RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

what radio to get??? 8103, 387, 9C?

Old 11-16-2002, 06:49 AM
torcgolf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what radio to get??? 8103, 387, 9C?

i just sold my old radio and am looking to get a new one. i fly electric planes and gliders only. i want something with around 8 model memories and digital trim is a must. im looking to spend around $350-$500. preferrably new but used will be fine too. since i have all the rx's and servos in my planes now, i'd like to get something compatible with JR. does futaba work with jr components? how about 555 rx's?

thanks.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:51 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba won't work with JR receivers. If your 555 is positive shift (JR) you'll have to get a different one for use with Futaba.

My advice is to buy the radio that fits you best. Go to the shop and hold them in your hands. It's an investment you'll use for years to come, so how it feels and where the switches meet your fingers matters.

For what it's worth, it seems like a lot of glider pilots choose Airtronic's Stylus. I'll work with your JR receivers. It's a very nice radio, with more features than the 9C or 8103. If I'd not found a great deal on my 8103 I'd have gotten a Stylus.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:22 AM
torcgolf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default thanks mike.

wanna sell your 8103? if so, i'd be interested in the whole package or just the radio... just thought i'd ask.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:13 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine's an older analog trim model. Now that I think of it, so's the Stylus. They've both got trim memory, which is nice. I went from digital on my RD6000 to analog with this 8103. I'm pretty happy with it.

If I find a sweet deal on a Stylus one of these days I'll probably move up to it. It'll switch between positive and negative shift, letting me use a couple of Futaba receivers I have around here that are gathering dust.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:55 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had an 8103 for sailplane use; I now have a Stylus in its place.

The Airt radio does offer more features than the JR, but its definitely less user-friendly to program. The feature and memory cards are also a PITA to deal with, but only if you take more than 4 planes out to he flying site. (The radio itself can only store 4 active setups. Anything more than that and you have to perform a special card-swapping dance. Insert appropriate feature card, turn on radio, swap in memory card, load appropriate model into one of the four intermal memories, swap back in the programming card, power-cycle radio.)

(Also - yuo cannot mix model types! If you have a Helo or Air model set up in one of the internal memories and power up with the Glid card installed you'll have to wipe all four internal memories *or* you'll have to perform the reverse-card-swapping-dance mentioned above to save models in the radio's internal memories to the 50-model card.)

I am *so* glad I only use this thing with one model type. My old 8103 my have been a little less feature-rich but it was damned easy to use day in, day out. For sailplane use the only thing the Stylus has over it IMHO are the sliders - much more intuitive for flap use than the 8103's round pots.

Yak, yak, yak . . . sorry, guys.