Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need Help Programming JR8103

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need Help Programming JR8103

I have been working on this long enough to run down the battery in the TX and had to charge it up again. Still can't figure it out. I've got a manual for my 8103 here--but it doesn't make sense to me. I'm used to programming the JR652.

I'm using a Sullivan Skywriter electronic smoke pump in a plane. It has a 9.6V 300mah battery on it's own switch.

I can't figure out how to slave the smoke pump too the throttle channel.

I want to use the AUX 3 dial on the top of the TX on the right side to dial up my smoke. Is this possible--to put my smoke pump on a dial?

If so--then how do I program it.

If it's not possible to put my smoke pump on an auxiliary dial--then how do I slave it to throttle and put it on a switch?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need Help Programming JR8103

From looking at the Sullivan photo and write-up, it would appear the Skywriter has a plug that goes into channel 8. Not having read the instructions, I don't know for sure, but it appears the controller works like one of the on-board glow units. I would say to plug it into ch 8, dial up the knob and see if the pump runs.

As for mixing to throttle, I would use mix 1 or 2, the multi-point mixes and set throttle-master & aux 3-slave. I would set the low end so that aux 3 would be at zero travel (off) until half throttle or where ever you want it. You can probably use offset to do this, too, but a multi-point mix gives you more control. This way, when you go to low throttle the smoke would automatically turn off.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Rcpilot

ED:
Thats exactly what I've been trying to do.

First, I tried P-MIX 3. I slaved Aux 3 to throttle. Adjusted the rate to 100% and then advanced the throttle stick. Nothing happens.

Then I tried P-MIX 1 I slaved Aux 3 to throttle (master). I set up a multipoint curve similar to what you described. Nothing happens.

I even plugged my smoke pump into channel channel 2 and moved my aileron stick. Nothing works.

I don't have to get it dial in perfect right now. I am just trying to determine pumping action so that I know which side of the pump to hook up to the clunk and which side to hook up to the muffler. The inlet and outlet ports aren't labeled on the pump--so I gotta get it pumping and see which way it's going to move the fluid.

[&o]

I'm gonna need detailed instructions here. I just don't get it--and the manual isn't much help.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:06 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some smoke pumps need a strong signal (large atv) to start, and they can then be adjusted. Same if they have been running, they need a small (large - atv) to be completely shot dowm before they can be restarted. These particular smoke pumps can not just gradually be turned on and off, but need max atv at each end for initiation and shot down. Try to work that into the equation or programming when trying to slavve it to your throttle.
DKjens
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Rcpilot

I got it slaved to my gear switch. So, at least I got ON and OFF. That enabled me to at least find out what direction the pump was going to run and I was able to finish plumbing the system.

I think I'm going to have to use PMix 1 or PMix 2 and set a 5-point curve and set it up for full ON and full OFF--but still incorporate the curve in there for flow speed when it's on. I think I can do it now. I at least know what the point graph needs to look like now.

In my perfect world:
I would like to have this on a switch. The gear switch could turn the pump ON and OFF. That way--if I don't want to run the smoke on a flight--just flip the switch and it's OFF.

Now, if I want smoke--turn the switch ON and then the pump will respond to the throttle stick. OFF under 1/4 throttle and ON for anything over that.

I don't know if I can do it like that--but thats what I would like.