
I don't remember who the author is.

Maybe someone here will know where it located.
I did copy and save it to my word procesor.

Clarence
Old 11-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyin4Funflyin

Hi guys
Got a JR 3810, and it needs a good clean, its loosing it shinyness, what can I use to get this back

Many thanks
Martin
Soap and water?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
PickeringRC

wont the water part seep into the nooks and cranys and make the insides nice and wet?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably, but-------------------ya only live once.

I was just kidding.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
viper1

The dishwasher does a fantastic job, don't put the temperature setting to high though, your transmitter case could get warped.
Make sure that the antenna doesn't touch the rotating spray arms from your dishwasher, they should be able to move freely.
The neck-strap (if you use one) fits perfectly in the little accessory basket depending on the brand and type of your appliance.
That way it can't get caught in the spray arms. This happened once to me and and it was really noisy with the TX banging inside the machine
I usually choose a longer washing program, (2 hours+ ) , that way I can take the battery out of the TX and charge it in the mean time.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
GJ
Old 12-02-2005, 11:08 AM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

If Vipers solution doesn't do a good job I would suggest soaking it for 3 days using the crockpot and antifreeze method...
Old 12-03-2005, 10:55 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to use Armorall wipes...or the spray. If you use spray...sray it on a small cloth. Makes em look like new. I have even used it to put a shine on my 15 year old Craft-Air Firebird. Good luck Capt,n
Old 12-04-2005, 12:43 PM
ricfly52

ORIGINAL: viper1

The dishwasher does a fantastic job, don't put the temperature setting to high though, your transmitter case could get warped.
Make sure that the antenna doesn't touch the rotating spray arms from your dishwasher, they should be able to move freely.
The neck-strap (if you use one) fits perfectly in the little accessory basket depending on the brand and type of your appliance.
That way it can't get caught in the spray arms. This happened once to me and and it was really noisy with the TX banging inside the machine
I usually choose a longer washing program, (2 hours+ ) , that way I can take the battery out of the TX and charge it in the mean time.

Hope that helps,
Regards,
GJ
Haa, Haa, Haaaa, haaha.
Jr and Futaba sales just jumped 100% with all the new transmitters they will be selling soon!