Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servos - Now VS Then

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos - Now VS Then

After reading a few threads about servo Power and application and one specifically asking if a small 38 oz/in servo could work as a throttle servo, I was reminded of days when guys were glad to be using 28oz/in servos in their 60 size sport pattern planes, some of the old Kraft and E.K. servos were smaller than todays standard servos and use in as large as 1/4 scale planes. Its amazing how much Technology has changed our way of thinking in regards to performance and Min. needs, in the 70s and 80s Vertical climb was not that big of a deal, Hovering was not something that was really considered , Helicopters were only for the folks willing to give up lots of dollars. Now hardly anybody uses a .40 on a .40 size Aircraft, 60s get 90s and so on, Almost every plane had 4 servos , now many get at least 5 and many times more, even in my early days you almost never seen a field charger, Anybody can afford a Heli, And just look at all the affordable Micro Gear. How could anybody not like this hobby with so many options , The times sure have changed and although I have my opinions about what is good and bad , I wouldn't have it any other way. Its hard to believe how much this hobby has grown with such a small market compared to others.

How do you guys feel about how much its grown?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:39 PM
thomasb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos - Now VS Then

Given the small market size of our RC products, I am truly amazed at what we are offered today. I get a bit miffed when folks try to compare our technology and pricing to the cell phone and PC products. Yes, it would be nice if radio systems were internet enabled, software upgradeable, and sold below mfg cost.

I recall hearing the demise of the R/C hobby, as it was known then, when proporational radios came out. Many figured that a morphine induced chimp could fly them. They may have been correct at first, but the flying styles today have advanced too.

In the 1960's, I recall watching several Reed Radio pilots that could tear up the sky, nearly as well as any modern pilot, but they were the exception. Most just flew a more relaxed sport style (loops, 8's, etc.). I see a lot of 3D flying at the field nowadays -- something that rarely occurred even in the 1980's.

Today's kits and systems have eased the required skill levels too. ARF's have allowed more folks into this sport and proportional radios allow dumb thumb folks like me fly. Prices are low compared to what we paid thirty years ago. A 1965 4-ch proportional radio would be $2500 in today's dollars. Good 10-ch Reed systems were about $1200.

As far as model heli's go, no one could fly one before ~1970. I remember getting excited when I heard about an AMA event were one was in the air, under pilot control, for 15 seconds! It crashed, but that did not matter since it actually flew. That was about 1971.

But as much as it has changed, it is really all seems the same to me. Still having fun.