Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Wiring Airtronics to Futaba J?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:29 AM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring Airtronics to Futaba J?

I have two Airtronics sail winch servos I'd like to rewire for Futaba J connections to use in a giant scale plane-elevator and rudder. Any advice? Thanks, Bill
Old 12-14-2005, 10:33 AM
wsmalley

Default RE: Wiring Airtronics to Futaba J?

P.S. where can I get replacement arms/screws for the Airtronics?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If these are the old style Airtronics Plugs (black with three splines) then the positive and negative leads are reversed from the Airtronics Z, Futaba J, JR and Hitec S plugs. With these old style Airtronics plugs you can insert a pin in a port on the side of the plug and the individual pin will come out. You can reverse the positive and negative in this way. However this leaves the need to file the plug caseing to fit the Futaba J port on your Rx so I do not recommend this method.

Places like Servo City sell Old Style Airtronics to Futaba J adapters or its not hard to just solder on new J plugs with pigtails. On the old style plugs the three leads are all black and the positive lead has a white stripe. The negative lead goes to the center pin, All others brands now use the centerpin as positve. Its just a matter of soldering the 'Old style' lead from the servo the one with the white stripe to the red lead of the new J plug and the black lead from the servo that was on the center pin to the black lead from the new J servo. The sense lead will not change. shrink wrap and your done. As an additional check Some of the old style Airtronics plugs are marked with numbers and the the positive lead (the one with the white stripe) is the #3 pin.

John

edit - Can,t help on where to get new arms but any supplier who sells Airtronics should have no problem helping. Never mix brands of servo arms as there are different spline counts and this can be a potential failure. If you use aftermarket arms only use those specified for Airtronics.

Just noticed you want to use these winch servos on the control surfaces of an airplane and I am not a sailor but I think this may not be advisable or even possible, a sail winch is an entirely different type of operation.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:35 PM
wsmalley

Should have mentioned they are model 94581, with 2 black wires and a blk/red stripe. These are the 'arm' type rather than, perhaps, you were thinking of the drum type sail winches. There are no plugs, having been cut off previously.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can,t comment on the suitability of either type for airplane use. The model numbers may or may not help in the I.D. of the plugs used on these servos. there is a posibility that when the changeover was made servo model numbers were not changed, not sure. I think Airtronics made the plug changeover around eight years ago.

OK that black lead with the red stripe will be the positive. If this wire is the flat ribbon type and that lead with the red stripe is on the outside, not the middle then this servo is wired for the old style plugs and the info above is correct to wire a new J plug on.

John
Old 12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
wsmalley

Thanks, John, I'll give it a try! Bill S.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JR servo arms are the same size and spline count as Airtronics. Dubro makes heavy duty and standard replacement arms for most servos. Used to anyhow.
Here is a link to some diagrams that will help with wiring:
http://www.biggunclub.com/biggunclub...20Diagrams.htm