RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Carbon Fiber And Receiver Interference

Old 11-13-2002, 04:51 AM
Giant Scale

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Carbon Fiber And Receiver Interference

Does anyone have any experience with using carbon fiber reinforced bulkheads in a fiberglass fuse? Have you experienced any receiver interference using carbon fiber?
Old 11-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I toke the chicken way out.........I run my antenna on the top outside the fuselage. I will during the winter test a helicopter antenna on one of my beater aircraft....to see if I get the same range, if all is good I will install this on my two carbon aircrafts.

Daniel D.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:15 PM
OhD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have heard that some of the giant racers had problems on long low approaches. The CF firewall acts like a shield between the transmitter and receiver antennas blocking the RF. The solution was to put the antenna in the wing.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:47 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default INTERFERENCE with Carbon Fiber

We have been building our pattern planes out of c.f. and have had a few instances where there was glitching that occured and PCM lockup. If you are using it just for reinforcing an area then I say you would be OK. Definitley run the antenna outside of the fuse and range test the hck out of it inseveral directions and positions.
My latest airplane ( see photo) had some pretty bad glitching when the antenna was any where close to the fuse. I had to run the antenna out to the wing tip to make it happy. Now on several other c.f. fuse we havnt had the problem but run the antenna on the outside of the fuse. My first c.f. fuse is done this way and I use a PCM Futaba reciever but kevlar pull/pull line. The second airplane I was using a std FM Futaba and then a FMA Fortress and had problems with both these units. I just got a HiTec Supreme and haven't had a chance to try it. The difference between plane 1 and 2 is plane #1 has coreless servo's and plane #2 has digital servos so I am not sure if this is reason for concern or if its a combination of all the stuff in my new plane. I will try to post more info as I test some more.

This airplane has c.f. fuse, c.f pipe and c.f landing gear. I am also runing pull/pull wire cable on rudder and elevator. Going to switch to a push rod and bell crank on elevator to eliminate all the wires in the fuse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35468_2297.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	22524  
Old 11-14-2002, 02:19 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I have the PL Prod models, so the whole front end is carbon, so is the firewall, Landing gear, wheel pant, spinner, ES pipe, and the false floor which is about 40" long (OS System). I used PCM JR, with 7 digital servo's, two 1 meter lead to the tail, and pull pull kevlar cable.......and the rest of the fuselage is kevlar.

I haven't got a glitch....but I sure don't like the antenna running on top of the fuselage to the rudder. I have order the helicopter type antenna so I should tried that soon.

Daniel D.