RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9ZH WC, EVO 12 or Multiplex mc4000?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 AM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 9ZH WC, EVO 12 or Multiplex mc4000?

Ok guys,

I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out my replacement for my aging 9ZHP... It still works like a champ but I want a new radio!

NOTE: I FLY ANY AND EVERYTHING! Jet, foamies, gliders etc.....

So I have narrowed down to these 3 but cant decide!

Evo and MC 4000 are cheaper than the 9ZH, but i am already familiar with the 9Z programming. Learning new system would cool with me also!

Can anyone tell be the difference between the 9ZHP and the 9ZH WC? are there any better fetures on the WC?
I also heard the EVO doesnt have Expo and only has a 5 point heli pitch curves, is this true?

What about the MC4000 Expo? Points on pitch curves?

Thanks,

Lawrence Dorn
Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Pilot232
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 9ZH WC, EVO 12 or Multiplex mc4000?

The Multiplex mc4000 is the king of radios where programing is concerned. With 13 point curves on everything, logic switches, attenuation, and virtually unlimited mixing, there is not much you can't do with the radio. The above applies to all 12 equal channels.
The dowinside is it has a very steep learning curve. IMHO it will still outshine any radio(s). built today. The styling may not be in the "glitz" category, and the "pizza box" isn't for everybody, although I fly it with a neckstrap and have no problem. It is way above the EVO 12.

Travis
Old 12-08-2005, 08:02 AM
ltdorn1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Question for you,

Can the 4000 operate both the Pos and Neg shift Rx like the EVO12? Or do i need to toss all my futaba Rx's?

Thanks,
Lawrence
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 4000 does not have shift fitted by the factory, but the USA service chap Ernie Pritchard has been fitting a shift switch to the Multiplex Profi radios when asked. Bear in mind that PCM is specific to each brand, so any Futaba PCM rx that you have will not work with a Multiplex tx or any other brand tx either.

H.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:31 AM
ltdorn1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Harry,

I see your name in alot of posts.

So I have been looking at both the EVO 12 and 4000.

I like the synth feature of the EVO 12. I have seen someone has made a sythn module for the 4000 but not for the US 72mhz.

Do you know of any sythn module for the 4000 for the 72Mhz band? If so i think the 4000 may be my the way to go.

Lawrence
Old 12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have heard rumours that Multiplex will not be making a 72mhz synth for the 4000, but I don't know the official position.

The Royal Evo is very good but it does have an annoying ommision, expo is fixed for the model and is not a different setting for each flight phase. If you fly 3D this can be a problem. There is a way to program around it by using different input curves to the mixer but it is not ideal and involves a sudden change rather than a curved change in response. Multiplex has been asked and asked to include expo per phase in the next free upgrade, there is some reason to think that they are considering it but until we see it for real there is no guarantee.

I have owned a 4000 for about 4 or 5 years, use it for everything from Twinjet to my gas turbine models, its programmability is mind-blowing.

H
Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HarryC,

Is there a place on the net that has some programming templates for the Multiplex radios? Some programming to get a shlep started?

Having to assign every switch is a bit of a pain after being spoiled by the Asian radios.

I would like to see the Grauper programming.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:17 AM
stek79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Lawrence,
regarding WC - WC II differences, they are (I'm going by memory):

- blue sticks
- more robust tall switches
- 4 three-position switches (very nice...)
- 1100mAh default tx battery

Regarding software ones, they are minor (at least for airplane models). For airplane usage, only one function for in-flight mixture control is the new addition. I don't know for hely, but here you could find everything you want:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/manual-9z-notice.html
Old 12-10-2005, 10:07 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,

Do you think the next programming change will require reprogramming all the models again live the last software upgrade? Or was that just a myth?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:21 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one
Is there a place on the net that has some programming templates for the Multiplex radios? Some programming to get a shlep started?

Having to assign every switch is a bit of a pain after being spoiled by the Asian radios.
I think the 4000 comes with some models already programmed so you can see how it is done and copy and adapt them if you wish, though I may be confusing that with the 3030 that definitely had some models programmed. Anyway assigning every stick switch etc is not a problem, you just do it once to suit your taste and save it as a master memory along with many other of your favourite settings like transmission mode, timer setup, etc, and when you want to create a new model you just copy from master to empty. The Royal Evo has a variety of templates built in.

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_oneDo you think the next programming change will require reprogramming all the models again live the last software upgrade? Or was that just a myth?
Do you mean the Royal Evo? None of its software upgrades so far have required reprogramming the models. I don't know what happened many years ago when the 4000 was upgraded to v2.0 but it is so good now and such a long way through its production life that another upgrade is extremely unlikely.

There is some advanced programming help for Multiplex at www.rc-soar.com and a substantial independent programming manual, (for free!) now endorsed by multiplex themselves available at several sites such as www.modelspot.com, www.multiplexusa.com , maybe at rcsoar as well. There are enough of us on the forums here and at rcgroups, experienced at programming multiplex to help you if you have any questions at all.

Harry.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry, I just bought a used Profi 4000 and I have a Royal Evo 12. I am in the USA. I have a few questions:
How do I change the name on tha screen from to old owner to my name?
Can I use the computer cable from the Evo on the Profi?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:56 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bob

You might be able to change the name using the multiplex software which is now available free having been amended to work with WinXP, you can download it from rc-soar.com

I don't know if the 4000 works with the Evo cable, I use a cable I made for the 3030 and the sMpx program. Since the Multiplex Tx use the same pins and presumably the same voltages since they can be buddy boxed, it seems likely that an Evo cable will work on the 4000 but I can't guarantee it or that it won't do some damage.

H.