RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MPI Servos, Any Good?

Old 11-21-2002, 12:49 PM
propstrike
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MPI Servos, Any Good?

I've been looking at the ads for MPI servos offered by Maxx products. They seem very cheap with some great specs. Example: Transit time .08 with around 100 ounces of torque all for only about $45 dollars. Doesn't say, but I take it that's on 6 volts.

Seems to good to be true.

Anybody have experience with these babies. Let me know what you think before I buy.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:42 PM
cczarnik
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm very interested in these as well. I have some new Hitec 945's that have roughly the same spec at 2x the price. The Hitecs have more deadband that I care for in an $80 servo. I have a Patty Extra that I'm working on, and MPI's might just fit the bill. But I too would like to get some feedback before I try them out. Chuck
Old 11-21-2002, 11:21 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The current MPI coreless servos are the same ones FMA was selling as their 35xx/36xx series up through early last year. I have a bunch of the FMA ones on-hand and a couple of the MPI versions.

They are strong, very fast and center quite well. I've only run them on 4 cells - never saw a need for 5.

However I've had two of these servos die in the same plane over the past couple of weeks.

The first failure was the rudder servo - it died in-air. The reason: one of the wires brroke loose of the motor. I resoldered both wires and potted them with RTV and its working fine.

The second servo was the rudder servo. This one died after a normal landing - when I walked over to retrieve the plane the elevator was in the full-up position and was nonresponsive to the TX stick. OMFG. I'm glad this one stopped working on the ground!

After a couple of minutes of sitting with the rx still on the elevator servo went zip! centered itself and worked like normal. Need I say that I didn't fly that bird again that day?

I haven't diagnosed the second failure - too busy. I suspect another broken wire, though.

Weird timing. I have recently swapped in a more powerful engine into this particular plane - perhaps there's some unusual vibration that wasn't there before.

BTW I have about a year on this particular airframe, and have never crashed it nor any of the on-board gear.

I plan to pull the remaining servos, inspect and resolder any dodgy joints then pot the wires with RTV.