Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9Z discontinued production?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:34 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9Z discontinued production?

The 14MZ buyers probably will not be thrilled when the "Super" comes out in the next year or so; with no upgrade available to existing units.

If you asked the head of Futaba product development the question of whether there will be a "14MZ Super" the answer would either be 'no' or 'we cannot speculate' or something else that would lead you to believe the MZ is as good as it will ever get. But, based on past history, an upgrade is coming and there will not be a retrofit to the already installed units.

They already did it with a bunch of radios:
6X* 6X*S
7U* 7U*S
8U* 8U*S
9C* 9C*S
6EXA 6EXAS
I know this doesn't mean anything but I expect history to repeat itself.

I'm not a Futaba basher. I have two 6XAS systems, my brother has a Super 8. I really like my transmitters. I've considered getting a 9C for the extra model memories, and probably will do so in the next year.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

All valid thoughts and I agree with a lot of the statements, but if you consider that these are really just small computers which have the ability to transmit a radio signal, it becomes apparent that this type of updating problem will continue.

All you have to do is look at the home computer market, the progression and lack of ability to upgrade previous models to the current release has been going on for years now. Most times the upgrades are due to new hardware becoming available and retro fitting old MotherBoards is just not financially feasible, I think the radio thing is much the same...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Silent-AV8R

The difference is of course that all the radios you cited do not have the ability to BE updated without a hardware change. The cost of an update likely would be prohibitive for that reason.

The 14MZ can be updated by a downloadable file. So unless the "14 Super" that you are certain is coming has actual hardware changes to the TX itself, it should be able to be fully updated using the downloaded file method.

And I love the bashing of Futaba because they play their cards close to the chest. But tell me, which manufacturer anywhere does not?? Is anyone familiar with the nearly fanatical methods the car makers use to keep their product development secret>> The GM test facility in Mesa, AZ has RADAR to monitor for approaching aircraft!!! And I recall JR being pretty tight lipped about the 9303. Oh, and ask them what they have in the mill, I am certain that they will give you a full disclosure of everything they are working on, planned release dates, and estimated costs.

Sheesh!!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

In my findings the "Super' designation is for Futaba's mid-end radios. There was never a 9Z Super. The main differances between the 9Z and 9Z SCII was software and switches, both of which can easily be changed by the user on the 14mz. That's the beauty of the 14mz, it's completely modular software and hardware wise. Paying the extra money at first for the radio that alot of people can't come to terms with will save you money by keeping you from having to buy a completely new trasmitter. Instead when Futaba comes up with some upgrades that can be done to the 14mz you will not have to buy another radio, just upgrade you current with hardware, software or both.

-Kelly Gerber
Old 02-02-2006, 03:06 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Exactly......I have read from quite a few people that the 14MZ is all bells and whistles, and who needs it (?) Well, for one thing if you fly large Giant scale planes or jets......think about NOT having to buy any type of servo synchronizer such as the JR Matchbox, or Futabas MSA-10. With the 14MZ, you can pretty much put each servo into its own channel, and make adjustments to each one individually. The Picture of each plane is really nice. Having the radio confirm with audio that you just went to high rates, or put your manding gear down is really nice, because you dont have to look down to be sure, meaning you can keep your eyes on the model.
The 9Z has alot of really nice features too. I just didnt think they would replace it, because it didnt seem outdated, and although the 14MZ is super nice, most people arent into the hobby enough to warrent spending that kind of money for "Sunday" flying, and the 9Z was the only radio in between..............
Old 02-06-2006, 02:02 AM
jcz25

I just picked up a 9z for 500 bucks was it worth it? I need to feel beter about this buy.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:47 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Yes, it was........
Old 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Depends a little bit on whether or not it is a WC2?

If it is, you stole it! If it isn't, that's a fair price (if it's been recently checked out by Futataba) from all the looking I've done before I broke down and bought a new one. You may want to consider sending it in for a service check if it hasn't been done recently...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Well I was actually thinking of picking up a 9Z to upgrade from my 9C until this..Im actually contemplating going to the "dark" side that is JR!![8D] Ive been looking hard at the 9303..seems to have everything the 9C has plus flight modes..Id only have to sell my TX and 2 PCM rx's so switching over wouldnt be too big of a deal...I can swing a 600$ radio but 1000-1500$ fugetaboutit!!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Anybody has a 9Z for sale??

I also hate the way Futaba makes their best to sell higher end radios by removing important features from lower end radios. If you look at it, the average modeller now flies aerobatic planes that need 7 channels : 2 for ailerons, 2 for elevators, 1 for rudder, 1 for throttle and one for choke. Why don't they make a top of the line 7 channel radio, that is what the average serious modeler needs?? Now I just ordered the 9C Super knowing the the features I really want are only on the too-expensive-for-me 9Z and the 14MZ (flight modes). That really suck purchasing something that does not have what would have cost about 1$ in developpement to include in radios that everybody could purchase.

End of complaining...
I have a 9Z WC2 on eBay. Just search on Futaba 9Z and you'll find it.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:16 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude

I have a 9Z WC2 on eBay. Just search on Futaba 9Z and you'll find it.

What did you replace it with, Pete?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What did you replace it with, Pete?
Hi Steve, I'm planning on replacing it with a 14MZ. When I decided to make the switch the 14MZ in January Tower's website said the 50MHz version was supposed to be in in late January. Then it said late February, and now it says late March. I sure hope they're going to deliver on the 50MHz 14MZ soon or else I'm going to be grounded.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

You have to look at it from Futaba's standpoint.
Futaba has the 9Z...and whether you admit it or not, it is an AGING platform. The only reason its still around is simply because of its popularity and how well it was made, and because of its "competition heritage". Futaba left the radio alone as long as they could. Now that there is new technology out, they dont have a choice. They arent going to backtrack and try "blinging" out the 9CAPSuper, and they certainly arent going to revamp the 14MZ that they just sold to everyone for 2K bucks. They cant make changes to the existing 9Z because of its aging technology...so the only option they have is to replace it with something they can work with.

The 14MZ, is still king...no matter how you look at it. The JR crowd has been preaching "Its got issues" refering to the 14MZ's programming errors and glitches (it's running WINBLOWS...what did you expect), but the 14MZ has more features, is upgradeable, has seperate firmware and operating systems, good construction, and a whopping 14 ch's. Its the Ferrari of radios, and nothing JR has comes close...period.

JR doesnt have, and will NEVER have anything like the 14MZ. Not because they dont want to...its because they cant. The main reason is the screen on the radio. Futaba manufactures their own screens for the 14MZ in house. JR unfortunatly doesnt have that capability, so while they could make a radio with the features, it would be very difficult for them to put it in a box with the on screen functionality that the 14MZ has without spending lots of money outsourcing the screen. They certainly wont buy the screens from Futaba. And if they did outsource them, the cost of the radio would be so high...people would just buy the 14MZ because its cheaper.

If JR wants to kick it up, and really make a hot radio to compete with the 14MZ...they need to make one that runs Linux, and uses a onboard GUI. Then stick a USB port on the side, and include a CD with a front end interface that allows you to go "INTO" the radio to make adjustments, and tweak it out...or beat Futaba to the punch and release a competition level Spread Spectrum radio.

Honestly...I think JR's days are numbered. Shame cause they made some really nice radios. It looks like they tried a new marketing strategy by going for the electric flyers and teaming up with Horizon for the Spektrum, but that split manufacturing deal might hurt them in the end.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You have to look at it from Futaba's standpoint.
Futaba has the 9Z...and whether you admit it or not, it is an AGING platform. The only reason its still around is simply because of its popularity and how well it was made, and because of its "competition heritage". Futaba left the radio alone as long as they could.
Yeah, right. You need to look at it from a business standpoint. The reason the 9Z lasted so long is because of a lack of competition and a lack of R&D funds to develop a new radio. Why spend money on R&D if you don't need to? If sales are good and competition doesn't exist why incur the operating expenses?

Now that there is new technology out, they dont have a choice. They arent going to backtrack and try "blinging" out the 9CAPSuper, and they certainly arent going to revamp the 14MZ that they just sold to everyone for 2K bucks. They cant make changes to the existing 9Z because of its aging technology...so the only option they have is to replace it with something they can work with.
There really isn't that much earth shattering techlology in a 14MZ. It's still a bit outdated compared to most consumer electronics on the market today. Has the USB port on the 14MZ been implemented yet? PDAs have had the technolog in the 14MZ for quite a few years already.

The 14MZ, is still king...no matter how you look at it. The JR crowd has been preaching "Its got issues" refering to the 14MZ's programming errors and glitches (it's running WINBLOWS...what did you expect), but the 14MZ has more features, is upgradeable, has seperate firmware and operating systems, good construction, and a whopping 14 ch's. Its the Ferrari of radios, and nothing JR has comes close...period.
The 14MZ is only king because we have a very limited market. It may be king in its field, but in the big scheme of things it's not really all that impressive.

JR doesnt have, and will NEVER have anything like the 14MZ. Not because they dont want to...its because they cant. The main reason is the screen on the radio. Futaba manufactures their own screens for the 14MZ in house. JR unfortunatly doesnt have that capability, so while they could make a radio with the features, it would be very difficult for them to put it in a box with the on screen functionality that the 14MZ has without spending lots of money outsourcing the screen. They certainly wont buy the screens from Futaba. And if they did outsource them, the cost of the radio would be so high...people would just buy the 14MZ because its cheaper.
I never say never, but hey, that's me.

If JR wants to kick it up, and really make a hot radio to compete with the 14MZ...they need to make one that runs Linux, and uses a onboard GUI. Then stick a USB port on the side, and include a CD with a front end interface that allows you to go "INTO" the radio to make adjustments, and tweak it out...or beat Futaba to the punch and release a competition level Spread Spectrum radio.
Linux has nothing to do with it. There's no point in implementing technology for the sake of technology. It certainly does look like Spektrum is on their way towards making Futaba scramble. That $2K 14MZ still cannot answer the problem that the $200 Spektrum does, which is eliminating frequency control.

Honestly...I think JR's days are numbered. Shame cause they made some really nice radios. It looks like they tried a new marketing strategy by going for the electric flyers and teaming up with Horizon for the Spektrum, but that split manufacturing deal might hurt them in the end.
I don't think JR will be going away anytime soon. What they did looks like a really smart thing. They've got the technology and pricepoint to dominate the market and make some serious money. Actually it was pretty damn smart on their part. Now they've captured the largest segment of the hobby (parkflyers) with a radio that solves the frequency control issue available at a price point to match.

Futaba has some serious egg on their face....

Old 02-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Josey Wales

Ive been a 20 year Futaba user and have had 0 problems..Unfortunately Im looking to upgrade my 9C and was going to prolly get the 9Z but not now..And Im not going to spend 12-1400$ dollars for a 12Z..So Im about to make the switch to a JR 9303..Ive read the manuals online and it seems easy enough to program..There are no hobby stores around me where I can pick one up and see how it feels unfortunately...Maybe Futaba is planning on something to bridge the gap between the 9C and 12Z but right now I think the 9303 is a great compromise.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not sure where you are in NJ, but try Hobby Hut in Pompton Plains, NJ, they may have one, or try attending the upcoming WRAM show. There may be a 9C there.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Josey Wales

Actually I have a 9C and am looking at the 9303 but IM near Atlantic City and thats a pretty good hike!
Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Tobe
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Unfortunately Im looking to upgrade my 9C and was going to prolly get the 9Z but not now..And Im not going to spend 12-1400$ dollars for a 12Z..So Im about to make the switch to a JR 9303.
I was in the same position last year when I needed to replace my 9C... Knew the 9Z was on the endangered species list and the 14MZ... Well, 2K and it comes with a cheap looking chrome plated plastic face just like the entry-level transmitters??? Don't get me wrong, if the price were a little more reasonable I would have gotten one to replace the 9C and avoided selling/replacing all my Futaba recievers with JR.

So, I got the 9303 and have been 100% satisfied. The programming is as easy as the 9C and the ergonomics are much better, especially if you have large hands. Also, I would have gotten the 10X but I fly both planes and helis and wanted programming for each. Check Heliproz.com, they have good package prices and can get the airplane version if you want.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Josey Wales

Well since I only have 2 9ch rx's its not such a big deal to switch..For me the only selling point of the 9303 is the flight modes..However Ive fine tuned both my planes to do everything I need using the three pos switch and a few pmixes..I know flight modes are more versitile but I like to keep things simple..
Old 02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Pavan

If JR, Hi-tec, Airtronics etc go out of business. We will pay the following for Futaba radios:-

6EXAX US$ 600
9CAPS, CHPS US$ 1100
T12MZ US$ 2400
14MZ US$ 3500

Ever think about that??? Competition helps the end consumer.

Before you slam me...I am a Futaba guy.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Are you joking here?? LCD screens are CHEAP!!!! We have them on cell-phones, car radios, I-pods, PALM computers, GPS hand-held systems, computer screens, big TV's, digital cameras, etc............................................... .................................................. .......

I also can't believe Futaba manufactures their screens, but then, what do I know!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:05 PM
RightThrust

The differance in price comes in ammount of production. There are alot more cell phones, I-pods, etc... made than 14mz's. That's probably a very special screen with a very low production rate compared to something on such a monstorous scale as cell phones. It all has to do with production numbers.

-Kelly Gerber
Old 02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: RightThrust

The differance in price comes in ammount of production. There are alot more cell phones, I-pods, etc... made than 14mz's. That's probably a very special screen with a very low production rate compared to something on such a monstorous scale as cell phones. It all has to do with production numbers.

-Kelly Gerber

Yeah totally true but there are companies out there that are geared to produce these things and can make them CHEAP no matter what with their EXISTING AND FULLY PAID equipment.

Futaba can't do it home, its illogical.

It's like me trying to fabricate my own wipers for my car to save money, it just does not make sense. Its like if Gaphtec produced its own epoxy to manufacture their landing gears.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Radio control gear is a tiny part of Futaba's overall capability. They make a lot of vehicle instrumentation, among other things. Futaba CAN "do it home"....

Personally, I have always wondered WHY that JR has yet to even equal the 9Z (and now 14MZ), much less surpass them. It is rather obvious to anyone who has owned a couple of them that JR has not increased processor capacity on the successive versions of the PCM 10 radios; but have simply moved things around, deleted this, added that, etc.

The 9303 is a serious attempt, and by far their best effort yet. I've looked at Tobe's radio, and it is quite impressive. I would certainly buy one over a 10X, today; because the 9303 is more flexible.

One would assume that JR is working on a replacement for the 10X; but you never know.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Josey Wales

Its a shame the 9Z is on its way out..seems like its still an awesome radio that people want..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.