Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Multiplex Royal Evo - the manual has arrived!

You can't be serious! A Futaba ZAP complete outfit for under $500. Not the 8+1C, the 8+1Z. Our price is $1500 for the Tx and Rx combo alone. For us $500 for an Mpx 3030 trashes $1500 for a Futaba Z.

Tower is claiming $1200 for a Futaba Z complete outfit, or Tx only at $830. And Tower is honest enough to list the Futaba 9Z and 9C in the 8 channel pages if you buy the PPM Rx combo! Your price for a Royal Evo even if only the true 9 channel version rather than 12 channel, with superior programming and Mpx flexibility still seems better value than Futaba.

H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by AJF--2
    how about I buy a crummy Futaba and ship it to you for an EVO
    Err, no thanks! But send me a green card and I will personally deliver a free Royal Evo to you!

H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, I had the wrong radio in mind--my bad----It gets very confusing when these radio companies name everything in 4 digit numbers--I think they purposely do it to confuse you--

Example--what is the difference between the 8411,5945,9402,9202,5735,5625,5645,9202,811 servos--(get my point? why don't they call them Royals, or Profis, or something like that?)
    The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends - Robert Earl Keen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by AJF--2
    servos - why don't they call them Royals ?
    Servos with a high failure rate could be named Windsor, or Kennedy, ones that go off at random out of control could be called Dubyas.

As in "these Hitec digital Kennedys keep stopping in the wrong place", "this very costly Futaba coreless Windsor is making a lot of chattering noise but refuses to budge", or a true story from me - "a JR Dubya fitted to the rudder went hard over to the right and brought everything crashing down."

H

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are very cold Harry --you know that---very cold
    The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends - Robert Earl Keen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to Jan Steidl @seznam.cz I sent you the Evo manual as you requested but your email provider would not deliver it because it says the message is too big. Sorry.

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have found another glorious feature of the Royal Evo which I somehow missed first time around.

You can create Global mixers that then become available for all models just like calling up one of the built-in mixers, in fact you can even wipe out and rebuild the built-in mixers! So what? Well most of my models (aerobats) get a knife edge mixer, that is rudder to elevator and rudder to both aileron servos. I have to create this user defined mix in every model. In the Royal Evo you give it a name such as KNIFEEDGE and store it as a global mixer! It now shows up in the menu of available pre-programmed built-in mixers for every model.

I am not going to buy one though, not going to buy one, not......

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The way I read it was that you could only have global mixes. So once you use the alloted 9(?) you are out. Also redefining the predefined ones break the templates provided with the radio. Am I missing something on this?

It would be nice to have mixes that only exist for a given model.

scott.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was my understanding too. I took the opinion that I will never use up 9 free mixers, as each one can have 5 inputs so my first user defined mixer will have ele rudd ail throttle and flap input with all the usual cross connections, but each connection left at OFF. Then I just assign servos to it and enable whichever particular connection I want.

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry,

What features of the 4000 do you miss in the RE?

I am an owner of the 3030 and one of the things I hate more is having to change the setting of both servos of the ailerons when adjusting the mixes. Using the digi adjuster to alter both servos at the same time is a very nice feature. But I do not need an RE.

Having 2 digi adjusters is also a nice feature. But I do not need a RE.

And I have a nice excuse not to buy an RE. I have a PCM receiver. Thank you Multiplex for giving me an excuse not to buy it :disappoin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JoanC

Bummer about the PCM, I still think giving up PCM is an error by Mpx but there we go. The 4000 has PCM/A mode, but don't let me tempt you into buying one! Ahem, as if I would even try

The 4000's Multimixes allow you to adjust many servos at once, I love being able to adjust the knife edge mix in flight but can't if it is 2 aileron servos on a 3030. I can do it with the 4000.

If past Mpx experience is anything to go by, the manual will not do justice to the radio so I suspect the RE may be a tad better than the manual suggests.

Anyway, I like to fit the type of switch I want, where I want. 2 or 3 position, spring loaded or latching etc. To my 4000 I fitted a push button with a bright red top to operate the timer. That flexibility is gone in the RE.
    The push button I fitted for the timer is a push to make, spring loaded, it is not latching. So how does the timer keep running after I have pressed and released the button? The 4000 includes software emulations of switch types which can be allocated to real or software switches, so I allocated a latching switch emulation to the push button and now it behaves like a latching switch even though it is not. I press the button and the timer re-sets and runs. I push it again and it stops, I push it again and it re-sets and runs and so on. I don't think these exist in the RE.

Call me old fashioned but..... I actually prefer holding the wide shallow box of the 3030/4000 to the narrow deep Japanese/Evo box!! I have used digi trims when I regularly test fly other people's models and I really don't like them - the trims that is, not their models! Digi trims are great for administration of a model but bad for use in flight and that is where they are needed most. The 4000 has extensive software for the trims that the 3030 does not have, making the mechanical trims all but as easy to administer and adjust as digi trims, while maintaining the advantages of mechanical trims when flying. Multiplex had to go down this route because digi trims are the fashion and they need to sell the RE, but for me it counts against the RE.

I felt that one of the main limits of the 3030 is that you get just one real software switch, the Gx. The 4000 has stacks of switches, and of many different types, including an analogue type which attenuates over a window rather than binary on/off, and a logical type in which you can combine inputs with AND and OR tests, and several other types. And where the 3030 Gx switch works on a control position, the 4000's switches can be set to control or servo positions - servo position being the result of mixing and/or slowing so is not the same as a control position. These can be built into very powerful controllers because you can allocate several switches, and of different kinds, to one control. I get a feeling from the RE manual that each control only has one switch, of the on/off type, see the screen shot on p94 of the manual. If that is true then it limits what can be done compared to the 4000. The best thing in my 4000 that I will never give up now is the ability to have the rudder control position switch the elevator rate on and off. It is just the mutt's nuts for automatically swapping from pattern to some 3D manoeuvers and back again without me having to touch a switch. It uses 2 control switches on the rudder fed through a logical switch, and then I attach the rate switch to the logic switch output. If the RE does not have some means of achieving the same end to get full rudder deflection in either direction to control the rate switch, I will lose interest very very fast. That ability alone on the 4000 is the killer application for me. It transforms an aerobatic flight.
    I can attach 2 single point control switches to a proportional retract servo and then use them to switch the door servo for the complete P51 Mustang sequence of door open, gear down, door closed, then door open, gear up, door closed. I doubt that the RE can.

The other main limit of the 3030 is the lack of multi point curves, the 4000 has up to 13 points on all servos. I find a 9 point perfect for the throttle as with trim sensitivity set to 20%, points 1, 2 and 3 match trim back, trim middle and trim forward for setting the perfect cut, ground idle and flight idle. Maybe I am missing it but I only saw 5 point curves on only the throttle control on the RE and that appeared to be heli related. Multi point curves, yes up to 13 points, are useful for matching twin elevator servos to travel precisely together acroos their entire travel.

The 3030 has servo speed control set at the control end. The RE also seems to have it at one end only. The 4000 has it on some controls (will not allow on the 3 primary flight controls for obvious reasons), on all mixer inputs and on all servos. So I set the elevator to have throttle mixed in on my Tomahawk as it tends to nose up quite a bit after power is applied. But there is a delay of a few seconds while speed builds until the strong pitch up begins. Mixing throttle to a bit of down trim would kick in immediately, resulting in an immediate nose down followed by a long nose up. In the 4000 I have the throttle and elevator controls and servos running at normal speed, but the throttle input into the elevator mixer is slowed so that the trim mix comes in slowly just as the delayed pitch up begins.

Golly, I have rambled on a bit again, but I hope that gives you a deep insight into why the RE is below the 4000 not just in some esoteric theory or features that no-one ever uses, but it translates into hard practice for me.

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gents,
    the Royal Evo showed up in my local hobby store today. For real and for sale so I believe it will pop up across Europe this week.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, it's for real this time, i also heard from some of my german friends that the RE has finally arrived in the hobby shops.
    Although the chrystal version only, no synthesized yet.

Michael
    Michael
    I care about rising air !

My HP
    http://www.mkrusa.com/intro_engl.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HarryC

Seems you are trying to convince yourself that you do not like the RE .

I see you rate the RE below the 4000 which, is what MPX are saying but they also say it is above to 3030 - do you agree with this?

Rory

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Royal EVO Manual

Here's a link to view pictures, info, and specs for the new Royal EVO radio coming to the US: http://royalhobbydotcom/royalevoradio.htm

Here's a link if you want to download the Royal EVO manual: http://www.royalhobbydotcom/ROYALevo1GB.pdf

Just replace the word "dot" with a "." in the links.

Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The instruction PDF file is not there!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by Gary Retterbush
    The instruction PDF file is not there!

Your welcome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by MyStar

Your welcome!
    I don't understand your comment. Can you elaborate, please?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

evo pdf file

Gary, please try again, I just downloaded it.
    Just paste the second link posted by MyStar, change the "dot" to a ".", and it works !

Michael
    Michael

My HP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, it is working now but it did NOT work earlier. I got the meesage that the file was not available on that server. I had also tried right after I got Karlton's email that the new site was up.

And, yes, I did use the correct URL. I even tried to access thru the home pages. I assume they are working on the site right now.

At any rate, it is now there.

Edited:
    They are working on the site right now so all sorts of things work/don't work. The link to the PDF instructions just became active from the home page.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by rorywquin
    HarryC

Seems you are trying to convince yourself that you do not like the RE .

I see you rate the RE below the 4000 which, is what MPX are saying but they also say it is above to 3030 - do you agree with this?

Rory
    I really really like the RE, if I was still relying on my 3030 and if the 4000 did not exist I would be one of the first to buy the 12 channel synthesised REs when they arrive. I bought the 4000 just a few months ago, knowing very well that the RE was coming and what it could do, I judged that the 4000 was quite a bit better so I went for that rather than wait for an RE. I think the 9 channel RE is a little bit better than the 3030 in the number of genuinely useful day to day features, and a lot better in programming structure and its usability with non-Mpx equipment like mine. But setting aside frippery like the internet download of software upgrades, what can a 9 channel RE do for your model and flying that a 3030 can't? It has a few more software switches which is good and the 3030 needed some more, and the mixer structure means the digi adjustor adjusts all servos such as all 2 or 4 or 6 aileron servos at once instead of only one servo at a time. Is that it? The downside is you have lost the ability to fit the switches and buttons and rotary knobs that you want, where you want. I think it shows just how far advanced the 3030 was, and IMO, still is.

My model shop does not believe my protests for one second and is expecting to sell his first 12 channel synth RE to me. He might win that one yet!

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry, would like your opinion :

I fly sailplanes only, mostly scale, 4m wingspan the biggest so far. Right now I have a mc3030, and are very happy with it.
    But for the future, I am planning on bigger sailplanes 1:3.5 scale, maybe even 1:3, possibly with up&go powerplant.
    With the mc 3030, that will be very tricky, if not impossible , for example MPX ASH26 :

Channels :
    Rudder
    Elevator
    2 ea. ailerons
    2 ea. flaps
    1 ea. spoilers (2 servos connected via Y-lead)
    1. ea retract

A total of 8, which would leave only one channel for extension/retraction of the up&go, and the speedcontrol.
    Right now, the 9th channel is used for the tow-release.
    This could be handled with a servosequencer like the one from SM Modellbau, which allows to program up to 5 functions to one channel.

However, I have pretty much decided to switch to a 12 channel TX, now the question is, wait for the RE12 (which will be still some time, before it comes out in the 72 MHz version, I am told), or go with the mc4000?

From what I know about the 4000, I think I could do the extend/power-up/power-down/retract sequence with it's built in mixers, maybe even include the open-close doors with a servo, right ?

Michael
    Michael

My HP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Michael, I am not sure that I have understood exactly what you want to do with the power pylon. Is it: doors open, pylon moves up into position and then switches power on, and the reverse to retract it? Do you want it to automatically switch on full power only, or enable/disable the speed controller so that the throttle only works when pylon is extended?

I would hate to mislead you into buying a 4000 and then find it can't do it so this evening I have done a test with real servos to prove it. Three servos: one for the doors, one for the pylon and one for throttle. Control G is a 2 pos real switch assigned to aux-1 and set for 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down. Pylon servo is assigned to aux-1. Ctrl switch 1 assigned at one end pylon servo's travel and ctrl switch 2 at other end of pylon servo's travel. Door servo assigned to ctrl G but with fixed value triggered by ctrl switch 1, throttle assigned fixed value -100% (idle) to ctrl switch 2. From the starting position of pylon down, the doors are closed and throttle is disabled at fixed value of idle. Move real switch G and the door servo goes full speed from one end of travel to the other, the pylon servo takes 4 seconds to travel up and only as it stops at end of its travel does it switch off the throttle's fixed value override and the throttle servo responds to the stick. On moving real switch G to down, the throttle instantly goes to fixed value idle, the pylon servo takes 4 seconds to travel down and only when it reaches end of travel the door servo moves full speed to close the doors. I guess that is what you are looking for Michael? Please tell me how you align the prop to the pylon for stowing it!

This is possible because where the 3030 has just one software switch the Gx, the 4000 has 6 of them called control switches and they can be assigned to the position of a control stick/switch or the position of a servo, plus 2 3-position software switches to read 3 pos secondary switches, 3 momentary switches (software emulation to convert non-latching to latching on passing contact), 6 analogue switches (move progressively from on to off over a window rather than absolute binary nature of on/off switch) and finally 4 of the logic switches. What's more, the control switches can be 1 position where on and off are the same point, or 2 position where the on and off points can be separated, e.g something switches on at hi throttle but only switches off when you get down to low throttle. I can write basic computer programs using conditional statements, AND and OR tests in the 4000, is this perhaps the only model computer radio in the world in which you truly can program it and not just twiddle the numbers? I wrote a program that said "IF (rudder is full left OR rudder is full right ) AND retracts are up THEN elevator rate switch off, ELSE elevator rate switch on." If you can't do what you want with that lot especially when combined with virtual servos and servo slowing at 3 different points of the process, then you need an IBM PC on board, not a model radio!

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are the 4 switches on the face of the Evo 3-position or 2-position switches?

Will we ever be getting the scanning feature?

Are different gimbals included with the TX?

Will it work with JR RXs? What about PCM RXs?

Thanks
    Craig

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gosh, I thought we had seen the last of this thread a long time ago!

Some switches are 3 pos, some are 2 pos.

I don't know about features such as the scanner in the USA, check with Mike Mayberry.

Gimbals? I think you mean sticks. In Europe the set comes as standard with 3 different stick sets including the sculptured sticks with buttons.

In Europe it works with all PPM Rx, I believe in the USA it is shift compatible with JR but not Futaba. It will not work with PCM Rx from other brands, there is no compatibility across any brands in PCM. Anyway the RE only has PPM as Mpx make PPM Rx with failsafe and have given up on PCM.

Harry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast