Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old Radio Frequencies

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 11:41 PM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Radio Frequencies

I need to find an old frequency chart or whatever else may be required to determine the frequency of some equipment I have come into.
I have two transmitters, one with a green and white flag and one with red and white.
The two receivers have crystals marked 33.6127 and 36.3475 respectively.
Which receiver goes with which transmitter??
Old 11-22-2002, 03:12 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Frequencies

Here's what I remember:

Brown/White = 72.08
Blue/White = 72.16
Red/White = 72.24
Purple/White = 72.32
Yellow/White = 72.96
Green/White = 75.64

2nd Octave crystals - single conversion mixer freq:

36.3475 Crystal * 2 - .455 (mixer) = 72.24 Red/White

33.6127 Crystal * 2 - .455 (mixer freq) = 66.7704 ???? (typo???)

Working backwards: 75.64 + .455 / 2 = 38.0475

Dunno about that crystal, not likely its a TX crystal either.

What brand and are these collector pieces??
Old 11-22-2002, 05:06 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

An addition to Thud's list is: 72.40 Orange and white.

John
Old 11-22-2002, 11:39 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Man...

Does this post bring back memories
Old 11-22-2002, 02:49 PM
avinut

Thanks a lot Thud_Driver--you can tell who the young folks are huh??
Of course I have already found out that JohnBuckner knows everything any way.
Now I just need to figgure out what to do with Orbit radios!
Old 11-22-2002, 03:50 PM
avinut

Yeah I guess you would have to say these are collector pieces. This old stuff is really neat electronics. I have three Orbit radio setups from a deceased flyer that I want to do something with, like maybe sell them to an interested party, but I want to make sure it all works and is not a rip off if I sell it.
Two of them are single stick with the rotating rudder control on top and the third one is just a single stick. Rudder & elevator I guess?
I have removed the old batteries to prevent corrosion and had the units ready to bench test when I ran across the frequency question.
I still can't read that receiver crystal to be anything else. Maybe that second "three" is an 8? The things are soldered into the circuit board smack up against other components and practically impossible to read.
One of these transmitters has been "modified" to have an internal charge ckt. working off 115VAC!--Paper shows it came this way.
I have never been able to find a way to obtain technical info on any kind of radio and it hacks me off! There should be some kind of archive for this kind of stuff.
Anyhow thanks to you guys for the help. Being able to tie down one freq. should get me on the way.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:22 PM
Thud_Driver

Default Charger

If it's an old Orbit, that charger is original equipment. I had a couple, and, if I remember right, that's the way it worked. Lots of collectors out there who might have original manuals and such.

In the summer of '71, I went through about 6 crystals in my Orbit. Receiver had a metal case and a second half size circuit board in it. That was the year I was experimenting with cardboard covered foam fuselages and wings. Lots of people back then liked the single stick with rudder knob type radios. Has died off since except for those few who have kept the old systems.

PS: I knew there was a 72.40 but couldn't remember the color code for the life of me.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:06 PM
JohnBuckner

Avinut, most of the early analog and digital transmitters did have the internal charger. two plugs on the bottom with a coffee pot patchcord from an AC outlet to the tranny and another from the tranny to either the Rx switch harness or the battery plug itself. kinda neat huh.

Just like Thud said there are collectors out there and your stuff has value and I would not be real concerned about whether or not it was functional. I would just make sure anybody you sold to understood this stuff is very, very wide band and not legal. This in itself is kind of ironic since the much older systems on several channels of the 27 band is still legal and usable.

"knows everything anyway' Naww but i did learn one thing a long time ago; There are no Experts in this sport, Only Survivors.

John
Old 11-23-2002, 12:46 AM
avinut

You know, I look at this stuff and can't help but appreciate the handiwork involved that does not manifest itself in our "stamped out" electronic gear of today.
I sorta like the old "twist" rudder units myself. I have an old Kraft single stick that is still operational though illegal. Why did we have to put away the broad band stuff anyway?
Didn't we just insert more channels in between existing ones and thus cause the "narrow" requirement? My old junk ran just as good as my new however less convenient.
I havent figgured out the "second" wire requirement to the receiver on the one with internal charger. It has what looks to be a trainer cord connector on the bottom (I doubt that), the cord you referred to and a slide switch. There is a cord about 6" long that fits the "trainer" socket with a female end to go to something that can't be very far away!
I don't know where these collectors would be out there, any idea how one would contact such folk?
I am still waiting for someone to come up with a source of schematics and tech writeups for RC equipment. You would think these factory reps would want us to have access to such. Are they protecting The authorized repair shops or what? I can't believe anyone would consider the information proprietary.
By the way, one of these receivers has a metal case(but only one board). It is the one with only three channels. I never heard of anyone eating crystals like that!
Yeah John, but do you really think anyone would consider tryin to fly stuff like this? Figgure everyone knows it ain't legal.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:46 AM
JohnBuckner

Yes indeed some of that stuff was mechanically beautiful, If you get a chance check out someone still using an Ace Micro pro 8000 and early computer radio with unbeleveable programability a metal case that was designed instantly pop open with a squeeze and increditable metal gimbels.

giving up most of the broad band stuff became neccessary as payment of sorts to accquire all the new channels and it was not just a matter incerting new channels in the middle. It was a matter of a complete recodeing of the entire band structure with many of the old freq's not even existing any more or caught somewhere near something else not particularly even in the middle as is the case of one of my old freq orange and white 72.40. Now couple this with the fact that 'our' band is interspersed with paid commercial primary users who pay fantastic sum for the right to use the bandwidth to the tune of many 10's of thousands of dollars. Its easy to see why narrow band became a neccessity for us to stay in business and of course most of the real old stuff was incapable of being narrowbanded. With us officially listed as secondary users, the paid guys can mess with us but we better not infringe on them.

Do I think anyone would try to fly this stuff and everyone knows?
Sure you see it all the time and possibly the real question would be, but do they care? and many times we already know the answer to that one. Now in the case of the really old stuff on the 27 band it is legally operated all the time and there is a viable community of vintage RC's. Just check out the vintage forum on this board.

You ask where these collectors are well, your talking to one. In a small way. Let me tell you the single stick radios are highly prized and another are the eight and ten channel reed sets. To be honest with you your best bet will be a sale on 'E' bay. many people have just come up the vintage forum asking about their equipment here and the equipment sold right off and thats not even a sale forum.

John
Old 11-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Thud_Driver

Default Orbit

Since it's been 25 years since I used Orbit equipment, my memory is a bit hazy on the charger. What I remember is that the charger electronics were in the TX. You plugged in a power cord from the wall to the TX. The so called trainer socket was a DIN plug which connected to the receiver battery in the plane. The switch was to turn on the charging circuit. There should be a large power resister in the TX which knocks the current down to the right level. Means the TX got hot. You couldn't charge the receiver without also charging the TX. You should trace through the circuit and sketch it out. Was pretty simple as I remember.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:31 PM
avinut

Yeah Thud, thats whats in there all right. Looks like a 10 watter or bigger with the switch and the DIN plug. I really don't know how it connects to the rx battery 'cause all that is with it is a short cord to fit the DIN with a female Din on the other end.
Oh well, I am not going to be charging anything with it anyway.
The other two units that I have both have separate chargers.
Thanks again for all the good info.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:52 AM
Thud_Driver

Default DIN Connector

Your hint was what I needed. That female DIN connector connects up to a DIN connector on the airborne battery. (Could have been on the switch harness.) I was having trouble remembering whether it was my Controlaire/World Engines system that had the big DIN connector or the Orbit. That connector was the biggest piece in the airborne systen. Thought it was just as funny then as now. If you don't have anything like that with the flight pack, then somebody replaced it along the way.