Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Who do you think makes the best servos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 12:27 PM
f2racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do you think makes the best servos?

Almost every plane that I own has Hitec (funny considering I've got JR and Futaba TXs) servos. I'm currently using a mix of 422s, 425s, 77s, and 605s. Got one plane with some JR micro gear as well. To date all have performed very well, but I'm always looking for something better.

I know that Hitec and GWS are rebranded by other sellers (like Tower, Cirrus, etc.).

Who do you think makes the best servos?
Old 11-15-2002, 01:43 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Futaba
JR
Airtronics
Volz
Multiplex

It all depends on the application

JR makes the best aileron and elevator servos for jets and aerobatic giant scale planes where a digital servo with high torque and speed is wanted.

Futaba makes the best all round servos for small and mid range planes.

Airtronics makes the best aileron and elevator servos for large scale aeorbatic planes, or fun fly planes where an analog servos is wanted with high torque and speed.

Multiplex makes a couple nice high torque servos for some applications in giant scale planes.

Volz makes a nice servo where very high torque is required, however, not enough history on it yet. Waiting and watching.

I guess it all depends on the user as well. Others will agree, and still others will disagree. It can then be properly said, that none of the manufacturers make the best servos for all people.

I would put any JR, Futaba, or Airtronics servo in any of my planes. From the $200 s*$# box, to my $8,000 plus planes. In fact, I have !! I will pick and choose the others based on their individual history.

The short answer is, "It all depends!".
Old 11-15-2002, 02:09 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

If you look a bit a the history, Multiplex has been the most trouble free of the bunch.

One of the reason is simple. You can compare to large block engines versus F1 engines.

When you pack a lot of power in a small case servo, something is bound to break, that is why Multiplex's servos are a bit bigger for the same power of others, they don't break.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:52 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by aerografixs
If you look a bit a the history, Multiplex has been the most trouble free of the bunch.

One of the reason is simple. You can compare to large block engines versus F1 engines.

When you pack a lot of power in a small case servo, something is bound to break, that is why Multiplex's servos are a bit bigger for the same power of others, they don't break.
Does that mean the failures I have heard/seen, and the one that failed in my 35% Cap didn't happen? I use them. I like them, but they do break. Multiplex is not immune, nor are the three majors. Stuff happens. To say otherwise is pure marketing fluff!

F1 engines get rebuilt how often? Every race? Sure, if we rebuilt our servos every few events, they wouldn't fail either.

Will Multiplex be offering a service like this
Old 11-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by sfaust

Does that mean the failures I have heard/seen, and the one that failed in my 35% Cap didn't happen? I use them. I like them, but they do break. Multiplex is not immune, nor are the three majors. Stuff happens. To say otherwise is pure marketing fluff!

F1 engines get rebuilt how often? Every race? Sure, if we rebuilt our servos every few events, they wouldn't fail either.

Will Multiplex be offering a service like this
Steve,
Maybe I should have said they don't break often.

But nothing like the others. How often do you see threads about Multiplex servo problems?

I have turned over my Multiplex dealership to one of my friends, so I'm not trying to sell you anything.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:30 PM
sfaust

But nothing like the others. How often do you see threads about Multiplex servo problems?

How often do we see threads on Multiplex servos? Or how often do we see then in the field. Not very often. As much as I frequent the big bird and imac events on the east coast, when people see that big red servo in my plane, they always ask "Whats that". Its rare I find multiplex servos in use. Its rare that I find a person that knows the servos. Even more rare that they know Multiplex makes transmitters. So I'm not surprised that we hear more problems with the majors than Multiplex. There are a hundred times more servos out there to break.

Selling or not, its obvious you have a strong bias toward Multiplex. Not a bad thing, as the equipment is good. I've watched you push it on the gsal list, imac list, imaa list, newsgroups, and here. However, it does get old after a while, much like a few others constantly ranting and raving how their brand is the best bar none.

Live and let live is my motto. But the more you push, the further and further I get away from every buying one. I sure there are others who feel the same.

Just my opinion, please don't shoot me for it..
Old 11-15-2002, 03:59 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by sfaust

How often do we see threads on Multiplex servos? Or how often do we see then in the field. Not very often. As much as I frequent the big bird and imac events on the east coast, when people see that big red servo in my plane, they always ask "Whats that". Its rare I find multiplex servos in use. Its rare that I find a person that knows the servos. Even more rare that they know Multiplex makes transmitters. So I'm not surprised that we hear more problems with the majors than Multiplex. There are a hundred times more servos out there to break.

Selling or not, its obvious you have a strong bias toward Multiplex. Not a bad thing, as the equipment is good. I've watched you push it on the gsal list, imac list, imaa list, newsgroups, and here. However, it does get old after a while, much like a few others constantly ranting and raving how their brand is the best bar none.

Live and let live is my motto. But the more you push, the further and further I get away from every buying one. I sure there are others who feel the same.

Just my opinion, please don't shoot me for it..

But on the other hand Steve, I'm not bashing the others to make a good point of something, Multiplex is the main stay in Europe.

The reason I mention these so often, is for the very reason you pointed out, to get people to know that there are other things outhere then just JR or Futaba. which by the way I never said they weren't any good, they are. As long as we keep this a on friendly tone.
Now if I were bashing other makes all the time, you would have a point, but I don't, I'm just pointing that there are alternative.

There are an awfull lot of people that are happy that I mention often that I make Engine standoffs and Fiber Optic servo extensions otherwise they wouldn't know about them.

Don't forget, we the small operators can't afford full pages of MAN or the likes...

Have a nice day
Old 11-15-2002, 04:04 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry for the poor timing of this post, sfaust--but, I love Multiplex also-(not bashing you)-I do think all things fail, but the German techonogly I think is based more on dependabality--far more than the Japanese. Yours is only the second servo failure I have ever heard of, and I do agree this may in part be because they are not popular. Hey--all moving parts will break, but some are designed not to break as often. I think MPX falls in this catagorty--been using them for years with never a glitch. I use ALL BRANDS--but my favorite is MPX, and I agree with you that it is all in the application. Since most of my planes are in the 15-20lb range the Royal and Profi fill most of them.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:54 PM
sfaust

I hesitate to reply, because the last few messages are more of an exchange between us, than with others. Hence, this will be my last post to be fair to everyone else.

Yes, all of this is on a friendly note, and I hope it was all taken that way. And I haven't felt like anyone has been bashing me personally.

I think its like all products. What works on one side of the pond, doesn't always work on the other side. Both could be excellent products, but each has a history in their respective markets. Its real hard to break into new markets, even with an excellent product. I believe the Multiplex products are indeed well made. However, their ergonomics and human factors just don't make it with the american buying public.

Multiplex has a nice 12 channel radio. People over here really want 12 channel radio. However, they are willing to wait for an offering from Futaba, JR, Airtronics, etc, even in spite of an existing transmitter with a well established history elsewhere. Marketing aside, there is a huge hurdle that the Multiplex radios just can't seen to jump.

I don't bash any manufacturer, well, with the exception of B&B Specialties, but thats another story already buried somewhere on my website. And I never felt you were bashing products either.
I probably came across as a little snippy, and I apologize. It wasn't my intention. I just got tired of hearing it again, like the commercials that seem to run over and over during the same program. I apologize.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:55 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see any need for apologies on the part of anybody. I personally agree with most of what you say. I have stated many times how it angers me that I love MPX and it seem nobody in the largest free market in the world want to promote it. MPX's US distributor thinks the product will sell itself through no promotion incentives-and with some of the highest prices in the world-and hardly no place to purchase them---well I guess it worked on me--
Old 11-16-2002, 01:36 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have a MPX 4000 system, it is very capable but reliabilty has not been good. The support and service has been good but I have had more problems than I anticipated with a radio of this reputation and cost.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by JLLayton
I have a MPX 4000 system, it is very capable but reliabilty has not been good. The support and service has been good but I have had more problems than I anticipated with a radio of this reputation and cost.
What kind of problem did/do you have?
I also have the 4000 with all IPD receivers with no problems, so I am interested.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:33 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default Web Sites

Hey Stephen
I just spent about ninty minutes on your site reading and enjoying videos and pictures. I was sorry to read about the Giles 300 end! Love the lawen darts video.

I very much enjoyed your site,Thanks

Doug
Old 11-16-2002, 03:40 PM
sfaust

Default Re: Web Sites

Originally posted by stomper
Hey Stephen
I just spent about ninty minutes on your site reading and enjoying videos and pictures.
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. Its been growing year after year.

It has its own domain now, www.GiantScaleRC.com, much easier to remember. I'm moving over to the new domain shortly, and I will be able to add much more in the way of rich media. On my current site, I am limited to 10MB. I have outgrown that already. On the new site, I have about 12GB available to me, and its my own local server.

Look for more videos, more writing, aircraft logs, photos, etc.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:24 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Default Multiplex

I been into RC now for some time. And I must say that I have never heard of Multiplex. I hear so many people talking highly about it and wondered myself what it was all about. What is all the hype about, what makes it better and different I asked.

I been using 2 brands of RC gear if it is in planes, helis, cars, or boats. I been using JR and Futaba and always had good luck with them as far as performance and reliability. I only had one failure with JR and that was because i did not charge up before flight. So in the end was my fault.

I just took a look on the Multiplex site to get familiar with it and learn a little. All I can say is they are not into the looks of the gear at all. I seen some funky looking gear but they take the cake. I don't care if the servos farts "gold" I don't think I could bring myself to buy one. They do have a good concept going for them. Thumbs up to that.

I guess in a way it is sad to base an opinion about the looks. But then again maybe thats why I have never seen any Multiplex item at any field I been flying at. And I been to many.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:32 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The US market speaks!!!

I just took a look on the Multiplex site to get familiar with it and learn a little. All I can say is they are not into the looks of the gear at all. I seen some funky looking gear but they take the cake. I don't care if the servos farts "gold" I don't think I could bring myself to buy one.

What more can I say???????
Old 11-18-2002, 04:35 PM
mulligan

One thing about markets that I've noticed. One post lavished praised on German workmanship over Japanese (maybe just with respect to servos).

Bull. At the least, that is an unfair, and highly broad generalization.

I have lived for numerous years in both countries (no, not in the military) and find that the products built in both are of very high quality and dependability. One thing about both the German/European and Japanese markets is the difference in USERS from USA users. The users in Japan and Europe give far more care in their usage and maintenance of their RC equipment in general. Us Americans use & abuse our equipment much more. And I believe that's a byproduct of the RC hobby being more accessible to a broader community here in the states (i.e., in U.S.A., maybe 10% of RCers are "experts", and in Japan or Europe, my guess is 50% of their RCers are "experts"- pick the standard, you get the idea).

I'm not a statistician, but I think this plays a role in why the products in Europe are portrayed to have a lower failure rate. My guess is that if those same products were in the hands of someone like, say me, here in the U.S., the failure rate would go up Another way to look at this (and I realize most can't) is to look at the failure rates of the Japanese equipment in Japan- very, very low compared to the U.S. (that's only my opinion based on anecdotal personal experience).

With all this said, I don't believe servo manufacturer is nearly as important (among the brands mentioned in this thread) as the care in setup, choice in application, and maintenance of whatever servo is used.

- George
Old 11-18-2002, 04:58 PM
AJF 2

My point is this--and I have beat this dead horse a number of times here on RCU---
Day after Day I read the praise of Hitec (good servo-got a bunch of them), JR (good-got a bunch of them), Futaba (yea-got a pile of them too)-----BUT ALMOST NOBODY HAS EVER TRIED MULTIPLEX---AGAIN--READ ALL OF MY POSTS--THIS IS MPXS FAULT--- But still how do you know if they are better or not if you have not tried them, and since MPX is not doing much to promote the US market, it will probably stay that way. To put it another way-"How do you know if you like a bananna over an orange if you have not eaten an orange?" And I live in a place that doesn't grow many oranges. And as posted above, the US market does not seem to want to try something so different---NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR DEPENDABLE IT IS!
Old 11-18-2002, 05:00 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by AJF 2
My point is this--and I have beat this dead horse a number of times here on RCU---
Day after Day I read the praise of Hitec (good servo-got a bunch of them), JR (good-got a bunch of them), Futaba (yea-got a pile of them too)-----BUT ALMOST NOBODY HAS EVER TRIED MULTIPLEX---AGAIN--READ ALL OF MY POSTS--THIS IS MPXS FAULT--- But still how do you know if they are better or not if you have not tried them, and since MPX is not doing much to promote the US market, it will probably stay that way. To put it another way-"How do you know if you like a bananna over an orange if you have not eaten an orange?" And I live in a place that doesn't grow many oranges. And as posted above, the US market does not seem to want to try something so different---NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR DEPENDABLE IT IS!
Its called "opposition to change"
Old 11-18-2002, 08:26 PM
mulligan

Roger, in more friendly terms, it's called inertia.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:40 PM
sfaust

Its called "opposition to change"
I don't even think its opposition to change. How can you change to something, if you never even heard of it. The word is just not getting out. If all RC pilots knew of Multiplex like they know about JR, Futaba, HiTec, and Airtronics, I would bet there would be a lot more Multiplex equipment in peoples hands.

Granted, it might only be the servos, as most seem to dislike the ergonomics of the transmitters. But, at least getting servos int he hands of US users is a reasonable start!

Secondly, once they know about Multiplex, you need to give them a better mouse trap. Not one that Multiplex thinks is a better mouse trap, but one that the users feel is better. The transmitter is a good example. It may be better for a lot of reasons, but the buying public does not see it that way. They want something different, and Multiplex, instead of designing what the buyers want, pushing what they have. The pitiful showing of Multiplex in the USA is proof its not working on a marketing level, or a design/technological level. People are saying no, and Multiplex has chosen to just ignore it.

I also think they are not serious about the market here, since they are not stepping up to the plate with marketing dollars. They are getting swamped by the majors here, and are not fighting back. Or, they can not afford to market here, which is worse. If they can't afford to market here, they are seen as a financially weak manufacturer, which leaves people to wonder if they will be around for support in the future. Perception maybe, that perception is reality when it comes to influencing people to part with their money.

I personally spread the word about their servos to people who are unaware. I like them myself. However, I am really quiet about their transmitters, since I have nothing good to say. Its what my mother taught me. "IF you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything..."
Old 11-18-2002, 08:56 PM
AJF 2

My LHS bought a lot of the servos because he saw mine--and thought everybody would like them. Well--I have bought most of them myself. Other than a few ads in Model Avaition they do no advertising--and when they do--It is something real stupid--(AKA Club Teddy)--There servos are based on a very high profit mark up--MY LHS owner told me what he pays and what he is REQUIRED TO SELL THEM FOR---and I will tell you, it made me a bit angry. It seems dealers are required to all sell for the same price with very little lattitude if you are to remain a dealer. (I may be off base here, but that is the clear picture that was painted to me)---Then when I see how reasonably priced they are in other parts of the world, I REALLY GET TICKED OFF! A major reason for low acceptence is the very high prices of the equipment---PERSONALLY, I BLAME THE US DISTRIBUTOR. From what I see, his business stratgey is not changing.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:28 PM
FlooredCOBRA

That reminds me of the car company SAAB. They may make good cars but damn I cant see myself buying one. Once again, the ugly factor.

But I like the servos!