Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX Batteries Li-ion or Lipo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 PM
RustyTumbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Batteries Li-ion or Lipo's

I have been using Nicad and more recently Nimh batteries for powering my receivers over the years, and since li-ion and lipo's hit the market I have been looking at them closely. I have always been affriad to use them because of the horror stories I have heard. You know cars burning to the ground cells exploding etc..... However I have seen the light when it comes to lighter aeroplanes and I would like to get away from the heavy hi mAh cells that I currently use. My question is what is better? Li-ion or Lipo's??? and what brand of cells do people trust. I think kokam are easily available here and thats about all. I hope this makes sense!! Please correct me if I am wrong.....
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RX Batteries Li-ion or Lipo's

my vote:

http://www.fromeco.org/
Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: RX Batteries Li-ion or Lipo's

I use Duralites with no problems. They are Lithium Ion and have a proprietary charger and built in cell balancer and in a year since I started converting my helis I havent had any isssues. Any battery can catch fire if treated improperly. I charge everything either on my garage floor away from flamables or on a metal work bench.

I really like the batteries because I can fly all weekend without recharging and since its regulated voltage I get consistent voltage to the servos from the first flight to the last.