Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Having radio problems with my new Zero. Help please?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Having radio problems with my new Zero. Help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 01:09 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having radio problems with my new Zero. Help please?

Hello, I just finished my Zero last night. I still gotta do some touch-up paint where the foam was cut though..

When testing it out las night, I can not get the radio to work properly.. I have a GWS GWR-4P receiver. It's brand new, and never been tested.

I have a crystal on channel 52. My TX is a JR XP783 heli radio, also on 52. I switched the Heli radio over to FM, and turned everything on. If I keep the TX off, and turn the plane on, all servos go haywire, and the motor spins, but the second I turn the TX on, everything stops moving dead in it's tracks, but, I can't control anything.. Thinking maybe my TX wasn't right, I put the crystal in an old 4 channel Conquest Futaba, and it does the same exact thing. Is there something wrong with my receiver or something I don't know?

Thanks for any and all help!
Jeff
Old 10-31-2002, 08:08 PM
Giant Scale

Jeff
I think you are going to have to solve this one by process of elimination. I would start by bench testing the system away from the plane. Just use the receiver and one servo and see if you are transmitting. If everything works then the problem lies with in your install into the plane. I am not that familiar with electric planes but perhaps the ESC or motor is interfering with the radio signal.
I don't know that much about GWS receivers perhaps the shift on the receiver is not compatible with JR ie positive or negative. I know that hitec and futaba share the same shift, but JR is opposite to these. Even though the RX and TX are on the same freq I don't think they will work. These things are easy to check, so let us know what you find out.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:11 PM
Giant Scale

Jeff
Your transmitter requires a positive shift receiver, one that is compatible with JR/Airtronics. Also this receiver uses a single conversion crystal. Perhaps you purchased the wrong receiver.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:51 PM
TurboRacer

yep, I purchased the wrong receiver.. It's for a Futaba.

Though I don't understand why it wouldn't work with my Conquest, that's a Futaba...

Weird.

I ordered the JR one. I hope that one works.

thanks
Old 10-31-2002, 08:55 PM
Giant Scale

Jeff
How old was the futaba transmitter? I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet until you test the new receiver with your transmitter. Let us know what happens.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:47 PM
TurboRacer

Ok, now I'm getting a little frustrated...

I got the new receiver. Say's "J" on it.

The thing still won't pick up the signals.

My setup:

JR XP-783H helicopter radio with a PCM module, but can select ZPCM, SPCM, And PPMF (FM) on channel 52
JR version GWS GWR-4P receiver on channel 52
ICS-100 speed control
3 Naro servos
8 cell 800 MAH NiMH battery pack

I have the ESC hooked into where the RX says "4/B", then I have the servos hooked in the other slots.

I have my TX on plane mode, and in FM mode. Nothing moves. My ESC warms up a bit, but that's all. Is my TX not right? I want to fly this thing so bad I can taste it. Do I need a different crystal? Or are they the same for both +&- shift?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2002, 02:10 PM
easymoney

Jeff

There is a small switch on the back side of your GWS GWR-4P receiver ... just switch it to the other direction and I hope the problem will solve.

The GWS GWR-4P receiver has capability to operate with both +ve and -ve shift by switching the small switch on the receiver.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:29 PM
TurboRacer

Hmm.. I was looking last night for that switch, and didn't see it. I'm wondering if it's not on that receiver. I'll llook again.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002, 04:27 AM
Giant Scale

Try hooking up one servo and a battery pack to the receiver and see what happens. Don't use the ESC and see what happens. Is there any indicator on your transmitter that indicates whether it is transmitting or not? Did they send you the right receiver? If all this fails do you have a JR receiver you could try? I have a very limited knowledge of electric speed controls but I always thought the ESC was plugged into the Ch3 throttle servo slot on the receiver. Your ESC also has a BEC circuit I am assuming. Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:22 PM
TurboRacer

Nothing works..

I think I'm going to put a full size FM receiver in it. Will there be any problems witht hat? I can move it pretty far foward, so maybe it'll help with the CG issue.

I may have fried the new receiver too because in the process of playing musical wires I saw some smoke. :stupid:

Anyways. I'll see what happens. Those servos and ICS should work with a regular old 4channel FM aircraft receiver right?