Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9Z discontinued production?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 10:51 PM
3D Joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9Z discontinued production?

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Radio control gear is a tiny part of Futaba's overall capability. They make a lot of vehicle instrumentation, among other things. Futaba CAN "do it home"....

Sorry, I stand corrected.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Pavan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Josey,

I cannot agree more with your statement that a good radio is on it's way out. I just bought a brand new 9ZHS WC2 radio last week and here are my reasons:-

1. I don't need anything more than 9 channels and it will fly large scale, jets and whatever you throw at it.
2. The switches AND sticks are assignable
3. In five years the 14MZ will also be outdated.
4. Most important you can buy a 5000 dollar radio system with all bells and whistles but if your fingers mean 99.999 percent of how you fly.

Regards,

Pavan
Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

For those of you thinking about switching to JR because the 9Z is on its way out...I would hold off for a while.

The problem is we dont know what Futaba is replaceing the 9Z with. Whats gonna happen if everyone switches to JR equipment and then Futaba drops a sub $1000 wonder machine with spread spectrum and 12 channels....your gonna be pzzd off that you bought that JR radio.

Bear in mind that Futaba's radios only make up about a third of their total business. They also manufacture spread spectrum, and wireless controllers for cranes and industrial applications, and a LOT of their business is in manufacturing display screens for car stereos, dashboards in car's, home theaters, all sorts of stuff.

FUTABA ROCKS.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Okay; so why don't they LET US KNOW what's in the wings? As I mentioned earlier, many of us are now a bit nervous because our prized 9Zs just became obsolete; which means getting them fixed could be problematic. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt; its why I HAVE a 9Z instead of a JR.

If we know what they're working on and plan to release, then, if my 9Z pukes, I can make the decision to pay to have it fixed (if it CAN be fixed), secure in the knowledge that a suitable replacement is coming. Or, make do with my 7C until the new radio is out.

If I DON'T know what's just around the corner, why should I pay to have the 9Z fixed, or suffer the limitations of the 7C, when I may be changing brands?

The Empire is not alone in these Secret Squirrel games; Horizon plays them too. And it is so much BS.

A lot of the modelers I have met through the years are basically wedded to whatever brand they began with; around here, the majority is, by far, Futaba. I mean, some of these people are actually AFRAID to switch brands, because of the unknown. I started with Futaba, then did JR for seven years, then went back to Futaba. Each brand has its strengths and weaknesses. But, as for me buying something strictly because of the label... those days are gone. And I for <damn> sure am not paying two grand+ for a transmitter/receiver, or even $1500+ for a 12-channel, etc.

Now that I've stopped flying helos, a plank 10X would do me just fine. Or a Stylus. Of course, if my 9Z dies today and I buy one of those other two tomorrow, the day after that it will be discontinued...[&o]
Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 PM
todhog
My Feedback: (9)

From what I have seen, the 9Z replacement will be that 12MZ that others have posted links to. It's not spread spectrum and it has a tiny green screen. About the only new part I see is the higher resolution and the 12 channels. I'm buying a 9Z to last me till spread spectum comes out and is mainsteam.

Todd
Old 02-13-2006, 05:41 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

Just did the same thing.....
Old 02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
bdavison

Im hanging on to my 9CapSuper until spread spectrum. And even then....I think Ill just pick up a SS module instead of a new radio.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:17 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: todhog

From what I have seen, the 9Z replacement will be that 12MZ that others have posted links to. It's not spread spectrum and it has a tiny green screen. About the only new part I see is the higher resolution and the 12 channels. I'm buying a 9Z to last me till spread spectum comes out and is mainsteam.

Todd
I too was singularly unimpressed with the 12MZ. I'm taking your road; and hoping that my 9Z (already four years old) can last.

9Z's have a pretty good track record in terms of longevity, if they're cared for. We may yet luck out...

The factory 1100 mAh battery isn't much, though; I went through two of them in four years. Oh, they still worked; but were lasting less and less per charge. Got a NOBs 2500 NiMH in there now; and it was STILL less $$ than a factory 1100 ni-cad, along with an extra pigtail so I can charge it with my A4.

I dunno, the 9Z is simply the cat's meow. I just hope something comes along as good, at a REASONABLE price.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM
IShootSharpStix

Is your NOBs pack from Hangtime.com?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
LSP972

I think so. Not sure about the company name; I called him on the phone. Its Steve Anthony's company up in New York state.

Great guy to deal with, and he KNOWS his business.

He used to work at SR Batteries.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Looks like the new radio is not on the Tower website.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&;I=LXLXU3&P=0

Still kind of crazy pricing if they don't have anything between this and the 9Z. It's still 2X the price of the 9Z.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:29 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

I'd almost bet a 10Z or 10C will pop up soon to offer an alternative to JR's 10X and possibly fill the price gap between the 9C and 12Z.
But, hard to tell. I think it's a bad time for anyone to buy any radio in the $400 to $900 range until things pan out.

-Rocko
Old 02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I agree
Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 AM
marcinkolodziej

The 9Z(synthetized) with the module and the receiver cost 1150 USD. Now we have modern transmiter 12Z with synth module and receiver 14 ch with the price of 1499 USD.
Not very bed. I think that the price will drop to 1300 USD after first few month on the market. So take care of your present transmitters, keep them alive and wait patiently few more months for better offer.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

The 14 has been out a year now. The suggested retail price is the same as the day it came out. Sure, you can get them for a few bucks less from other sources, and the same will be trues for the 12Z. But I would not hold my breath for a official price drop if the 14 is any indication.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:50 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

They havent dropped the price of the 9Z and its discontinued now..........
Old 02-18-2006, 09:26 AM
LSP972

Yeah; I was waiting for the price to drop when the discontinuance was announced, in hopes of picking up another one NIB with factory warranty for $500 or so. But it appears that The Empire simply allowed their stock to run out, conveniently neglecting to announce the cessation of production. THAT rumor (that Futaba stopped producing the radio) has been circulating for some time; so those who were interested in the "story", and failed to act in time, have only themselves to blame. I would have bought a NIB 9Z TX for $500; I decided some time ago NOT to pay "full boat" for one, opting instead to gamble that mine will last long enough until a viable replacement is available.

The one thing I know for sure is, the new T12Z, or whatever its designation is, isn't the "viable replacement" I'm looking for. As for those who say that the 14MZ "isn't selling well", how do you know??? I'll wager they've sold quite a few of them, and will sell quite a few of the T12Z. Heck, if I came into a cash windfall, I'd buy a 14MZ in a heartbeat. But seeing as I have to budget my hobby dollars (and this will get worse when I retire soon and become a "fixed-income" person), two grand for a radio is simply too far out of the box for me. Ditto for $1500 with no new technology.

On the one hand, I'm greatly annoyed. On the other, I know "they" are in business to make money; they are NOT in business to make brother-in-law deals to modelers.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:36 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

I loved my 9Z, although a bear to program at times. The 12MZ, it is equipped with the 5014 RX. Futaba still want you to cut the RX antenna if you have problems with Lock-Outs (i.e. you have lost your plane)! I won’t buy one until they come up with a real solution to the Lock-Out problems.
The 14MZ, as a former owner was not all that it was cracked up to be. You can't see the screen in daylight, problematic changing channels, and way over priced.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:58 AM
BR289

I do love the look of the 9Z, but I dont know how to program it. Period. I bought it to replace my 9CS and that radio is easy to figure out. I also have a 14MZ, but have only played with it. I am not really caring much about switching channels, but the receiver problem does scare me away from putting it into any of my planes, as I dont consider any of them " expendible".
The 12MZ looks like something from Wal-Mart...at least to me, and the cost doesnt seem to make it worth it. For the extra money,you could just buy the 14MZ.........
I will keep my 9Z as a backup, and hopefully figure out the programming..............
Old 02-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: DCGayhart

The 14MZ, as a former owner was not all that it was cracked up to be. You can't see the screen in daylight, problematic changing channels, and way over priced.
I'm glad someone else said it. It seems like so many 14MZ owners are ready to get 14MZ tattoos on their forehead. I agree, once you get under the covers and if you can see beyond the bling factor (which it seems a lot of people can't) it really isn't all that impressive.

Some not so impressive features:

1) The USB port, although there, is currently reserved for factory use only.
2) You need to remove the battery from the TX to charge it. Unless, of course, you buy Futaba's optional $150 charger. There's a great convenience feature.
3) The manual sucks. Geez, they can't even bind it like the 9Z manual?
4) $350 for a 5014 RX? Bend over here it comes again (BOHICA).
5) Yeah, it's 14 channels, but two of them are on/off only just like the 9th channel on the 9Z. False advertising, maybe?
6) Where is the 50MHz version? Delayed, delayed, and more delays.
7) Great touchscreen, but now I need to use a stylus? Another tool to lug around. Oh, be careful not to press too hard on that screen.
8) For $2200 what does it do to prevent you from being shot down? It doesn't have the scanner feature the Multiplex 4000 does. How long has the competition had that feature? Oh, wait a minute, I don't have to worry about being shot down with a $200 Spektrum DX6.

Don't get me wrong here folks, the 14MZ is a nice radio. It's just not the be all end all radio many seem to think it is. However, its most impressive feature is its price.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:00 PM
BR289

Most of why I got a 14MZ was because of all the "Little" stuff. I have alot of models, and the ability to hold alot more than the 9C or 9Z without a campac is nice.
The one thing about it is that while some people dont get it, the 12 channels are great for large scale planes in that you can give each servo its own channel, rather than using servo synchronizers and thats a great feature.
Alot of it is "Bells and Whistles" but that what makes it great. There are alot of people that say the same thing about the 9Z, in that most of it isnt used, and that may be true, but it depends on the type of flying. Most "Sport" fliers can easy get away with a 4-6 channel radio, but yet they opt for the 9C.........
As far as the manual, I am sure that they just rushed it out to keep the radio from being delayed on the market! Its also funny how many times it has been mentioned that a "Binded" manual would be out, but after a year on the market, its still not around.
When the 14MZ is purchased, a paper is included to sign up for the "Flyers Club", and they will send you a Binder, and polo shirt. I have had to send them the info twice ( and I know others that have had to do the same ), because whoever was running it lost the information, and I registered my radio back in October or November and still have not received anything.
I am hoping that for the people that want to replace the 9Z with possibly the 12MZ, they wont have to wait around for half of the supossed benefits of buying that radio..................
Old 02-18-2006, 01:21 PM
bdavison

I think Futaba may have shot themselves in the foot with the 12MZ. It leave a wide gaping hole between the 9CapSuper, and the 12MZ....I think theres alot of people that are going to go to a JR 10X. If they would have made the 12MZ for around 900 bucks it probably would have went over REALLY well. I only hope that they will come out with a decent 10ch TX in between the 9CAPS and the 12MZ. And it needs to be under a grand to be efficient.

Im sticking with my 9CAPS. Im still not willing to switch to JR.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
BR289

I am not really sure why they discontinued anything at this time with "Spread Spectrum" on the way. Maybe Spread Spectrum is farther away than one thinks in large, glow/gas powered planes.........It just doesnt seem to make alot of sense.
I think JR makes a really nice radio, but am not switching either, and the 10X they have is getting to be old too. Its not that any of the features on either radio are old, the manufacters just feel the need to bring something different out to sell more of.......
Their bottom line is after all, to make more money than anyone ever needs!
Maybe Bill Gates will design a radio that will have the plane fly itself, and all we will have to do is tell the radio what we want the plane to do!
Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Im still not willing to switch to JR.
Well, after reading Pete's little treatise, I just decided thumbs-down on a 14MZ, even if I DO come into a cash windfall. There's one at my club, and I THOUGHT I saw the guy using a stylus the other day. To heck with that; just something else to mis-place.

If you don't fly helis, a plank-version 10X will, for all practical purposes, do anything a 9Z will for an airplane. The 9Z's big advantage is the integral heli software, for those of us who dabble in that.

Since I've basically quit flying helis, a 10X is looking better and better. I flew a 10SXII for several years, and the 10X is basically the same. I was thinking about an AirTronics Stylus, but I'm familiar with the JR interface, and AirTronics availability is sparse, to say the least.

JR stuff is excellent; it would just cost a lot to replace all my receivers. Everything else will interchange.

Of colurse, I'm typing this with fingers crossed, hoping it is all an academic discussion...[&o]
Old 02-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell
Well, after reading Pete's little treatise, I just decided thumbs-down on a 14MZ, even if I DO come into a cash windfall. There's one at my club, and I THOUGHT I saw the guy using a stylus the other day. To heck with that; just something else to mis-place.
Hi Steve, please don't let me influence your decision. I'm just trying to look at the 14MZ objectively and point out its strengths as well as its weaknesses. This is something you won't see from the two gallon experts on RR. I swear some of them are willing to sell organs to get a 14MZ. I don't get it, it's just a radio.

Despite the shortcomings of the 14MZ I'm still planning on getting one. Actually, I really don't have much choice now that I sold my 9Z WCII. I was able to get a little over $600 for my 9Z WCII. So, rather than focus on the $2000 price tag I was able to leverage $600 from my 9Z WCII so it's not nearly as bad as directly dropping $2000 on a radio. I just hope the 14MZ won't be obsolete once DSS goes mainstream.

Why have you stopped flying helis?

Here is exactly what the manual says about the the stylus:

Page 16
"Touch the panel with your fi nger or the attached
stylus pen, which is also used as a toolbox, to enter
data.
*Plastic film is attached on the glass of the touch panel.
Please be careful so that you don't scratch the touch panel
with something hard, such as metal and sand sticking on
the surface. And don't push the touch panel too hard and
don't give any physical shock to the surface.Although you
may find some air bubbles under the plastic panel due to
environmental changes such as temperature, it is not a
defect."

Page 21
"Stylus pen
Rubber cap is attached on the tip of the toolbox.
You may use this tool as a stylus pen for operating
touch panel. This stylus pen can let you do more
precise operation than fingers without damaging
the surface."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.