Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range of GWS R-4PII Pico Type Narrow Band RX???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range of GWS R-4PII Pico Type Narrow Band RX???

I'm having a bit of trouble with conflicting information on this RX. Some sources say it's range is 500 feet (Pico), while others say it's 1000 feet (Narrow). Since it has both words listed on the RX I don't know which to believe. Exactly what is the range of this thing?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:14 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Range of GWS R-4PII Pico Type Narrow Band RX???

In my experience, they wotk to about 1000 ft if there are no other transmitters turned on and 500 or less if others are flying. They do not have very good rejection properties as they are single conversion.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

agreed with TLH...

and to add... the range indoors at an indoor fly-in..... is about 10 ft!

I've used them on foamies for a while now... but only outdoors and not around other people... when I took my foamies inside a gym with other people... I had to switch the RX out to a good dual cinversion one
(i use the FMA M5 now)
Old 01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
critterhunter

Well, the reason why I asked is I got a deal on one with matching crystal for $21 new at a LHS and couldn't pass on it. I use JR Sport full range RXs in my other two birds and am very happy with them. On this latest build, I'm converting a Challenger over to standard electronics, BP21 brushless motor, and 3 cell 2000ma lipos. The Challenger is the hardest plane to see for me compared to my BP21 Stryker or Extreme (also converted to standard electronics), so I like to keep it a good bit closer in the air. However, 500 feet may be pushing it as that's only about 160 yards or so. 1000 feet would be more than enough range for me. I'll be flying it in the country around other planes that are on the "toy" 27mhz frequency (stock parkzone/hobbyzone planes) versus my 72mhz JR 600SX radio. Do you think the 27mhz systems will interfer with it? If all else fails I'll just fly it by it's self and good and close. Opinions....will I be able to fly this plane out as far as I dare to still be able to see what it's doing? Thanks.

OH, and the instructions with this thing are not very clear at all. Can't figure out which of the 4 ports to plug the ESC into. Since this is an electric plane the battery power is provided through the ESC throttle connection to the RX, but the instructions list one port for throttle and one for battery...I think. I'll be setting it up for V-Tail operation and short of some experimenting it somebody can just tell me what ports to use that'd save me some time. Throttle on left stick, V-tail control with the right.