Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Wiring a four pin connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:10 AM
kestrel53065

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring a four pin connector

I would guess that this topic has been covered before, but, I have a discus launch glider that has ailerons. I want to make the servo connector at the wing a single 4 pin connection. I understand that on the 4 pins at the wing I will have 2 negative wires on one pin, 2 positive wires on another pin and then a signal wire from each aileron servo on the other 2 pins. My question is, can I run only 4 wires from the Rx back to the 4 pin connector that plugs into the wing half of the plug? Such as, a signal wire and the negative from one aileron port and positive and signal from the other aileron port? Or do all 6 wires have to go back to the plug?

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wiring a four pin connector

Best method IMO is to use the 6-pole MPX connectors.

Yes you can share the positive and negative connectors of each servo as long as you isolate the signal wires for each individual servo. The MPX connectors as I noted is well suited for this application...
Old 01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
kestrel53065

Thank you Michael. I will look at the pins that you suggest. The pins that I have are some very small Deans.

Just curious, but how many servos could be powered by one wire coming from the Rx? For example, on a six servo wing, there would be six signal wires and one + and one - coming from the Rx. Then the wires would split at the other side of connector. Could there then be one + and one- going down the length of each wing with the servos "T'd" to them?

I have a flap/ aileron model and just wired each servo using extensions.

Sorry for these basic questions. Electricity was never a strong point for me. I guess that I never had the need to learn it before.

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:23 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You methodology is plausible and will work. My main concern as you noted is the current handling capability of the custom wiring harness. In GS applications with high power digitals I would run individual servo wire sets directly to each servo from the RX. It falls back to the anticipated loads and servos in play. Typical heavy duty servo wire is 22awg and can handle the needs of three servos easily, I assume each wing halve would have its own connector set? The MPX connectors have six pins.

I'd purchase HD extensions with quality gold plated connectors of the required length and cut loose the male end of the plug and solder it to the MPX connector on the wing end and something similar on the fuse side. Eliminate or minimize the OEM connectors.

I am familiar with the small Dean’s connectors they would also suffice; however the MPX stuff is superior in this application IMO.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 AM
kestrel53065

Thanks Michael.

I don't need to do a six servo wing at this time but at least now I understand it.