Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

gear slop in survos ,

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 AM
flyjay77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gear slop in survos ,

in my 30% eagle I am useing futaba 3003 standard survos that have 49.5 oz of torque . the plane calls for at least 50 in the wings , I am using aeroshafts with 4-40 ball links on the ends of all four survos in the wings so that there is no slop in the pushrod , although the servos have a little slop in the gears , while the engine is running the ailerons vibrate , what efect will this have on the survos and will it turn into flutter in the air , feel free to send this around ,, I am useing a brison 3.2 for power /

jason,
Old 01-18-2006, 03:28 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gear slop in survos ,

I'm not sure exactly what kind of plane your 30% Eagle is but I'd be really worried about using a "standard" servo in any plane that big, especially with a 3.2 cu/in gas engine up front -- me thinks you're asking for trouble.

Big planes should have strong servos and metal gears are also a great idea.

As you've noticed, the vibration from a gasser can really shake those control surfaces about and nothing but metal gears will stand up to that kind of abuse.

Don't risk your engine, airframe, radio gear and possibly lives by flying this thing with those wimpy servos.

Get yourself some good metal-geared ones -- they can be had from about $40 each (Hitec HS645MG) or $35 (Futaba S3305).
Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: gear slop in survos ,

Metal gears wear much faster than nylon gears and all metal gears will develope gear slop under high vibration conditions. Yes metal gears are stronger but need frequent replacement under severe vibration while nylon, if strong enough, seem to go on forever.