Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GWS receiver on low channels

Old 04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Edge 540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS receiver on low channels

Ok, tower warns against micro receivers on channels lower than 16. (futaba and GWS receivers especially) I purchased a GWS 6 channel horizontal pin receiver on my channel (16) and it was dead out of the box. Nothing. It simply didn't work. After some emails, I sent it in to GWS. They were very helpful. I got it back and it still didn't work. Same as before..nothing. I sent it in a second time and they said they would send a new receiver (maybe a bad version the first time?) No problem, I sent it back. I received a brand new receiver, but they forgot the crystal. No bid deal, I'm patient. It was probably still in the first one. After a few days, I had everything back again. Guess what.....Same as before. Doesn't work at all.
This is a GWS 6channels receiver on ch16- LOW band - negative shift used with a futaba 9c transmitter on ch16 LOW band negative shift. The TX works fine with all my other receivers and I tried my other futaba transmitter on ch16. Nothing works.

The GWS people have been extremely helpful, and very nice about averything. I think it is a compatibility issue. Perhaps 16ch (being the cutoff of recommended channels) does not work? Everything is setup right. I have tried 3 different batteries (with and without switch) - two different TX'x - 5 different servos of both futaba and gws brand - crystal both ways - tried DSC connector - tried other plugs for battery (use ch 5 or 6) Nothing is working.
Any ideas? Like I said, GWS has been more than happy to help but I'm out of ideas. Is it a compatibility issue?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
jdb000001

Default RE: GWS receiver on low channels

Using channel 16 is not a problem - the reason for the warning is that channels 11 thru 15 can get interference from channels 56-60 in the single conversion receiver.

Some things to check:

Is the transmitter set to PPM/FM and not PCM.
Futaba servo wiring is Black for - , Red for + , and White for signal. Same for battery less the white wire (if battery has a third wire, it is unused).
Plugs should go into receiver so they are all inline, not turned sideways so they are in two vertical stacks.
Does the GWS receiver have the F sticker to indicate it is for futaba?

Are you using the synthesized module on the 9C? I don't recall right now, but one of their synthesized modules is not compatible with non-futaba single conversion receivers.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Edge 540

I tried all of that.
The plugs are all in correctly. Polarity is correct. The receiver is futaba negative shift. My transmitter is low band ch 16 PPM and works with all my other ch 16 low band futaba PPM receivers. I dont have a synthesized module. I have tried EVERYTHING. Other radios, other batteries other servos, DSC, sent it in 3 times, two different receivers, no response.
Thanks for trying to help. I'm totally out of ideas.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 AM
jdb000001

Sounds like you have tried everything. Only thing left that I can think of is a bad or off-frequency crystal, but GWS should have checked that when you sent it back to them. You are using the GWS UM-1 crystal made for this receiver I assume.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:58 AM
Edge 540

Yep
I'm just going to get a new futaba micor receiver. I flew my shock flier with a 1.75 oz 8ch full range receiver! I bet it will do better when I instantly lose 1/6 of the total airframe weight.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 PM
sfsjkid

Hey Edge,

Sorry to hear you've been having troubles. The GWS 6 channel SC RX simply amazes me. It works with my 9c and 9z both with synthesizers, bullet proof, and I'd swear it has the range of my DC RX's. Another SC brand I tried was glitch city!

Yes, I too agree that you've tried everything. But one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not you've been using the same RX crystal the whole time? If so that might be the cluprit. If not well, don't know what else to suggest. I will mention though that I've not used it at the ends of our band, just in the middle, 45, 50 and 51.

If you do go with Futabas watch out for the ones with the non-standard connector.

Good luck!

BTW if memory serves me correctly, the DSC function only works with PCM systems.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Edge 540

I sent in the receiver 3 times, and the last one they sent a new receiver but without crystal. It must have been lost in the shuffle. I let them know, and I assume they sent the original. Maybe I should order a new one?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
sfsjkid

Their RX's are cheap enough, but I hate to see good equipment go to waste. Maybe tell GWS that you got a bum crystal and see if they will exchange it? And I lied, one other thing I thought of, you said you tried other radios, but were they all channel 16? Might be that it just doesn't like the ends?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Edge 540

9c on ch 16 and a tower hobbies 6 channel on channel 16. Both are low band, ch16, negative shift, PPM systems and work with my other two futaba 127 receivers.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 PM
sfsjkid

Sorry Edge, on second thought it won't do you any good. I was thinking if you tried the GWS on another channel, say 26, that would get us another data point. But I take it you fly on 16 exclusively. Oh well.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
no_rotary

Shake the crystal, make sure it is not cracked! This whole scenario is a symptom of a BAD/cracked crystal.
Next, with your VOM: measure 5v at the red/black servo outputs of each channel, is it present?
Now, move each stick for each channel and measure voltage between white and black. Does it change with stick movement?
Servos do not have to be plugged in for this one test.
Lastly, TOUCH the Tx antenna directly to the Rx antenna: do they glitch/jump in response?

Lemme know