Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need OPINIONS of Prism 7

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 07:10 AM
putt_13
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need OPINIONS of Prism 7

Hello,
I was gonna get a Hitec Eclipse 7, but havent been able to find one. I have a guy offering to sell he his Prism 7, with Spectra module. Now, can I have your guys opinions of the Prism 7. What are your likes, dislikes, and anything in between. Thanx Patrick
Old 11-09-2002, 03:55 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Putt I have four Prism 7's and one Eclipse all with Spectra's and I love them all.

The Prism is not quite full featured as the eclipse, three model memory, a small screen, no electronic trims and a little cheezier look. Now having said that the Eclipse's predecessor (Prism) is a fine radio that can do some things the Eclipse cannot. For one it is PCM selectable and the Eclipse is not. OK it does not have electronic trims but does have something called trim rate, this I have never seen on any other radio it is an infinately adjustable response to the movement of the trims. A fantastic feature that I would take over electronic trims any day. The Prism as well as the Eclipse both have dual rates on rudder also, once agine something you don,t want to be without after experiancing it and it is not avaliable on many competitive radios.

Last but not least both are shift selectable and use the Spectra system, need I say more

John
Old 11-09-2002, 04:51 PM
putt_13

Default Selling

Hello,
Are you willing to sell me on of your Prism. Thanx Patrick
Old 11-09-2002, 07:25 PM
JohnBuckner

No sorry Patrick but I always have an eye open now to pickup an extra if it has a Spectra particularly since it is such a little understood radio and discontinued.

John
Old 11-09-2002, 07:42 PM
putt_13

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
since it is such a little understood radio and discontinued.
Why do you buy so many of them. Do you take them apart, and see how they work. I was just confused by why you bought so many, and why are they "little understood". -patrick
Old 11-09-2002, 09:14 PM
JohnBuckner

No Patrick I am not an electronic tinkerer But I do maintain a fleet of about thirty RC aircraft the number varies with the flyable 'plug % play' rate of about twenty at any given time so you see with four Prisms and one Eclipse the load is barely provided for and am occasionaly short of Tx space. Yes there are incredably expensive radios that will handle far more but of course I have to live down here in the low rent district where the Hitec's do the job beautifully. Oh by the way you won,t touch another synthesized system for way over a thousand dollors unless the latest permutation of the new Polks Tracker/Seeker system pans out.

John

Sorry I just noticed the last part of your question about what I meant by 'misunderstood'. The biggest problem has been with Hitec so far ahead of the competition with its Spectra system so five years or so ago and the only other synthesized system listing in the ballpark of fifteen hundred dollors. Very few flyers really understood the value of such a system or what it would do for them the combined features of the Spectra system and shift selectability does in fact turn all your old flight packs into full featured systems with modern computer features, just think about what will do for your old aircraft. Irregaurdless of what make or frequencys are used in them. Now how many times have you seen or perhaps bought used airplanes with flight pack in them but no Trany. If you have not you will, A Prism or Eclipse will handle it all. Did I mention the advantage if you go to flyins or involved in competive events? Oh, man thats to much typeing.

Long ago Hitec specialized in cheap not so great radios but not for the last five years or so and unfortunately this is all some are willing to remember So many would not bother to learn that as long ago as five or six years ago that the Prism that it was reliably PCM/PPM selectable , shift selectable and legally freq. changeble in minutes with most of the more ordinary computer type mix's and features.

Just one last point all you have to do to realize that Hitec means business is in customer support being the first with an on line factory rep that you can ask direct questions, just read these forums and you will see about their support. As a mater of fact I just not long ago being being involve in pylon racing I lose airplanes all the time, I sent in a bunch of Rx's/servo's that had all been obviously damaged in crashes, expecting to be charged, well guess what? no charge.

So please forgive me for rambling on, am I a satisfied customer, you bet. I am heading to the post office now with another load of pylon munched stuff.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:57 PM
putt_13

Default Bling

This if off topic,
but what is the MOST EXPENSIVE radio you can buy. One of those Futuba 9 channel ones? -Patrick
Old 11-09-2002, 10:16 PM
JohnBuckner

Well the Futaba 9 syntesized, one of the JR 10 versions with perhaps the german Multiplex at the top of the money tree when compared with similar flight packs.

John
Old 11-09-2002, 10:37 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I think that it is the Multiplex Profi (or something like that) retailing for around $3000 last I saw. 100 model memory, mix anything to anything in any way. A really neat Tx.
I, however, have the Prisim without the Spectra. It is a very nice radio, and for the price, it is without comparison. Sometimes when I am setting one up for a strange plane that I have concocted, I wish for more mixes. V tail, Elevon, flaperons, and a few more are the choices. But it has served me for 2 years with nothing more than a broken switch and antenna, both my fault. I will not trade it for anything, except maybe an Eclipse.

By the way, it is VERY easy to program.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:37 PM
putt_13

Default WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by beenie
I wish for more mixes. V tail, Elevon, flaperons, and a few more are the choices.
WHAT, I thought it had V-Tail, Elevon, and Flaperon mixing. Are you saying it doesnt? -Patrick

PS- What other mixes that you would like? I ask because I dont really have any knowledge of all the mixes.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:41 PM
putt_13

Originally posted by JohnBuckner
sent in a bunch of Rx's/servo's that had all been obviously damaged in crashes, expecting to be charged, well guess what? no charge.
Are you saying that you can send back any Hitec servos or Rx's and they will fix them for free? Thanx Patrick
Old 11-10-2002, 12:43 AM
JohnBuckner

I can only say that is exactly what happened in my case on several occasions and to others on this forum.

The Hitec Prism 7X has:

Seven channels
Three model memory
PCM/PPM selectable
Mode one or two capable
Trainer switch
Model copy
Spectra synthesizer option
Shift selectable
EPA on all channels
Low battery alarm
Flight timer counting up or down with alarm
Landing mode switch
Dual rates and expo avaliable simultaniously on rudder, aileron and elev.
Trim rates on aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle
elevon mix
V-tail mix
Aileron/rudder mix
elevator to flap mix
Flaperon mix Note: flaperon mix is useable on a rotary knob which allows the flaperons to also be used as spoilerons i.e. full camber control.

John
Old 11-10-2002, 02:54 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have standardized on Prisms. I only have 2 but I'm only flying 4 models right now. I liked it because of the mixes available and the PCM PPM and shift selectable features, as well as Spectra. I sold my Airtronics TX and kept my CH41 receiver and it is in a float plane. I have two aircraft on CH14 because of excellent deals on equipment. I sold a Focus 4 TX also to help pay for the Prisms. I also have a couple of receivers on CH44 because that is what I started with Hitec on. I have been fortunate to buy a NIB Prism from a reputable shop online and then a used PRISM in very good shape . I like the non-electronic trim, which still has trim memory, so you can normally fly with all trim centered.

One Eclipse with Spectra could do the job and I believe have more features but no PCM.

With 2 transmitters I have some flexibility. Should one have a problem, I can send it in for repair and still fly. I could buddy up with them if I'm getting used to a new hot flyer, since my flying has a long way to go.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:53 AM
putt_13

Hello,
Well I am buying A Prism 7x for 132 shipped. It comes with spectra, sp400 motor and gunther prop, a AA battery box, 7 cell KR 500 battery pack. It seems to be a GREAT deal. Thanx Patrick
Old 11-10-2002, 07:23 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

I bought my first Prism 7 with spectra in '96 or '97.......whenever the new 7x had just came out......got a good deal on it......I have never looked back.........

I flew strictly Futaba from 1987 when I started.......bought a Flash 4 in '96........but I did not care for the digital trims......I crashed 1 plane trying to get used to them.......

Wehn I purchased the Prism 7.....I got a good deal on two extra receivers and servos......so I sold all my other radios......I have never regretted it.....

Yeah....maybe some of the newer radios have more models in memory......but I like the simplicity of the programming...the idea that I can change ferquencies at the field........

I just bought another used one recently and would buy another one if I find one.......definitely a keeper.......

I guess that makes me a real Hitec Redneck.......or is that a Redneck with a Hitec....... :}
Just my $01375 worth......
Old 11-10-2002, 08:05 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Sorry for any confusion, the Prisim does have those mixes that I mentioned. However, if I wanted to mix channel 3 to 6, for example, the Tx wouldn't do that. It is, however more than adiquate for sport flying. Unless you have more than 3 planes, then you need another Tx, or an Eclipse. I would and do reccommend the Prisim.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:56 AM
Twister2
My Feedback: (4)

For John B -

Say John, I've been flying with the Prism7 for a long time and have never used the trim rate feature. I couldn't think of a reason to really need this feature. I'm curious as to why you think it is so handy. I've been thinking about selling the Prism and switching to Eclipse....but then I'd have digitial trims, would I like that?
Old 11-21-2002, 04:25 AM
JohnBuckner

Twister I have four Prism 7's and one Eclipse and I do love them all. I tend to fly mostly on ends of the speed spectrum. Being very involved with pylon racing and for relaxation enjoy oldtimers with some glider flying.

With faster airplanes or perhaps sensitive airplanes it is far easier to use a mechanical trim that can be infinately toned down. By using this feature instead of getting a very large change with full throw it is easier to get a smooth and fine trim adjustment in the air understress than it is to alternately click a switch or if you hold that switch it moves to far to fast. The rate controlled mechanicals really are smoother to use than electronic that you have no control over other than mutiple pushes on the switch.

If you have only been using 100% trim rate by all means try it. Just dial your rate down to 50, 75% or whatever. The advantage will soon become apparent. Not real sure but I can,t think of any other radios with this little known advantage.

I tend to keep the pylon ships on the Prism's and the the slower stuff on the Eclipse.

John
Old 11-21-2002, 06:16 AM
CaptKAOS

I tried a Flash 4 before I bought my first Prism 7........I did NOT like the digital trims at all.......almost lost a nice little .10 powered scratch built plane with it........either too little or too much of a trim change......

I will take the Prism 7 any day........

My $.01375 worth.........
Old 11-21-2002, 11:33 PM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

WHAT!!
where can I buy another prism w/spectra for $132??
Old 11-23-2002, 07:35 AM
CaptKAOS

I just bought one recently for all of $75......so they're out there.....just gotta keep the ol' eyeballs open....... :}
Old 11-23-2002, 07:36 AM
4*60

With Spectra ?? I don't think so!!
Old 11-23-2002, 04:24 PM
putt_13

Default Where

Hello,
I found a guy that was willing to sell my his Prism 7 with spectra for 150. That was too high for me, so I bargained. I got him down to 132 shipped, and he even included a 6 or 7 cell 500mah battery(its not right in front of me?, Multiplex sp480 motor, Gunther prop. Just negociate. What are you guys paying for your Prisms? -P
Old 11-23-2002, 08:40 PM
4*60

$150 was about the norm. So you got a good deal, assuming it's in great shape.