Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Need Help Programming a Futaba 6XAs for a Zagi with a Cirrus 4 channel Rx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need Help Programming a Futaba 6XAs for a Zagi with a Cirrus 4 channel Rx

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 12:40 AM
gchang70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Programming a Futaba 6XAs for a Zagi with a Cirrus 4 channel Rx

I need help programming a Futaba 6XAs for a Zagi with a Cirrus 4 channel Rx.
I am new to this so bear with me.
The problem I see is that the flying wing mixing in the 6XAs want to use channel 1 and 2, but the Cirrus Rx uses channel 2 for the throttle. I tried using the preset mixing, but that did not work. I also tried the other 2 flexible mixing. I got it, so the throttle worked fine on the left stick. But I had problems with the right stick. It would work fine for left and right, one goes up and the other goes down, and vice versa. But up and down was an issue, both would go up, but only one would go down.
What am I missing? Help?
Old 11-16-2002, 12:11 AM
gchang70

Default Need Help Programming a Futaba 6XAs for a Zagi with a Cirrus 4 channel Rx

Anyone...?
Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Old 11-16-2002, 07:01 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

All you should need to do is turn on elevon mode and nothing else. You need to find the proper channel assignments first.

First start out with the radio in a "normal" plane mode, that is no mixing turned on. It would be best to completely reset the model memory. Go to the PARA menu and hit CURSOR once. This is the REST menu. Now push both DATA INPUT at the same time. You will see SET? flashing. Push both DATA INPUT again. This will clear the memory for the current memory. Don't worry, it will not clear all of the memories.

Set your receiver up with a couple servos. Now test and see which channels on the receiver are controlled by the right stick.
As you already stated, the elevon mode uses 1 and 2 which are the aileron and elevator channels. Also verify which channel controls the throttle.

Now connect your receiver to the Zagi. Plug the connector from the ESC into the throttle channel. Without turning on any mixing yet, move the aileron stick. One of the elevons should move. Move the elevator stick. The other elevon should move. Don't worry about what direction they move, that will be controlled by the elevon mixing menu.

First, get the throttle reversing set if you need. This is best done with the prop removed so you don't get any surprises. Now scroll to the ELVN menu. Press CURSOR until the INH blinks. Now press the DATA INPUT +. INH (inhibit) will disappear and ON will be blinking. Now work the right stick. ANY stick motion will cause both elevons to move. Again, don't worry about specific direction.

CURSOR one more time and the + will be blinking. The MASTER arrow will be above the 1. Use the DATA keys to toggle the + and - so the aileron stick moves the elevons correctly. If you do this and both go up or down at the same time, jump over to the reversing and change channel 1 to reversed.

Back in ELVN, press CURSOR until the + is blinking AND the MASTER arrow is over the two. Again toggle + or - until the elevons move TOGETHER as an elevator in the proper direction.

Fooling with the % is up to you. I fly my Zagi with the % set to 100 which gives me 1/2" throw up and down (1" total)
Old 11-19-2002, 03:26 AM
gchang70

Thanks...

Ran into a guy on a field who figured out the problem for me.
It seems that eventhough my Futaba sticks were for a mode 2 (throttle on channel 3), in actuality it worked like a mode 1 transmitter (throttle on channel 2). He told me to go exchange it, because it will cause future problems.

Just returned from the hobby shop...with a mode 1 model, so hopefully all is good.

Thanks again for replying to my question.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:35 AM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

The 6XAS is switchable between mode 1 and 2. You need to hold down both mode buttons and power it up. The display will read STCK X where X is the mode number. After you select, power it off and back on.